Cancelled Excursion

Pigin

The other day I was just checking my RSSC account with regards an upcoming cruise and to my amazement and horror I noticed that one of the pre booked excursions has been removed. :mad:

Now I'm guessing that this my happen very occasionally due to circumstances out of RSSCs control but I am left wondering the following:

Why have I not been notified?

At what point should or would I have been told?

How often do I need to check my account to see what else has changed?

Why can't or won't RSSC find another supplier for the excursion?

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

I look forward to your views and comments.

It happens, though for us only once or twice in our 14 Regent cruises. If it happens in advance, then you have probably rightly assumed it to be beyond Regent's control. Depending on the nature of the issue, it may not be solvable by finding another operator (site closed, for instance).

Regent doesn't proactively advise you of these changes so unless you or your TA are checking the cruise at intervals, you'd first find out on board when you don't get tickets for that event. Possibly you'd find out earlier if it was an excursion with a surcharge since I assume that the funds will be recredited quickly to your original form of payment...our cancelled tour(s) were no fee so I can't confirm.

Finding this out in advance as you did at least gives you a better chance of finding an alternate excursion while the availability may be better. You can also look into independently arranging a private tour to match what was cancelled (which may also inform you as to why the excursion was cancelled.)

Just as a general comment on the travel industry, communication is frequently not a strong suit. We have gotten hit or miss notifications of significant changes to air travel as well. I routinely check all of our travel arrangements periodically right up until we depart. Should I have to? No. But the effort has saved us some problems which would have been hard to fix when they'd have become noticeable.

The other day I was just checking my RSSC account with regards an upcoming cruise and to my amazement and horror I noticed that one of the pre booked excursions has been removed. :mad:

Now I'm guessing that this my happen very occasionally due to circumstances out of RSSCs control but I am left wondering the following:

Why have I not been notified?

At what point should or would I have been told?

How often do I need to check my account to see what else has changed?

Why can't or won't RSSC find another supplier for the excursion?

Has anyone else had this happen to them?

I look forward to your views and comments.

This happened to us on our last cruise. I called Regent and our excursion was still in their records. Turned out to be a computer glitch. The excursion reappeared on our calendar several days later.

I suggest you call Regent

Our T A receives notification from Regent about excursion changes and immediately sends them on to us. However there have been times we cleared a wait list and it just showed up in our booking. I check booking and pricing regularly as I prefer to be "hands on" ( or perhaps also called controlling). It is just me.

Our TA also contacts us (after Regent contacts them). This is one more reason to choose a TA that regularly books cruises on Regent..... they need to be on top of every change -- price, excursions, etc.

As has been posted, this does not happen often.

Note: Just realized that the OP is from the U.K. where things are done differently than in the U.S. and Canada. Apologize in advance if it is not typical for U.K. travel agents to contact their clients for these types of changes.

Edited by Travelcat2

Thanks for your posts and therein your observations.

It seems that some TAs work harder than others or are more adapt at this particular market. What I do see is a less than six star service from RSSC admin on both sides of the pond which is a pity.