QM2 Review: Transatlantic Crossing from a First-timer's Perspective

Bostonjetset

Enjoyed your review, Bostonjetset. In a few weeks I'll make the same journey, crossing westbound, on my first QM2 experience.

It's great to read from both new and experienced cruisers. I'm looking forward to a smooth crossing, hoping anyway. Glad you enjoyed yours!

• 2 weeks later...
11.57pm:

The FOD [Friends of Dorothy] meetup had about 8 attendees today and of course we had another long chat with H1! DH is already in bed but I think I'll go up on deck for a little before turning in.

Hey BostonJetSet - Was the FOD meetup announced/scheduled, or more casual/spontaneous? Curious, though with the group I'll be traveling with, 'family' won't be at all hard to find.

Hey BostonJetSet - Was the FOD meetup announced/scheduled, or more casual/spontaneous? Curious, though with the group I'll be traveling with, 'family' won't be at all hard to find.

FOD is 5:00 everyday in the Commodore Club. It's announced in the daily program.

FOD is 5:00 everyday in the Commodore Club. It's announced in the daily program.

As stated above; every day at 5 in Commodore Club is correct. The turnout was pretty good on our crossing; best FOD turnout of any trip we've been on other than NCL Breakaway from NYC.

**Watch out for the vase filled with lilies at the entrance. Someone always seems to knock it over and spill water everywhere! HAHA ;)

One of the best reviews I have read about a TA crossing. Can you tell us a little more about your class of cabin and your thoughts on it ?

And thanks of course :D

Why thank you!!! I appreciate the kind words.

We stayed in Britannia class. An inside stateroom on Deck 5 [#5220] that was directly next to the laundry facilities. When I booked, we had the option of this stateroom or one on Deck 9 or 10 [can't remember which] in the same grade. We chose Deck 5 as it is an easy 2 flights up to the promenade and an easy 2 flights down to dinner. It was a great location.

At first I was worried about being next to the laundry but we really did not get bothered by any noise and it turned out to be very convenient for us to wash our own clothes. We never really had to wait since we could easily assess the situation in seconds from our cabin.

The stateroom was well appointed and tasteful although very neutral in color palate. We are usually happy in any grade of cabin but as smokers we will rarely pay extra for a balcony anymore since we would have to go out on deck to smoke anyway. Not a big deal I guess; it saves us money and allows for more trips each year! :D One thing that I missed an in inside was the sofa. Most lines no longer have sofas in inside stateroom with Holland America being a main exception {on most ships}. QM2 insides were still a decent size though {although smaller than HAL} and there was more than enough space for the 2 of us.

Just back after our first time on QM2. (NY to Southampton, 11 to 18 October). Indeed, first time on anything other than a cross channel ferry.

This review was a great help in knowing what to expect.

So here are a few reflections of our crossing.

I’d read these forums and read some horror stories about taxis unable to find the terminal and embarkation queues. Our cab from Midtown was swift, the driver knew exactly where to head, and cost less than 30 bucks. Embarkation (even though we were an hour ahead of time) was rapid.

We had a sheltered balcony on deck 6. Didn’t spend much time on the balcony – but couldn’t face the idea of a windowless room. The balcony came into its own on the first evening. We happened to step out just as the pilot boat came alongside (about an hour after passing under the bridge) and we watched the pilot clamber out and across to the pilot boat. Not for all the tea in China would I do that.

We attended a few FoD meets. Maybe as many as 20 folk at the first one, but the seating arrangements meant it was hard to mingle with anyone other than the folk directly beside where you were seated. A minor criticism, and it was nice to have these gatherings in the official programme.

We were a (very) last minute booking and as such didn’t get choice of dining time. But we were assigned late dining in Brittania, which is exactly what we wanted. A table of six, and after the first evening I thought “oh dear, this is going to be hard work”. Two (much) older retired couples, who we seemed to have nothing in common with. But by day three we had all “jelled” and dinner was a riot of conversation and laughter.

The food was good, occasionally very good. Only one disaster – my salad on the first evening was just awful. A limp pile of tasteless lettuce. A dreadful start but everything after that was better. There was a lot of fish options and I was impressed at how well they managed to cook fish – given the scale on which the kitchens have to work.

Food in Kings Court is good - we did all breakfasts and a few lunches there. Having read some other reviews, we didn’t suffer food running out. But whereas the rest of the ship is elegance personified, Kings Court is a step down. For UK readers, think seating in a motorway service station….

Our speakers were a mixed bag.

Former policeman Simon Dinsdale was superb – a witty and engaging speaker – even when talking about something as grisly as murder.

Julian Lloyd Webber is not my cup of tea, but he was a sideshow on the event – he simply introduced a concert with his wife Jiaxin Lloyd Webber and a young pianist (I’ve mislaid the programme and I’m embarrassed to say I can’t recall his name). This was quite astonishing – really brilliant.

Captain Wells (another captain, not the QM2 Captain Wells) gave one talk that was fascinating (his career as a ships pilot) but another (fish life of the Atlantic) that had me snoozing in nano seconds.

Our fellow passengers were quick to tell us that this crossing was unusually smooth, barely force 3 for the first couple of days. We hit force 7 one evening in mid Atlantic (requiring all outside decks to be locked off) but by that stage I’d got my sea legs and wasn’t bothered at all. You notice some movement, but nothing alarming.

QM2 is marvellously smooth and silent. There was only one spot (in the Golden Lion pub) where we noticed any engine vibration – the rest of the ship is vibration free.

Has this experience tempted us to try other cruise lines? No.

Would we do QM2 again? Quite possibly.

Just back after our first time on QM2. (NY to Southampton, 11 to 18 October). Indeed, first time on anything other than a cross channel ferry.

This review was a great help in knowing what to expect.

So here are a few reflections of our crossing.

I’d read these forums and read some horror stories about taxis unable to find the terminal and embarkation queues. Our cab from Midtown was swift, the driver knew exactly where to head, and cost less than 30 bucks. Embarkation (even though we were an hour ahead of time) was rapid.

We had a sheltered balcony on deck 6. Didn’t spend much time on the balcony – but couldn’t face the idea of a windowless room. The balcony came into its own on the first evening. We happened to step out just as the pilot boat came alongside (about an hour after passing under the bridge) and we watched the pilot clamber out and across to the pilot boat. Not for all the tea in China would I do that.

We attended a few FoD meets. Maybe as many as 20 folk at the first one, but the seating arrangements meant it was hard to mingle with anyone other than the folk directly beside where you were seated. A minor criticism, and it was nice to have these gatherings in the official programme.

We were a (very) last minute booking and as such didn’t get choice of dining time. But we were assigned late dining in Brittania, which is exactly what we wanted. A table of six, and after the first evening I thought “oh dear, this is going to be hard work”. Two (much) older retired couples, who we seemed to have nothing in common with. But by day three we had all “jelled” and dinner was a riot of conversation and laughter.

The food was good, occasionally very good. Only one disaster – my salad on the first evening was just awful. A limp pile of tasteless lettuce. A dreadful start but everything after that was better. There was a lot of fish options and I was impressed at how well they managed to cook fish – given the scale on which the kitchens have to work.

Food in Kings Court is good - we did all breakfasts and a few lunches there. Having read some other reviews, we didn’t suffer food running out. But whereas the rest of the ship is elegance personified, Kings Court is a step down. For UK readers, think seating in a motorway service station….

Our speakers were a mixed bag.

Former policeman Simon Dinsdale was superb – a witty and engaging speaker – even when talking about something as grisly as murder.

Julian Lloyd Webber is not my cup of tea, but he was a sideshow on the event – he simply introduced a concert with his wife Jiaxin Lloyd Webber and a young pianist (I’ve mislaid the programme and I’m embarrassed to say I can’t recall his name). This was quite astonishing – really brilliant.

Captain Wells (another captain, not the QM2 Captain Wells) gave one talk that was fascinating (his career as a ships pilot) but another (fish life of the Atlantic) that had me snoozing in nano seconds.

Our fellow passengers were quick to tell us that this crossing was unusually smooth, barely force 3 for the first couple of days. We hit force 7 one evening in mid Atlantic (requiring all outside decks to be locked off) but by that stage I’d got my sea legs and wasn’t bothered at all. You notice some movement, but nothing alarming.

QM2 is marvellously smooth and silent. There was only one spot (in the Golden Lion pub) where we noticed any engine vibration – the rest of the ship is vibration free.

Has this experience tempted us to try other cruise lines? No.

Would we do QM2 again? Quite possibly.

I am so happy that so many people found my review helpful. It really was just my personal thoughts and observations of each day; nothing too fancy.

Thank you for coming to share your own experience!! Glad to hear you had a nice time. She really is a lovely and unique ship.

On your next crossing, be sure to check out a planetarium show if you want a quick nap!!! HAHA

• 3 weeks later...

Great review Bostonjetset!!! We did this last May and are doing it again next May. Can you tell me where you took national coach from? We did the train and it was expensive . Did you leave from London and where? Thanks Cathy... also where did you get off in Southampton?

Great review Bostonjetset!!! We did this last May and are doing it again next May. Can you tell me where you took national coach from? We did the train and it was expensive . Did you leave from London and where? Thanks Cathy... also where did you get off in Southampton?

Thanks for reading, Cathy! So glad you enjoyed my humble review :D

We took the National Express coach from Victoria Coach Station to Southampton Coach Station and then took a taxi to the pier. The taxi from So'ton coach to the pier was fairly quick and was only about 5-6 pounds...it is too far to walk with baggage. The National Express was the cheapest option and was extremely easy. We saw Cunard transfers at Victoria as well so they must offer this option at a much inflated price! haha.

One tip: Victoria Coach Station is about 1/4 mile - 1/2 mile walk from Victoria Station where the tube/trains go. It was kind of a pain to walk with baggage but we managed. Next time we would likely get a taxi for that as well.

Cathy. Another cheap option from London to Southampton is to book train tickets through "megabus". Despite the name, they have both rail and bus options.

This can be very cheap, and you travel on the normal (swift) train from Waterloo to Southampton. However, this option is designed to shift seats in quiet periods, so the times offered may not be optimal - or on some days there are no cheap seats at all available through megabus.

Although there are lots of trains throughout the day, if you buy a cheap mebabus ticket it is only valid on the nominated service. (Normal rail tickets - such as an off peak ticket - are not tied to a particular train).