Rapallo and Villefranche

Rapallo is a tender port and is a pretty town. Go on Le Petit Train.

Thank you very much. Also many thanks for the suggestion of Le Petit Train - as Ian cannot walk far yet we will definitely take up that option.

Edited by campolady

Went to both last week on the Dream and they are tender ports. We left the ship at Villefranche on to a very large tender marked Port Of Nice rather than the ship's own tender. Double the capacity and faster so some of the excursion passengers got moved quickly. Normal tender upon return.

There is quite a steep walk to the coaches in Villefranche which they do not tell you about. Not that much in Rapallo but a nice place. Had done the cable car to the monastery before so went on the coach trip to Genoa. Very busy city which is quite steep. Walking tour to the main sights. Saw a thief being chased by 3 armed policemen by the Cathedral. Usual annoying street hawkers following you and this year's hot item are selfie sticks !

Thank you very much. Also many thanks for the suggestion of Le Petit Train - as Ian cannot walk far yet we will definitely take up that option.

Another option campolady might be to take the ferry from Rapallo to Portofino. We did a Thomson half day trip but I'm sure we used a local ferry and could see them coming in all the time and thought another time we'd DiY. It's a lovely trip, Portofino is very picturesque and you could just have a gentle walk around the harbour and a drink at one of the waterside cafes before going back.

http://traghettiportofino.it/en/lines-and-trips/line-1/#ad-image-0

Another option campolady might be to take the ferry from Rapallo to Portofino. We did a Thomson half day trip but I'm sure we used a local ferry and could see them coming in all the time and thought another time we'd DiY. It's a lovely trip, Portofino is very picturesque and you could just have a gentle walk around the harbour and a drink at one of the waterside cafes before going back.

http://traghettiportofino.it/en/lines-and-trips/line-1/#ad-image-0

Thanks Kruzseeka - that's another great suggestion. We won't be able to book any organised excursions this time in case Ian needs to get back to the ship suddenly but that sounds a reasonably gentle, yet scenic, trip.

I don't have any more information campo, but just wanted to ask how Ian was doing and wish you both well.

I don't have any more information campo, but just wanted to ask how Ian was doing and wish you both well.

How kind of you to ask!

Ian is doing OK - walking a little further each day and as soon as he gets breathless its a good excuse to stop for a drink! Can't believe it is 11 weeks tomorrow since he arrested. He had his first Defibrillator reading last week and that seems to be working well so, fingers crossed, no more collapses coming up. Hope the cruise isn't too much for him but at least we can stay on board instead of going ashore any days he doesn't feel too good and there is a Dr on board if, Heaven forbid, he needs help (thank goodness we were finally able to get a company to insure him); hopefully it will be a tonic for both of us.

Thanks again for your interest and support - VERY much appreciated.

Great news - I hope you have a relaxing and wonderful time. I'm sure it will be just the tonic and good therapy for you both. And the gift of health and being able to travel will be all the more treasured after such a worrying time.

hi campolady hope you dont mind me asking who did you get your insurance from in the end. Great news that hes recovering well hope you have a lovely cruise too.

Of course I don't mind you asking Infoqueen! After contacting Heaven only knows how many companies over here and in the UK we eventually got cover through the Ex-Pats department of Stay Sure. They couldn't give us an on-line quote due to the complexity of Ians condition but we rang them and their agent was absolutely brilliant - it helped that he had a medical background so knew what we were talking about; within 20 minutes we were both covered.

Hi dont want to stick my nose in here re insurance, however the cheapest and best I get for my hubby is jet2 you don't need to book with them, every where I tried would either not insure him or was asking an arm and a leg jet 2 was only an arm....

Thanks both need to get world wide for november for the caribbean and hubby had a heart attack some 13 years ago very minor no treatment needed but of course they are always nervous about insuring especially world wide currently got european and have previously had world wide with insure and go but we are now 3 years older so i suppose will be an arm and leg job again think it was £500 ish last time anyway sorry to hijack your post. have a great one it shoud do you and hubby the world of good

Thanks both need to get world wide for november for the caribbean and hubby had a heart attack some 13 years ago very minor no treatment needed but of course they are always nervous about insuring especially world wide currently got european and have previously had world wide with insure and go but we are now 3 years older so i suppose will be an arm and leg job again think it was £500 ish last time anyway sorry to hijack your post. have a great one it shoud do you and hubby the world of good

I really would suggest you contact Stay Sure - they were SO helpful and knowledgable. OK our policy is only for Europe but, even with Ians long list of problems, we have only paid 360 for 12 months cover.

Are either of these Tender ports?

Many thanks.

We should have gone to Rapallo but they changed it as weather not to good. We were just a bit further along to avoid the tender. It is a lovely coast.