Upsells in Spa

linkv

Hi All,

My wife and I have cruised on Carnival several times, and really enjoy it. One of our "traditions" is to set me up with a massage in the spa (my back gets tight). I always look forward to getting loosened up before a big day on my trip.

There's just one problem: right after your massage, when you're feeling wonderful and relaxed, your masseuse starts to try to add on overpriced extras like menthol gel and essential oils. I do not care for this. I go there to relax, and the last thing I want is to have to deal with what I would consider to be a high-pressure sales pitch. My last masseuse actually got a bit short with me when I declined purchasing anything extra. :mad:

Now, I don't object to the option to buy something, just the extremely heavy-handed tactics involved. I'm sure these people are commissioned on this, I respect that, but they should also be respectful of my choice to opt out of the upsell, particularly when their spa services cost considerably more than the equivalent service on dry land.

It's to the point where I feel genuinely conflicted about scheduling future visits. On one hand, this is one of my favorite parts of cruising. On the other hand, a great part of my enjoyment is cancelled out by waiting for the pitch and having to fend it off, often before I've even put my pants back on.

Is there a solution here?

I had a similar experience on the Inspiration about ten years ago. Had a wonderfully relaxing facial, and then came the hard sell. Spent 10-15 minutes beginning with a polite no thank you,(from me) and ending with a terse flinging of the sales receipt.(from spa employee) Ruined the experience for me. I have never again used the spa on a cruise, but I do make an appt. for spa services of some kind the day before I leave town. Cheaper, and feels like my vacation starts a day sooner.

I really don't see why this is a problem at all?

When you are done with your massage just get up and say,"I am not buying anything else today".(or something like that) You do NOT have to listen to any sort of sales pitch! You do not have to sit there "being polite" . You are the customer! Just say no and leave.

They won't keep at you if they know you are not interested!

Hi All,

My last masseuse actually got a bit short with me when I declined purchasing anything extra. :mad:

Politely decline, and if she keeps on upselling you overpriced stuff, get short with her. Tell her that she just ruined the best part of the massage, and that's you relaxing. Tell her you don't appreciate her selling you stuff after you plainly said NO!

Edited by elliair

I really don't see why this is a problem at all?

It's a problem because having a conflict with someone immediately after being relaxed is completely counterproductive. I know I don't have to buy anything, but it's extremely difficult to be assertive when you're still half-naked and rehydrating (and I'm well aware that's why they pick that exact moment to do it).

I also realize that commissions on those products are likely a large part of their income, so I don't want to be an ass about it. We all have to earn a living.

On the other hand, I'm not at all impressed by the pseudo-scientific gibberish they use to justify the effects of these things, but I know that's nothing new to the spa industry.

I've heard of folks writing on the form they make you fill out before services with "no product sales pitch please" or some other sentiment. Apparently this works.

I think I'll try that next time. If there's any conflict, I'll lodge a polite but firm complaint with the cruise line.

It's a problem because having a conflict with someone immediately after being relaxed is completely counterproductive. I know I don't have to buy anything, but it's extremely difficult to be assertive when you're still half-naked and rehydrating (and I'm well aware that's why they pick that exact moment to do it).

I also realize that commissions on those products are likely a large part of their income, so I don't want to be an ass about it. We all have to earn a living.

On the other hand, I'm not at all impressed by the pseudo-scientific gibberish they use to justify the effects of these things, but I know that's nothing new to the spa industry.

I think I'll try that next time. If there's any conflict, I'll lodge a polite but firm complaint with the cruise line.

You expressed my thoughts exactly. I have purchased some of the products, primarily to help out the spa employee when I really liked them. Other times, I just say no. I've never had to argue and I've never had anyone become ugly, or I would have reduced their tip and complained to the spa manager. I know they are trained to upsell and they are managed with quotas that require them to sell. They are in a tough spot, so I typically tip extra when I am particularly pleased with the treatment and the technician is quick to drop the sales pitch when I decline. Then again, I'm paying premium spa prices to relax. I like the idea of writing on the treatment form. I had not thought of that.

On another note, I went for a manicure and pedicure at the spa years ago and was underwhelmed by the service and overwhelmed by the price. I treated my Mom to a manicure on board earlier this year on a different ship and had the same experience. I expect some pampering for the fees charged. I pay at least 30 - 40% less at home and receive a much better service.

I've never had to argue and I've never had anyone become ugly, or I would have reduced their tip and complained to the spa manager. I know they are trained to upsell and they are managed with quotas that require them to sell. They are in a tough spot, so I typically tip extra when I am particularly pleased with the treatment and the technician is quick to drop the sales pitch when I decline.

This is something I've been working on in my head... It's not that I don't want to spend the money (okay, that's part of it) but just that I don't even want to have the conversation. If I had to choose between buying $30 in gel, or tipping my masseuse an extra $30, I'd gladly choose the second option, just to shut them up... but I've always thought that holding a server's tip over them like a ransom was tacky. Now I'm trying to think of a way to let them know that they're guaranteed a sweet tip if they crack my back and don't hawk their wares (this goes against my normal way of doing things.)

However, if the masseuses start getting sweet tips and not selling spa products, the spa isn't going to be happy about that, so this could come back to bite me somewhere down the line.:rolleyes:

Wow I was really looking forward to trying out the spa! I don't want go now as I am the original sucker. I can never say "no" to hard sell people. I always feel sorry for them as I know they are just trying to make a living also and I know it's tough nowadays with quotas etc. I am sure glad I read this thread as I just wanted to go and relax, the prices were high enough that I didn't figure I'd be subjected to a hard sell for spa products. Not fun. Thanks for this info!!

I cruise a lot, and I enjoy spending time in the spa. I actually like the products, and have bought in the past. Elemis is the lone. I let the person doing the treatment/service thst I enjoy Elemis, but as such, am well stocked on the products. When and if they present something to me I simply say "already have it, thank you". and that seems to pacify them. I have never experienced a hard sell. I really do like the products, and some things are not badly priced compared to the brands sold in the department stores. I look forward to visiting the spa and buying some products without getting a treatment. Maybe they spread the word that this man is a customer and leave me alon. One thing I really like is the shave oil and gel. But I digress. When it comes to the pitch, I just say I ahve it already. Enjoy the spa!

Another question a little off topic.... I've never been to a spa, and was really wanting to try out the massage. Have any of you ever seen any fat old ladies in there getting a massage? In all the pics advertising the spa I only see "beautiful" peeps and I'm kind of embarrassed because I'm FAT, OLD, WRINKLY and I have ugly splotchy freckled skin. (Former redhead). I have never gone because I don't look like anyone I see in the pics. Is the spa more for young n pretty types? Like for people who are already pretty and going in to help maintain their looks or are there any train wrecks like me ever going in?

Another question a little off topic.... I've never been to a spa, and was really wanting to try out the massage. Have any of you ever seen any fat old ladies in there getting a massage? In all the pics advertising the spa I only see "beautiful" peeps and I'm kind of embarrassed because I'm FAT, OLD, WRINKLY and I have ugly splotchy freckled skin. (Former redhead). I have never gone because I don't look like anyone I see in the pics. Is the spa more for young n pretty types? Like for people who are already pretty and going in to help maintain their looks or are there any train wrecks like me ever going in?

I'm sorry, don't mean to make fun of you. But this is REALLY funny.... LOL

Ha, my first Carnival cruise in 2009, I took the bait and went in for the advertised special $40 for a men's shave and facial.

Great experience and then the products. I was throwing money around on that cruise like there was no tomorrow. Ended up taking home $175 worth of Elemis stuff. Both bottles still sit on the shelf in my shower about 1/2 full 7 years later:D

But, it is a daily reminder of vacations past and a reminder of the next one -- 16 days woohoo.

Closest I'll get to the spa will be the treadmills.

I've noticed the same thing at Victoria's secret :D:D:D

There are a lot more people that look like you(and me) than the young thin tanned ones in the spa. I prefer to get my massages in port, at the beach. I usually get a much better massage for less than half the price. Either way, Enjoy!!

Ha, my first Carnival cruise in 2009, I took the bait and went in for the advertised special $40 for a men's shave and facial.

A straight razor shave is on my agenda for next time. What do they try to sell you then? I'd be nice to be forewarned. To be forewarned is to have four arms.

Welcome to Carnival. The prices are low until you get on the boat. Then it's a constant upsell.

You just touched on something I'd been wondering about, but hadn't gotten around to asking yet. I took my first two cruises on Royal Carribean, then took about 10 years off, then took two Carnival cruises. One difference I noticed was the constant upsells... body products in the spa, steak dinners in the dining hall, crazy photograph packages, etc.

I wasn't sure if this was a difference between RC and Carnival, or if the industry had just changed that much since I last sailed. Am I likely to avoid the most obnoxious of these sales pitches if I return to another cruise line?

This isn't to say I don't like Carnival. I do. But this is one of my top three complaints against them.

Hey Moongirl,

A professional massage therapist does not care about your body type. Really! With that being said, many massage tables come in one size and someone who is large may feel a bit uncomfortable. You will be covered by a sheet that is large enough to cover everything. But you may feel the need to put your hands somewhere other than at your sides when laying face up. I rest mine on my midsection.

As for the uncomfortable situation of hearing a sales pitch- just say no thanks. Yes, the staff is required to sell and earns money by commission. However, they also earn money through tips. Often, an automatic gratuity, a percentage of the service is on the receipt you sign. If you were not satisfied with the service or upset by the sales pitch, request to speak with the spa manager and have the gratuity adjusted. I order Elemis products on line at a decent discount. Usually- no thanks,I order what I need at home - is enough to shut down the sales pitch. And yes, almost all of the cruise lines use the same spa company, so the same sales pitches are on many ships. Regardless of cost of the cruise.

A straight razor shave is on my agenda for next time. What do they try to sell you then? I'd be nice to be forewarned. To be forewarned is to have four arms.

It was a regular razor. Heck, my old fashioned barber still shaves my neck with a straight razor and it's part of the haircut.

Well my face needed 3 things, of which I bought 2. 1 is a fancy cleansing soap and the other a fancy soap with grit in it. I can't remember what the other unpurchased item was but I'm sure I needed it.

One thing that made me feel better was when I got home I checked the prices and Carnival was at least in line with the high end department stores.

Spas are for people that need them... What you look like means nothing. They're professionals. I'm sure they care more about how you act than how you look (seriously, I shudder to think how many of the dirty old men on these boats go in expecting a happy ending, or at least a good feel).

FWIW, I've also found that spas are all over the map as far as attire. Some give you the choice between being naked or having underwear, some insist on underwear. Usually your masseuse will let you know what's expected.

Lol, I'm fat and old and always visit the spa at least once during a cruise, usually for the "Tip To Toe" multi-treatment (there's one with another name that's basically the same thing).

I almost always say something before treatment starts "please don't try to sell me products, I already have more than most stores", and it works. The one time I forgot, they came in with a list of products that was close in price to what I had paid for the cruise!