Saint Petersburg - Alla Tours Folk Show worthwhile?

We're booked on Alla Tours 2-day Grand Tour of Saint Petersburg. We're trying to decide whether to add on the Folk Show evening program or not ($90). A few in our group are really interested but some of the info I'm seeing is that it's pretty cheesy and mostly a waste of time/money.

Anyone done it? What did you think of it. Even if you did one through someone other than Alla I'd be interested to hear about it (I'm guessing many tour operators go to the same show anyway).

We enjoyed the folk show. My husband still talks about the show, and it's been five years.

Be advised, when we were there, the half way mark had a small room full of local items, CDs, shawls, crafts, for sale. Mostly higher end than your street scene.

Don't know what cruise line you are on.....but most of them, I think, have a folkloric show on the ship on the first night. I know Princess does. We were just on a Baltic cruise (our third) and while we had a long day and did not go to the show (been twice before) others said it was very nice. Check with your cruise line or on the board for the line to see if they have one and save your money :).

<<<Karen>>>

Don't know what cruise line you are on.....but most of them, I think, have a folkloric show on the ship on the first night. I know Princess does. We were just on a Baltic cruise (our third) and while we had a long day and did not go to the show (been twice before) others said it was very nice. Check with your cruise line or on the board for the line to see if they have one and save your money :).

<<<Karen>>>

That was my first thought too, that the ship would probably do a similar show for free (or that we'll already be a bit tired of stage shows like that from the ship). I think the others in our group that really wanna do it just don't want to waste the rare opportunity of an evening in port. And even if the show is just so-so, they can say they did "the real thing". ;)

We enjoyed the folk show. My husband still talks about the show, and it's been five years.

Be advised, when we were there, the half way mark had a small room full of local items, CDs, shawls, crafts, for sale. Mostly higher end than your street scene.

Thanks! That's good to hear.

This one says it's at "the former palace of Grand Duce Nikolai Romanov". Sounds like it might be a place worth seeing, at least.

Altho' you're considering Alla's offering, it's the same "Feel Yourself Russian" show as the other tour operators offer.

Certainly touristy.

And I suppose a bit cheesy.

But fun. :)

Very good troupe of singers, musicians & dancers, all very polished, and a very varied programme slickly performed.

Plenty of humour - some slapstick, but mainly quite subtle.

Good inter-action with the audience, including at one point dragging audience members onto the stage - that'll be the cheesy bit ;)

So if the room is pretty empty when you arrive, get a seat near the stage for a good view - but mebbe avoid the front row.

BTW, unless the venue has changed (which I doubt) it's in Nikolayevsky Palace. It'll be on the second-floor, approached by a grand staircase. In a large room, not an auditorium. No "stage" as such - more a raised platform. And no plush seating - it's dining-room chairs.

And don't rely on the bubbly and canapés to stave off the hunger-pangs - think "cruise ship captain's reception".:rolleyes:

So there you have it - nothing like attending a ballet

Go expecting something like that & you'll be howling about cheesy & waste of money.

More like a fun variety show & certainly not a "waste of money" for most who attend.

We loved it, but that doesn't mean that you will.

JB :)

ps - there are plenty of vids on YouTube if you google "Feel Yourself Russian". But just check out a few snippets, to give yourself a vague idea what to expect.

Edited by John Bull

We booked 2 day tour with Alla which was excellent. We hadn't booked anything at all for the evening as we thought we would be rushed and also tired.

Tbh my partner and I are not ballet fans and I really don't like folklore shows. Have seen so many over the years, they just leave me cold. However, what I like isn't necessarily the choice of others. Just go with what feels best for you.

Even though we were very tired after our full day in St. Petersburg with SPB tours, the show at the Nikolayevsky Palace reinvigorated us with its lively music and dancing. Souvenirs were sold in the theatre and were very reasonable. We are very glad we added it on to our itinerary.