Disembarking at Harwich after a stop in Iceland?

Just curious, as one of the members of our roll call got an interesting and potentially incorrect (shocking!) answer from Royal Caribbean.

I know Iceland isn't a full-fledged member of the EU, but do you have to clear customs in Harwich on a closed loop cruise if your last stop is Iceland? When we cruised from Harwich to St Petersburg in 2012 our last stop was in Sweden, and we just walked off. We're trying to coordinate transportation, and Royal's answer for timing involved "clearing customs".

Anyone have experience with this one? Thanks!

If you enter the UK from abroad, you have to clear customs. The chances are, from a cruise, it will be quick. A closed loop cruise has no meaning in UK law.

Incidentally, Iceland isn't even a partly-fledged member of the EU. It is no more a member of the EU than is Virginia. Iceland is a member of EFTA.

Edited by dsrdsrdsr

Thanks. In 2012, returning from Russia, we did NOT clear customs in Harwich. We did not visibly clear customs re-entering the EU in Estonoia (certainly we did nothing as individuals). Hence the question. Has something changed?

And, the EU's web page says that Iceland is a Candidate Country on the road to EU membership, which Virginia certainly is not.

First, let's get some facts straight :) Iceland is a member of the EEA and of the Schengen Area, so has no border controls for travel from other Schengen countries (NB the UK is not party to the Schengen Agreement). The Iceland authorities declared earlier this year that they are no longer pursuing EU membership, although the EU has not yet recognised this as a formal withdrawal from the accession process.

As to the OP's question, I have a question in return. Do you really mean customs or are you thinking of immigration controls? If you do mean customs, it is very possible to clear UK customs controls at many border entry points without noticing!

First, let's get some facts straight :) Iceland is a member of the EEA and of the Schengen Area, so has no border controls for travel from other Schengen countries (NB the UK is not party to the Schengen Agreement). The Iceland authorities declared earlier this year that they are no longer pursuing EU membership, although the EU has not yet recognised this as a formal withdrawal from the accession process.

As to the OP's question, I have a question in return. Do you really mean customs or are you thinking of immigration controls? If you do mean customs, it is very possible to clear UK customs controls at many border entry points without noticing!

I'm SHOCKED that their could be an issue with information provided by the EU!

Anyway, the person who spoke to Royal was apparently told "customs", and you're right that I'm sure I've cleared "customs" on every flight I've ever taken to the UK without even knowing it, which is generally the same in the US (the second line out of baggage claim is customs). In 2012, I don't recall going through any form of border control. We just dinged the seapass and were back on British soil. Which I remember since it's unlike any other cruise I've ever taken. That's really my question. Should we expect to individually clear some sort of border process in Harwich on this cruise, or will it be like our Russian cruise?

Thanks!

First, let's get some facts straight :) ... (NB the UK is not party to the Schengen Agreement).
Well, if we're going to get some facts straight ... ;)

The UK is a party to the Schengen accords and participates in many of the Schengen arrangements. However, the UK has not participated in the part of the Schengen arrangements that involves a common travel area with no internal immigration borders, commonly called (at least by me) Schengenland.

Immigration is compulsory, but you probably won't have to do anything yourself because the immigration officers come on board as soon as the ship berths. They will review the ship's procedures for boarding at the initial departure port and at each port visited, and conclude that no further checks are necessary. Propbably.

As for customs, you will have to go through a room where you will have the opportunity to declare goods. However, since you are coming from countries where nearly all products, legal and illegal, are more expensive than they are here; then the chances are you won't see many customs officers.

In either case, you do have to clear immigration, and you do have to clear customs, but there is every chance that it will take no time at all. But if it does take time, your cruise line can't be held responsible because you have been warned.

These sort of questions always raise many different answers and sometimes Royal Caribbean's first answer is incorrect.

You may have to surrender your passport to guest services during your cruise for it to be inspected by Immigration Officials, however I would not have thought this would be the case as you leave from and arrive back at Harwich. But, there are never any guarantees in these matters even though you would think there should be.

For example, on our TA last year, our first European stop was at The Azores and we should have gone through Immigration there. However this did not take place until we headed to Ireland.

• 2 weeks later...