Review of my recent excellent BTB Odyssey cruises, Greek Isles and Black Sea Odyssey

Catlover54

Here is a link to my long review, overall rated 5/5 despite a few concerns, in a PH suite, on the back to back cruises (total of two weeks) I just finished, my first SB experience, There are some typos, but otherwise the review was published exactly as I wrote it five days ago, without any CC edits. Overall I was very impressed with the Odyssey. I therefore have another SB cruise booked July 2016 ( that will be on the Quest) and another spring 2017. I hope the quality of food, service, and professionalism shown on this trip will also be present on the Quest.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=513703&et_cid=2441714&et_rid=17464385&et_referrer

Enjoyable review. Thanks for taking the time to write it and for posting it.

We have twice had Penthouse suites on Deck 9 and enjoyed them each time. In fact, we are again on Deck 9 for our next cruise though not as far forward as you were. Your comments on the comfort of the couch is interesting. I will pay attention to that.

I think that Seabourn needs to do a better job with outside furniture whether it be around the pool or on the verandas. I think that a luxury cruise line should be looking for something a bit more comfortable.

Agree with you on the Colonnade. We also enjoy eating there. Restaurant 2 is not my thing! I am more a steak and fries kind of guy. I like to eat well but I am not a 'foodie'.

As to shows, I find that they can be hit or miss. However, I have to admit that we often don't get finished with dinner in time for the show. We are great fans of the leisurely dinner with good conversation and lots of wine.

Thanks Catlover54 for mentioning in your review that the MDR is indeed closed for breakfast and lunch. When is Seabourn going to acknowledge this & change their advertising?

Presumably they have... in the latest brochure I received this week, the only restaurant specifically noted for breakfast is the Colonade (and room service).

The new sushi restaurant on Encore and the Thomas Keller rollout is mentioned so they've reworked all the language.

Here is a link to my long review, overall rated 5/5 despite a few concerns, in a PH suite, on the back to back cruises (total of two weeks) I just finished, my first SB experience, There are some typos, but otherwise the review was published exactly as I wrote it five days ago, without any CC edits. Overall I was very impressed with the Odyssey. I therefore have another SB cruise booked July 2016 ( that will be on the Quest) and another spring 2017. I hope the quality of food, service, and professionalism shown on this trip will also be present on the Quest.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=513703&et_cid=2441714&et_rid=17464385&et_referrer

Question of the millisecond: What has been your previous cruise experience(s)?:p

Question of the millisecond: What has been your previous cruise experience(s)?:p

A short reading of Catlover's previous posts will answer your question. What difference does it make? Catlover's review is her honest impression of her first Seabourn cruise.

As stated in the second paragraph of my review, I had previosly done 8 cruises, most of them on luxury competitor lines ( I do not count multiple tumultuous transatlantic crossings with the old style "ocean liners" back in my youth, as those were just for transportation).

But I understand what I think is the fair point, namely, that with more experience, such as some more seasoned cruisers have, I may develop a more negative overall perception of SB. I hope not! Certainly there are things that were not ideal, but my 5/5 rating is based on comparisons with my limited Silversea and Regent experiences. And although I have two more SB cruises already booked so far, I am still looking, so I am going to try Hapag Lloyd's Europa 2 soon, (Capetown-Capetown at Xmas) to compare and contrast services in the luxury cruising market.

The link above doesn't work for me (have tried on two devices) but your report is wonderful. I did the Black Sea Odyssey last year and had similar port thoughts.

It's funny how humor varies for some... I giggled at your comment about the cruise director's Bugs Bunny joke because when my mom and I booked the transatlantic for spring and were checking calendars, her first comment was "oh, I'll miss Bugs Bunny night at the symphony". Our local symphony orchestra devotes an entire concert to the lovely pieces so many children were first exposed to through cartoons. Perhaps we are too pedestrian....

Edited by jenidallas

I cannot seem to get this link to work (have attempted onto different devices). What ship/month was this review for? I'll search it out directly....

Odyssey, September 2015 ( it is the latest Odyssey review on CC, the last one about that ship before mine was from mid July)

I will try to repost the link to the review below:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=513703

Edited by Catlover54
add link

As stated in the second paragraph of my review, I had previosly done 8 cruises, most of them on luxury competitor lines ( I do not count multiple tumultuous transatlantic crossings with the old style "ocean liners" back in my youth, as those were just for transportation).

But I understand what I think is the fair point, namely, that with more experience, such as some more seasoned cruisers have, I may develop a more negative overall perception of SB. I hope not! Certainly there are things that were not ideal, but my 5/5 rating is based on comparisons with my limited Silversea and Regent experiences. And although I have two more SB cruises already booked so far, I am still looking, so I am going to try Hapag Lloyd's Europa 2 soon, (Capetown-Capetown at Xmas) to compare and contrast services in the luxury cruising market.

I wasn't trying to impugn your post. I'm just curious when people compare or contrast what they're comparing. I'd hope that more cruises with any line wouldn't bring a more negative perception. It'll be interesting to see your Hapag Lloyd review. They seem few and far between.

Catlever54, a well written, comprehensive review, well done.

I noticed you mentioned Monica. I assume it is the same Monica we had on the Odyssey and she is a little gem. Such a lovely, friendly person who helped make our cruise special.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I sorted my pictures, I went back and tried to add some pictures to my review ( you are supposedly now allowed 20 per review, hosted by CC) but apparently you cannot add them after a review is published without a select email invitation to do so. So, here are a couple, plus below is a link to photobucket to see a few more from some of the ports visited.

All were "point and shoot" shots with just my iphone 6 plus, as DH, who usually comes equipped with many pounds of camera equipment and the ability to haul it, was not along this cruise.

The first shot is the view from the SB pre-cruise hotel restaurant, Grande Bretagne in Athens.

There is a shot of the venue for the classical music concert evening in Ephesus SB sponsored

The trees are a petrified forest, outside Varna ( SB excursion)

The BW is a bridge I saw suddenly drift by above my head while I was sitting outside, just before we entered Istanbul at the end of the cruise.

a18d9a12f8e67cd5950fac4b83457c6b.jpg

99559969c0a9c4842b9466e7d7514b30.jpg218475d98e6232b4317797c9c09856a4.jpg

30612ec6ebbed33705c3a9468df66940.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Catlover54

Nigella, I gain so much useful information from posters on CC when I research my future trips, that I feel I should do my best, if possible, to give back and help expand the database for others who could benefit in the future, even if it takes some time. Voluntary participation is what makes user forums work!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk