Epic v. Star

We are a young family of 3 (our daughter is seven) who cruised on the Epic last August - the one week European cruise out of Rome - and we absolutely LOVED the ship. This was our first cruise and not knowing what to expect, the things we thought were standouts were the speciality dining options and unlimited things to do (entertainment every night whether it was a show/dance off for guests hosted by NCL staff, gym, pool, rock climbing, basketball court, spa).

We want to do another European cruise and all the ones were are interested in are on the Star, which I understand is not a "mega" ship like the Epic. From what I can see, the Star does have the same speciality dining options, so no issues there. But does the Star have much less "to do" on board? Would love to hear your opinions on the Star, I am all ears :)

Related - our daughter's favorite thing on the Epic was the air hockey table game that was in O'Sheenans. Does anyone know off hand if they have that on the Star?

On Deck 12 next to the cafe is the teen-only area, complete with a dance floor, jukebox, air hockey table, several computer stations and a "living room" space for mingling. Just across from this space is the Video Zone, with several high-tech (and loud) video games.

NCL's smaller ships do have much, much less to do onboard than Epic, Getaway, Breakaway and Escape. With your daughter being 7, she would spend most time in the kid's club. Here's a very detailed review of the Star from a longtime cruiser who posts here frequently and travels with her young daughter with lots of photos and discussion of things to do onboard:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1755846

Star went through a dry dock in 2015 described here:

https://www.ncl.com/press-releases/norwegian-star-shines-new-dining-entertainment-venues-ship-readies-europe-season

In both December AND January 2017, they had engine failures and were stuck in dry dock in Singapore. While these problems were being fixed, they did some renovation inside and switched out the entertainment as well that is described here:

http://www.express.co.uk/travel/cruise/566590/Norwegian-Cruise-Line-ship-Norwegian-Star-refurbishment-new-dining-entertainment

My DH, DSD, and I sailed the Star in an aft suite. we loved the ship and there was plenty of room for three adults. DSD slept on the pullout couch and told us it was comfortable and fine. We sailed on her the first cruise after dry dock so two of the new eating venues still had under construction signs. There was plenty to do and my DSD went dancing and we went to the shows every night. We ate at three specialty restaurants Cagneys and Le Bistro - both good with La Cucina rated as horrible. The DH and I went on the Epic years ago and there is definitely more to do on the Epic. I personally feel Epic had more of a variety of entertainment to enjoy. As far as size it is easy to get around on the Star. We have a preference for the medium ships for walkability vs the mega ships. I think you will be pleased with the Star.

In both December AND January 2017, they had engine failures and were stuck in dry dock in Singapore. While these problems were being fixed, they did some renovation inside and switched out the entertainment as well that is described here:

The last dry dock and renovations on the Star were in 2015 which is what the link provided refers to. The Dec. 2016 and 2017 problems were with the propulsion system - 3 consecutive failures over a 2 month period. We were on the Star when the 3rd Azipod failure occurred resulting in the ship being adrift off the southern Australia coast. It was towed by tug boat back to Melbourne and both problems were repaired. It has been sailing normally since Feb. 14

I haven't been on the Epic, but think you may be disappointed with the Star. She is showing her age. We select our cruises based on itinerary, but this was our 4th and final cruise on the Star.

We sailed on the Star last summer with our three boys who were 7, 7 and 11 at the time and they had a great time. The Star doesn't look as new as the Epic, the rooms aren't as modern and neither is the decor. But there were still plenty of activities for the kids to keep them busy. I recall an air hockey table in the teen only area but do not recall one at O'Sheenans.

If your daughter will want to spend a lot of time in the kids program, it won't make much difference what ship you are on. Us personally, we were not crazy over the Star but we sailed her out of L.A. in 2007: Maybe part of my dislike was the itinerary. It is true there wont be as much activity but there was still plenty to keep us busy.

• 3 months later...
I just booked the star in july. I did the med on the epic last year. Did a bit of searching. Looks enjoyable but a bit smaller ship. I can give a review post after

I had a fabulous time on the Epic and thinking of booking the Star - have you been yet as I would love your feedback before I proceed, thanks x

There are 2 slides, smaller than the epics but no wall. There's the same club, sports court and at the rear a fabulous kids area with pools, table tennis etc. Yes there is a gym and evening entertainment. Not as much entertainment as epic but still a decent amount

Sent from my iPad using Forums