Chocolate-covered strawberries on the Dream?

kamin83

My 6-year-old has a lifelong dream of trying chocolate covered strawberries. I figured our cruise might be a good place for him to experience his first. Are they available anywhere on the Dream?

Best answer - maybe.

I don't recall that they are a given, but maybe Vista Cafe might have them (they have little treats there). Or you may be able to find them at Cove Cafe (adult area, but you could go in and get them and bring them out). Next best choice - ask you dining room server. They may be able to convince the chef to make some one evening.

This is one of those custom requests it should be easy for a server to handle, if not necessarily on the same night, since they use the chocolate ganache for many things there is almost always some available, and dipped fruit is pastry chef 101.

Ask your server quietly on night 2 (night 1 is always a zoo) if he could add a few to your son's dessert as a surprise on nite 3..

My 6-year-old has a lifelong dream of trying chocolate covered strawberries. I figured our cruise might be a good place for him to experience his first. Are they available anywhere on the Dream?

Buy a Hershey bar, melt it in a bowl in the the microwave (15 seconds at a time so the chocolate doesn't burn - stir between each session) and then dip the berries into the chocolate and place on waxed paper on top of a cookie sheet (don't want to buy waxed paper? Save the bag from inside the cereal box, open it up and flatten it out). Place the cookie sheet in the fridge until the chocolate hardens.

Enjoy.

Chocolate covered strawberries are so easy to make - don't wait until the cruise since they may not (probably not) be available.

Edited by meatloafsfan

Buy a Hershey bar, melt it in a bowl in the the microwave (15 seconds at a time so the chocolate doesn't burn - stir between each session) and then dip the berries into the chocolate and place on waxed paper on top of a cookie sheet (don't want to buy waxed paper? Save the bag from inside the cereal box, open it up and flatten it out). Place the cookie sheet in the fridge until the chocolate hardens.

Enjoy.

Chocolate covered strawberries are so easy to make - don't wait until the cruise since they may not (probably not) be available.

What have those poor strawberries done to be covered in Hersheys chocolate:eek:

(Just kidding, being British we think Hersheys choc is yuck)!

I know what you mean - I'm Canadian and when I make my chocolate covered strawberries I usually use Cadbury milk chocolate (or even better, Cadbury's fruit and nut bars - the raisons and nuts give the strawberries a little extra something).

However, assuming that the OP was American, they are used to Hershey's and I won't recommend bittersweet or semi sweet chocolate for strawberries for a child - milk chocolate is what they think of when they eat chocolate (usually) so that's what I recommend dipping the strawberries in.

They have existed on every DCL cruise I can think of on each ship...not every day, but they exist as the following:

Concierge snacks

"Late night snacks" (check Navigator)

Palo Brunch

Cove Cafe snacks

Maybe other times and places,but these for sure. If you want a few in the dining room, ask your server. If you are going to Palo brunch, your server will pack up a few for the child.

Hey now! I live about 15 mins from Hershey, PA! I can't eat anything but the deliciously smooth Hershey's Chocolate! But yeah I get what you mean, every area has a chocolate that they have grown up with, and one they prefer.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The thing I find with Hersheys is it leaves a waxy coating on the roof of your mouth, mind you Kraft who bought out Cadburys in UK is killing it as is not the same anymore after 80 years and you also don't see the glass and a half (of milk) logo either:(. They have even changed the texture of the Creme Eggs:eek:

I was home recently and tried various different items from Cadbury and they were certainly different, shame really. The Cadburys out here is different still (not in a good way)!

Still there are bigger things in the world to worry about.

This is one of those custom requests it should be easy for a server to handle, if not necessarily on the same night, since they use the chocolate ganache for many things there is almost always some available, and dipped fruit is pastry chef 101.

Ask your server quietly on night 2 (night 1 is always a zoo) if he could add a few to your son's dessert as a surprise on nite 3..

While I agree with you that dipped fruit is a simple task for a pastry chef, I disagree that it is a simple custom request.

Yes there maybe chocolate covered strawberries offered at certain tastings, activities or Palo or Remy. However they are already catered for.

If the request is made for them, and they are provided, what is to say there isn't an expectation for them for the whole family and for the rest of the cruise?

What if the family are seated at an 8 top with another family or a table close by see them and requests them as well?

You can't very well give them to one half of the table or one table and not the other.

Going off piste with additional non menu requests in the MDR like these can snowball from one family being pixie dusted into needing a crop sprayer to pixie dust everyone, and therefore a hell of a lot of work for all of the servers and other backstage CM's.

I agree with meatloafsfan that the mom or dad can easily make them at home if the kid has a "lifelong dream" of trying them at age 6.

And if they see them at Palo, Remy, late night snacks, Cove cafe or where ever then they can ask for a couple to take back to their Stateroom for him and all is good.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

If properly done, its a simple request. As noted, they are done for Palo, etc. If the kitchen cannot accommodate, they won't. If they are at a larger table, it would not surprise me if enough are brought out for the table to sample.

Having spoken to many exec chefs, head servers, head waiters and maitre'ds, etc across lines, reasonable requests are perfectly fine with enough notice and understanding. The key is proper notice and an understanding that it may not always be accommodated.

While I agree with you that dipped fruit is a simple task for a pastry chef, I disagree that it is a simple custom request.

Yes there maybe chocolate covered strawberries offered at certain tastings, activities or Palo or Remy. However they are already catered for.

If the request is made for them, and they are provided, what is to say there isn't an expectation for them for the whole family and for the rest of the cruise?

What if the family are seated at an 8 top with another family or a table close by see them and requests them as well?

You can't very well give them to one half of the table or one table and not the other.

Going off piste with additional non menu requests in the MDR like these can snowball from one family being pixie dusted into needing a crop sprayer to pixie dust everyone, and therefore a hell of a lot of work for all of the servers and other backstage CM's.

I agree with meatloafsfan that the mom or dad can easily make them at home if the kid has a "lifelong dream" of trying them at age 6.

And if they see them at Palo, Remy, late night snacks, Cove cafe or where ever then they can ask for a couple to take back to their Stateroom for him and all is good.

ex techie

If properly done, its a simple request. As noted, they are done for Palo, etc. If the kitchen cannot accommodate, they won't. If they are at a larger table, it would not surprise me if enough are brought out for the table to sample.

Having spoken to many exec chefs, head servers, head waiters and maitre'ds, etc across lines, reasonable requests are perfectly fine with enough notice and understanding. The key is proper notice and an understanding that it may not always be accommodated.

Sorry, I disagree with your reasoning and thought process that oversimplifies this.

Dietary requests are different.

The request for items not on the menu, such as the chocolate dipped strawberries, even if made properly, would require the server to speak to the head server, who would have to speak to the head pastry chef and request a special order. That special order could be made easily if they make them fresh every day, and do not just make a batch on say day 2 and day 5, or every other day.

That special order needs to be stored separately to the other orders for Palo and or Remy, and elsewhere, but also collected from the pastry galley, taken to the correct restaurant in that dining rotation, for that seating, and then stored until required.

The table next to them see them, and may ask their servers or the same serving team for them, and so on.

All of a sudden, not so simple.

Yes there does need to be an understanding that it may not always be accommodated, because you are one of a couple of thousand people being served at that time.

ex techie

One way to make it work might be to bring them to her in a covered "to go" dish so that not everyone at the table or in the dining room sees them.

We had a 7 night cruise that was turned into a 4 night due to hurricane Jeanne. My daughter said something about missing lobster night. The server was totally honest--he said that they had the lobsters on the ship but that he couldn't bring her one because other people would see it and it would create a disaster in the dining room. Note--she hadn't even asked. Just said that it was sad that they weren't doing it.

On other cruises, we've had amazing things, often without asking. We have made special requests on signature nights--as in "can we get the soup from X restaurant?" It is always a request, and made the night before.

On the other hand, we've had head servers do lovely treats--we had a fruit plate appear at the table that was the best fruit I've ever had. And somehow, the table inhaled all of it. Another time, the server mentioned that they were making curry for the Disney exec at the next table and asked if we'd like some too.

When my daughter was young, she wanted a hamburger on a night that it wasn't on the menu. We later found out that they'd sent someone to Pluto's to get one for her! And when that same server learned that broccoli was her favorite vegetable, he had a bowl of steamed broccoli for her every night. (again, not requested)

So, surprises and special requests do happen. But they are not to be expected and obviously do take extra effort from the staff. Until I read Techie's post, I had not idea how much extra was involved.

Edited by moki'smommy

Like I said, based on past experience, yes, its extra effort but its one that I have seen most people be happy to undertake to make a guests trip more special...

That doesn't mean you can make ridiculous requests, and they certainly can say its not possible for any number of reasons or propose an alternative, but this is a request I would have no problem making because its something that is already being prepared aboard ship. It's when you ask for special recipes or items totally not on a menu its a lot different.

One way to make it work might be to bring them to her in a covered "to go" dish so that not everyone at the table or in the dining room sees them.

We had a 7 night cruise that was turned into a 4 night due to hurricane Jeanne. My daughter said something about missing lobster night. The server was totally honest--he said that they had the lobsters on the ship but that he couldn't bring her one because other people would see it and it would create a disaster in the dining room. Note--she hadn't even asked. Just said that it was sad that they weren't doing it.

On other cruises' date=' we've had amazing things, often without asking. We have made special requests on signature nights--as in "can we get the soup from X restaurant?" It is always a request, and made the night before.

On the other hand, we've had head servers do lovely treats--we had a fruit plate appear at the table that was the best fruit I've ever had. And somehow, the table inhaled all of it. Another time, the server mentioned that they were making curry for the Disney exec at the next table and asked if we'd like some too.

When my daughter was young, she wanted a hamburger on a night that it wasn't on the menu. We later found out that they'd sent someone to Pluto's to get one for her! And when that same server learned that broccoli was her favorite vegetable, he had a bowl of steamed broccoli for her every night. (again, not requested)

So, surprises and special requests do happen. But they are not to be expected and obviously do take extra effort from the staff. Until I read Techie's post, I had not idea how much extra was involved.[/quote']

Yep, requests like the soup or other item from another MDR restaurant are easier to fulfil as the galleys of at least two of the restaurants are connected and the other is only one deck above or below.

Getting a burger from Pluto's was very kind of them! A lot of that would depend on how "needy" the Guests being served by that team were and if they had enough time to go 6 decks up to the pool deck and collect it.

If there had been a table that needed or demanded a lot of attention from the waitstaff, think even if a family show up late, I doubt they could have made that happen, but glad they were able for your daughter. :)

When the pixie dust is sprinkled, and your servers are able to go above and beyond it is great!

When it becomes expected and cannot or does not appear, some, the demanding type get upset and create a fuss along with complaints, and that is not fair on the servers.

And that is the curse of discussion boards such as CC and the DIS.

One person gets it, tells others about it, everyone then wants it and it becomes the norm until the system cannot cope and is unmanageable, so it gets withdrawn and discontinued. Everyone then accuses DCL of cutting back and loss of perks.

Easy example of this is dropping off items to be signed at GS.

ex techie

I thought Disney had a contract with Nestles. Or is that the coffee (Nescafe)?

They had a deal with Nescafe, but I read and believe they switched to Joffrey's coffee for the self service stations, room service and maybe MDR's.

Not sure about what they serve in Cove Cafe though.

ex techie

Yep, requests like the soup or other item from another MDR restaurant are easier to fulfil as the galleys of at least two of the restaurants are connected and the other is only one deck above or below.

Getting a burger from Pluto's was very kind of them! A lot of that would depend on how "needy" the Guests being served by that team were and if they had enough time to go 6 decks up to the pool deck and collect it.

If there had been a table that needed or demanded a lot of attention from the waitstaff, think even if a family show up late, I doubt they could have made that happen, but glad they were able for your daughter. :)

When the pixie dust is sprinkled, and your servers are able to go above and beyond it is great!

When it becomes expected and cannot or does not appear, some, the demanding type get upset and create a fuss along with complaints, and that is not fair on the servers.

And that is the curse of discussion boards such as CC and the DIS.

One person gets it, tells others about it, everyone then wants it and it becomes the norm until the system cannot cope and is unmanageable, so it gets withdrawn and discontinued. Everyone then accuses DCL of cutting back and loss of perks.

Easy example of this is dropping off items to be signed at GS.

ex techie

I hear what you're saying. It's really the difference between hoping for something and expecting something. It never hurts to ask, just don't be upset if the request cannot be fulfilled. But sometimes, if the cast member is able to, they will try to fulfill the request.

If there is a key to the process, it is to NOT be demanding and to treat your serving team politely. They respond positively to well behaved children. When appropriate, ask them about their families or their home country...or life on the ship. They are far from home and many are lonely. I've never had one who acted as if such questions are intrusive, especially when it is a kid who asks. Usually whey will get out a photo of a family or a child "back home."

And the fact that you are showing some real interest in them often results in pixie dust...whether voiced requests or a surprise.

I can't tell you how many positive situations we've had with CMs who have influenced my daughter far beyond the ship. She did a school report on Croatia when she had to choose a country because a favorite server was from Croatia. We had an assistant server from Japan who played "word of the day" with her when she was studying Japanese in school--and she came home one day excited because she'd used one of the server's words on a test.

Edited by moki'smommy

I hear what you're saying. It's really the difference between hoping for something and expecting something. It never hurts to ask, just don't be upset if the request cannot be fulfilled. But sometimes, if the cast member is able to, they will try to fulfill the request.

This happened for us on our last cruise on the Fantasy. My wife really loved crepes, but the one offered that night was made with Nutella. She's allergic to nuts, so that wasn't possible. The next night, without asking, the waiter shows up with a special dessert just for her. A crepe with bananas and chocolate sauce! Above and beyond service is what makes DCL great! Without even asking, they went out of their way to make a special dessert, just for her! My wife was just so astounded at this!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Tkerniroc1986

If there is a key to the process' date=' it is to NOT be demanding and to treat your serving team politely. They respond positively to well behaved children. When appropriate, ask them about their families or their home country...or life on the ship. They are far from home and many are lonely. I've never had one who acted as if such questions are intrusive, especially when it is a kid who asks. Usually whey will get out a photo of a family or a child "back home."

And the fact that you are showing some real interest in them often results in pixie dust...whether voiced requests or a surprise.

I can't tell you how many positive situations we've had with CMs who have influenced my daughter far beyond the ship. She did a school report on Croatia when she had to choose a country because a favorite server was from Croatia. We had an assistant server from Japan who played "word of the day" with her when she was studying Japanese in school--and she came home one day excited because she'd used one of the server's words on a test.[/quote']

100 percent. When we cruised a B2B last year Southern caribbean then repo to PC, we had a great server team with whom we got friendly. I wasn't feeling well one day, lobster day of all days, and didn't go down to dinner. I asked my wife to see if she could bring my meal back for me. Well, some time later, the door opens and there's my wife followed by Jason with a full tray! And we were main seating, which meant he still had a second seating to prepare for. That to me was above and beyond!

I totally agree.

If you ask and they can and are able to, great!

If you ask expecting that they will and they can't..... That is on you, not the servers. And there should be no hard feelings because you read that they did it for someone else before, even multiple times for other Guests.

This time they may have challenges they have to focus on.

They do try their best to make it happen if they can and are able to without impacting on other Guests experience.

ex techie

If there is a key to the process' date=' it is to NOT be demanding and to treat your serving team politely. They respond positively to well behaved children. When appropriate, ask them about their families or their home country...or life on the ship. They are far from home and many are lonely. I've never had one who acted as if such questions are intrusive, especially when it is a kid who asks. Usually whey will get out a photo of a family or a child "back home."

I can't tell you how many positive situations we've had with CMs who have influenced my daughter far beyond the ship. She did a school report on Croatia when she had to choose a country because a favorite server was from Croatia. We had an assistant server from Japan who played "word of the day" with her when she was studying Japanese in school--and she came home one day excited because she'd used one of the server's words on a test.[/quote']

Yep! +1

ex techie