Sea Sickness

Family4Cruisin

I use Bonine when going on smaller boat tours. We had pretty rough seas roughly two hours after whale watching ,on our way back to shore . Had to keep my head up but did not get seasick. [emoji4]

• 1 year later...
We are going on our 2nd cruise next month on the Getaway. Our 1st cruise was on the Sky a few years ago. I suffered with being sea sick 2 out of the 4 days despite using Motioneaze and prescription Meclizine. I am thinking of using the Scopolamine patch and trying the Sea Bands for this cruise. I would appreciate any advice/suggestions on what anyone has found that works for them to prevent sea sickness.

Thank you everyone for all the suggestions.

My Dr prescribed the Scop patch. Applied my first patch the day before the cruise. It worked great! No sea sickness at all!

My Dr prescribed the Scop patch. Applied my first patch the day before the cruise. It worked great! No sea sickness at all!

It's always nice to see someone report back after a cruise to let us know how it went. Thanks for keeping us informed - and I'm glad you found something that works, as there's nothing like missing out on cruise days by being seasick. Been there, done that.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

I am prone to motion sickness so I got a prescription from the doctor for Transderm Scop and applied one before I got on the ship and I was so tired I couldn't keep my eyes open. I was so nauseous I couldn't stand it. Finally, I realized it was the patch not the ship that was making me sick. I took the patch off and was perfectly fine with nothing for the remainder of the trip.

Transderm scope is the best, but be careful during application that you don't get medication on your finger and rub your eye. It will dilate your pupil.

I didn't like to have medication infused into my body when I didn't need it so found some scopace tablets (scopolamine- same medicine that is on the patch)that one can take when needed and other things like ginger are not working. Worked great, but I can't seem to find them anymore. Haven't had to use anything since 2009 in the Branfield Strait on an Antarctica cruise.

How do you know. Did you try the cruise without the patch so see if you would have gotten sick without it? :confused:

My wife and I take Stugeron 15 - widely available without prescription in the UK. It works for us. My wife claims to be very susceptible to sea sickness although I've never seen any evidence that she is more susceptible than anyone else ;)

A few bumpy evenings and we've taken Stugeron without issues. But we will also take additional precautions like avoid looking at the sea at low level through a window and take plenty of fresh air

After 2 week cruises even taking medication occasionally we still end up with sea legs for a few days after coming back.

• 2 weeks later...

I am VERY prone to motion sickness, even on a plane. A good friend advised me to take Bonine. I started taking it the evening before our flight, and continued the entire cruise. I also wore Sea Bands. Had no trouble I will do the same next year. No sleepiness or other side effects like you get from Dramamine or the patch

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 3 weeks later...