Does Sky Suite S1 Size Vary?

Suite Susie

Looking at the deck plans on the X site for the Equinox, the S1 Suite cabin sizes (all aft corners) look much smaller the lower you go down the ship. Is this bad drawing of the deck plans or are the lower suites much smaller? Have tried to do a search, but the Search facility is not currently working for some reason. Thinking of changing our booked S2 to a Suite Guarantee and am concerned that the S1's look smaller than what we've already got and on a slow selling sailing (which seems to be the case), it is possible that we might get put in one of these. Can anybody help? Not sure whether to roll the dice!

Edited by Suite Susie

We've stayed in corner aft S1 cabins on three different floors and they are all the same size. They're just staggered. Some may not like being able to look below into the next person's balcony. I just sit out there, so at best they can just see my feet, unless I'm standing at the railing.

Those poles - some have two, some have one. They are absolutely not a problem whatsoever. Seriously! Just part of the architecture and after a bit you don't even notice them. I have read where people hated them but that has never been our case.

Fabulous view and room. Love the long long walk to the back of the ship. For those with mobility issues it might be a problem but for us it's never been anything but a PLUS.

Our favorite floor is the Penthouse deck - cabins 1663 and 1666. We have never stayed in the top deck right under the bar with the large overhang.

on a slow selling sailing (which seems to be the case), it is possible that we might get put in one of these. Can anybody help? Not sure whether to roll the dice!

Yes, so why aren't those prices falling yet :confused:? I've been checking constantly :D.

You may get your S2 back on the guarantee, however if it's cheaper than your initial cost, it may be worth it? Remember, if you've booked in the UK, you won't be able to swap once the GTY has been allocated ;).

Yes, so why aren't those prices falling yet :confused:? I've been checking constantly :D.

You may get your S2 back on the guarantee, however if it's cheaper than your initial cost, it may be worth it? Remember, if you've booked in the UK, you won't be able to swap once the GTY has been allocated ;).

Hard decision as we are booked in the UK. The Guarantee is cheaper but factoring in the loss of the drinks package and the loss of our £300 deposit there is not much in it at the moment. I suspect as soon as we pay next month the prices will fall! Some people call me indecisive but I'm not so sure!! :)

We've stayed in corner aft S1 cabins on three different floors and they are all the same size. They're just staggered. Some may not like being able to look below into the next person's balcony. I just sit out there, so at best they can just see my feet, unless I'm standing at the railing.

Those poles - some have two, some have one. They are absolutely not a problem whatsoever. Seriously! Just part of the architecture and after a bit you don't even notice them. I have read where people hated them but that has never been our case.

Fabulous view and room. Love the long long walk to the back of the ship. For those with mobility issues it might be a problem but for us it's never been anything but a PLUS.

Our favorite floor is the Penthouse deck - cabins 1663 and 1666. We have never stayed in the top deck right under the bar with the large overhang.

Thanks for your help. I guess those deck plans are deceiving. The long walk is a bit offputting as I have a problem with my knees. Love the look of the view though.

Thanks for your help. I guess those deck plans are deceiving. The long walk is a bit offputting as I have a problem with my knees. Love the look of the view though.

Last month, we were in a Deck 12 Reflection aft S1 and it was fabulous. The view is remarkable and it was very quiet and peaceful. I have terrible knees and I did not find the walk to the back of the ship to be a problem. Even if it had been, it would have been worth it for that stateroom.

From what I have read on these Boards, the balcony size can vary for the aft S1s, at least I think those on the lowest deck have a small balcony. Our balcony was plenty large and the room seemed extra big compared to photos I have seen, though I suspect the room size is the same for all.

They are 300 square feet, which is a third bigger than regular rooms. We get them for the room size - particularly since we tend to sail on 2 week long cruises, and we DO spend time in our room. The S2s are roughly the same size, too, but they don't have the large side round window and may be configured a bit differently.

Only you know if you are willing to make that walk multiple times a day with your knees but it's worth it to many. One thing we always do is order room service breakfast on all port days to save the back and forth to eat and brush teeth, get ready, and get off the ship.

I posted today the following in another post about guarantee booking.

Receving a stateroom assignment might not be an enjoyable experience if you book a suite guarantee rate and receive a S-2 assignment.

Booking a suite guarantee on a S-class suite could get you in a S2 on S-class ships right under the Ocean buffet floor. If so be ready NOT to sleep from around 3am as carts are rolling above you in order to prepare the area for breakfast... Are you really ready to receive such a stateroom assignment? If not, chose yourself the suite you want or book a regular veranda stateroom.

If and when you get such a poor cabin assignment, do your homework and hope that there are others suites in the same Category (another S2) still remaining opened and less subjected to noise from the upper deck (if there are some…), and call Celebrity to ask for a straight swap.

We would NOT book a S2 stateroom precisely for fear of the noise (not only for fear, but also because of our memories of these nightly noises coming from the floor above our S2) , nor would I book a Suite GTY in fear of getting one.

In as far as S1 are concerned, some are better than others and some have soot problems but the view is beautiful. The shape of the balcony is a little bit weird (compare to aft staterooms on M-class ships) as it is narrow, has a L-shape and walking around table and chairs is very tight.

Nothing seems perfect but perfection most of the time (not always!) can be associated with prices: with a S2 stateroom, whatever the "deal" might be, we will always stay away from that category of suites and, as said, for the fear of getting a noisy S-2, we will always also stay away from a suite guarantee booking.

When booking a suite guarantee, hope for the best but prepare for the worst!

S2? never again unless I could find one available not situated under any busy or tiled area... otherwise be prepared to be awaken at 3am or 4 am each night by carts rolling over your stateroom...

S1 again? yes, even with soot problems (not always, not on every deck apparently) and the size of the balcony (which appears to vary from deck to deck). Sleeping well is so precious...

If possible, consider booking a specific S1 to avoid a S2 assignment under a busy or tiled area.

• 1 month later...

OP, thanks for asking this question (and thanks cc for the search function. Was just about to post the same question). I also got the impression that S1's on S-ships are bigger on deck 11+12 than on the other decks. We are booked in 9299 on Equinox for November and I was wondering if it was worth changing cabins if one on deck 11 or 12 became available?

From my experience all the Aft S1s are the same size, the Deck Plans are not to scale and they don't reflect that the decks get longer with each floor, so for diagrammatic purposes they show the S1s getting shorter.

The only thing to look out for are where the side porthole windows get partially obstructed by the washing equipment that runs vertically down the ship, and this can also obstruct the view forward from the side balcony on some of the higher decks. You need to look up a photograph of the side of the ship to work out which ones these are?

But they are fabulous suites the real bonus being the corner balcony which gives pretty much a 270 degrees view

Also check the sticky for specific cabin information. We're booked in cabin 2146 (S1 corner aft) in September on Equinox and I checked the cabin reviews which stated noise from above was not an issues for the cabin and no mention of obstruction by window washing equipment, so I'm please with the choice.

I had upgraded on a suite guarantee special and was originally assigned a different S1 almost immediately (we're in the US). I checked available S1s and after checking reviews had my TA change us to 2146. I wanted deck 12 because of the shade from the overhang, but was worried about reported noise from the deck above.

I do appreciate the people who post reviews about their experience in different cabins, it really helps!

That window washing equipment really is a non issue. We've been in those cabins twice. They're one deck below Penthouse deck which is our favorite deck.

Yes, they're there, but in the corner and they really only obstruct downward view in that one little place. I wouldn't give it a moment's hesitation to book that cabin. During the day, the equipment isn't even always there as it's in operation. Slight motor hum but we found that it was no problem, and that stops after late afternoon when the equipment is not operating.