HAL's Estuary Tour & other details

TiogaCruiser

Am scheduled to be in Mazatlan next month and I have a few questions please:

1) Could someone who has taken the Estuaries & Bird Watching Expedition confirm whether it is Stone Island where it goes? The latter part of the description is as follows:

"...Enjoy this cruise down mangrove- and palm tree-lined waterways in Mexico’s largest estuary/wetlands system. Explore the private world of the Mexican brown pelican, blue heron, sea hawk, osprey and other exotic waterfowl in this protected wildlife refuge.

Disembark the boat and board land transportation for a ride through a peaceful area with a variety of fruit trees and a coconut plantation.

At a typical beachfront restaurant, savor a delightful Mexican lunch.

There’s time to swim and relax; optional water activities are available for purchase."

2) Am considering doing this, then the mercado on my own afterward, vs doing both independently. If I do it on my own, about how much would the water taxi be, and what is the schedule to return? About how much would it be to go from the cruise terminal to the mercado via pulmonia? Is the water taxi to Stone Island close to the lighthouse trail, and is there time to do all three in a port call that runs from 8:00 to 6:00 ( being back onboard by 4:00/4:30 pm)?

3) Could someone confirm what the cross streets are of the Mercado? I keep getting different descriptions. And is the "Shrimp Market" the same as the big public Market?

4) Would anyone have a hesitation to walk it alone?

Thanks,

~TC

Can't help with the mangrove tour, but...

Water taxi to stone island is about $3 R/T so don't lose your ticket. Runs every few minutes and you want the taxi closest to the cruise terminal (a few blocks vs. a mile or so).

Pulmonia from the Mercado back to the terminal area was $6.

Consider this (did this last February):

Walk out the gate at the cruise terminal and directly across the street you will see the Blue Line. You can follow that 10-15 minutes to the town square. The cathedral is just a few blocks from there, and the Mercado is just another few blocks. All extremely walkable, and "yes" you can go alone.

After visiting the Mercado take a pulmonia back to the water taxi ($6, agree on price BEFORE you get in, no meters). It's just a few minutes across to stone island. When you get off the water taxi go across the little berm directly in front of you and you'll be on the beach. Go left and walk down the beach to a nice palapa restaurant. Lety's is excellent, about a 10 minute walk down the beach. If you like coconut shrimp you'll be in heaven. White table cloths, fresh shrimp, ice cold Pacifico, with your toes in the sand.

You can do all this in about 5 hours without rushing. I'd do this again in a heartbeat.

=================

We went by the shrimp market about 5 years ago, I'm not sure how close it is to the Mercado. The shrimp market was a bunch of stalls/tables set up on a street where they all sell shrimp, wasn't really a lot to see.

=================

Another option is to grab a pulmonia at the Cruise terminal (they run about $20 an hour). Have him take you on a city tour for an hour and drop you off at the Mercado. Then walk to the cathedral, then to the square (not really a lot to see here during the day), then follow the blue line back to the cruise terminal. The water taxi is about two blocks from the terminal, then Lety's.

Google "Mazatlan blue line" and you can read up on it.

According to the internet, and we know it doesn't lie, :" It’s open seven days a week, from 5:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. except on Sundays when it closes at two in the afternoon"

The blue line starts at the cruise terminal so my assumption is it's there for the cruise passengers. There are "blue shirts" (US and Canadian expats) on every corner to answer questions and provide directions. The area around the Cathedral and the Mercado is very active and vibrant.

Not in to light houses so no opinion.