Vantage, Burgundy, Beaujolais, & Provence

zogrand

Weather has been better the last few days. Today is sunny and in the 60's - just perfect! We arrived in Viviers very late last night. What a little gem of a town. It is a lovely walled hill town, mostly 14th century, full of alley ways, narrow, cobbled streets, and lovely old doorways. I had no idea what a treat we were for. Once we climbed to the cathedral we were entertained with an organ concert. The organ was immense, over 2000 pipes. On our way back to the ship we were treated to French salami, a glass of Pastis (90 proof liqueur), and a game of Pétanque (bocce) - fun for all.

We're now on our way to Chateauneuf-du-Pape (Left Viviers about 1 pm, due to arrive about 6pm). The Lock Bollene is the biggest drop of all the locks on this trip. We were allowed to be on the sun deck during the drop - quite a different experience than watching from inside. Most of this trip we haven't been allowed on the sun deck when underway due to low bridges and locks.

By the way - WIFI has been great the whole trip.

JerseyGem,

When are you going on this? There are 7 of us (3 groups) going on the October 30 sailing, and 5 of us flying from Philly and one couple going from JFK.

Stan

We were going to post a "mug shot" for airport ID purposes but I don't have any that worked. Email me if you want one. r983b at AOL dot com

We were going to post a "mug shot" for airport ID purposes but I don't have any that worked. Email me if you want one. r983b at AOL dot com

Hi, If you can get a picture easily, that would be helpful. I am looking for one of us to send you to your e-mail.

Stan

Hi, If you can get a picture easily, that would be helpful. I am looking for one of us to send you to your e-mail.

Stan

It worked and check your mail. It's deja vu all over again.

Edited by CPT Trips

Snonomo - Have a wonderful trip. I imagine you're nearly ready to set out. Right now we're docked in Avignon right across from one of the Medieval gates, a lovely view, and Pont d'Avignon bridge is about a 10 minute walk along the river.

This is the last season River Discovery II is doing this trip. Currently they are not continuing this particular cruise next year, so enjoy, you may not get the chance again. After the last cruise this season, the ship will be barged from Marseille to Amsterdam.

We had a busy day in Avignon today. It's very chilly with the Mistral winds blowing. Time for dinner and packing tonight!

Bye all,

Carol

Edited by zogrand

Stan - heads up on air.

I just noticed that the equipment MAD to LYS changed since I last looked, which was some tie ago. Went from a Regional Jet with 2-2 seating to an Airbus with 3-3 seating. It might be worth double checking you assignments.

Stan - heads up on air.

I just noticed that the equipment MAD to LYS changed since I last looked, which was some tie ago. Went from a Regional Jet with 2-2 seating to an Airbus with 3-3 seating. It might be worth double checking you assignments.

Thanks for the heads-up! I am hoping we are ok, as the flight info I got when we signed on last month shows we go from Madrid to Lyon on an Airbus A320.

Looks like our plane from Philly is an Airbus A330. We are in 11A and B to Madrid and 8 B and C to Lyon.

On return, I show an Airbus A320 to Heathrow, and a Boeing 777 to Philly.

Since we paid to select our seats early, I really don't want to see any changes!

We just booked our rides to and from the airport...$114 round trip. Not too bad...a real hassle doing this on-line to get a 20% discount.

Have started picking out clothes, etc. My very least part of traveling.

Stan

21 A&B to MAD. Hoping my friends at AA can get us a bit closer to the front. I think our friend is about 14 or so, C.

I need to confirm our ride.

Thinking about packing.

I called Vantage today regarding our concierge request after two weeks with no response. Despite making the request through their website, on their form, it seems the concierge did not receive it. They have a lot of making up to do.

I called them today with a few questions and wondering when our luggage tags would arrive. They had a record of the e-mail re the luggage tags and said they had been sent, but would re-send to be sure we get them before we head to DE.

I also got the phone numbers to call if we have trouble with our flights

(in US, call Vantage at 1-800-843-9876; other: 001-617-878-6000) and the number someone here can call if there is an emergency (Vantage Customer Service at 1-888-982-6824).

The fellow I spoke with in Customer had to look up or ask someone for all the info he provided, but it was quick and I feel satisfied that I got all my questions and concerns addressed.

I know you have had numerous problems, and I hope we have such a good trip that you feel they were just tiny bumps on the road to a great time!icon7.gif

Stan

Well, we made. all is well in Avignon. Vantage rep met us at Marseille. We waited about an hour for another flight.......very large bus took us to ship.

My posts won't be as complete as zogrand......typing not my strong suit, plus only have iPad with me. hATE typing on it....I am a one finger typist.

Weather is lovely today....lite jacket was needed for walking tour this morning. Our guide was Manu....excellent. Walking was nice pace over many cobblestone streets. A stop at the town market if you want to buy goodies.

We received our luggage tags one day before we left home

There was a pub crawl scheduled for tonite at 9:30 but we opted out. Between the Captain,s champagne party and the wine with dinner, we were almost ready to crawl to bed....besides it started drizzling as we watched our ship raft up with another. Much smoother than our sailboat raft ups on the Chesapeake!!!

There was a pub crawl scheduled for tonite at 9:30 but we opted out. Between the Captain,s champagne party and the wine with dinner, we were almost ready to crawl to bed....besides it started drizzling as we watched our ship raft up with another. Much smoother than our sailboat raft ups on the Chesapeake!!!

Sounds like your trip is off to a great start! Hope it continues like this!

Share what you ken. No one iz giving gradz for speling heer, enyway!! Sew due not worrie about yer typing!! icon12.gif

sTan

Last post got lost. Good day....slight rain in morning. Temp mid 50. Med jacket fine.

Jeans seem to be ok even for dinner. Most people dressed very casual.

Pont du Gurd trip....we chickened out of climb at last minute....but museum nice. Report was climb not good if claustrophobic.....walking thru narrow, pitch black tunnel

Winery visit good, very informative.

Gypsy combo in the evening....very lively. Get up and show your stuff!

We're finally getting back to normal after our great cruise. Toward the end of the trip many of us had bad colds and coughs. I'm sure some of it was passed around on the ship although they did all they could to encourage the use of hand sanitizer. We were asked by staff to use it whenever we returned to the ship or entered the dining room. There were only two public restrooms on the ship so most of the time people used their private facilities. Anyway, on the flight home I was the person everyone talks about - coughing all the way! Luckily I was only sitting next to DH.

The last few days of the trip were lovely. Avignon was great, lots of streets to explore. Our trip to Pont du Gard was very interesting. I wish we had more time. Walking across the top didn't leave us enough time to see the museum.

Snonomo - It's fun to read about the trip from another's eyes. Keep up the quick comments about your experience!

Carol & Rich,

Glad you had such a great experience...and that you are recovering from the bugs. We had heard about a mouth spray called "Halo" that we tried last time we flew to Europe, and I did not get anything on the flight home as I often do. I just read some reviews of this on Amazon and some people swear by this stuff. We are taking it to try again.

We are almost packed and everything. We drive to our daughter's to fly from Philly, so we are leaving home earlier than we would if flying directly from NC.

We received the luggage tags from Vantage, and, as someone had previously mentioned, they are utilitarian, not fancy.

I happened to find a free pass to any Admiral's Club that I guess I got in 1999 or so. It has no expiration date, so I called and they said I may be able to use it at Heathrow...which would be great, as we have 5 or so hours there. Heathrow is huge, and I don't know if we want to walk too far to the club on the chance we might be able to get in. We'll decide when we get there on the way home.

We are getting very excited now. Had lunch with friends who live in Cannes, and they showed us lots of great pictures of Lyon they had taken. Since we have spent time in Avignon, we know what a beautiful and walkable place that is.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed on this and the other Vantage site. It always amazes me how helpful everyone is...and how many people who know about CC but don't bother to engage on it.

Maybe more later...icon12.gif

Stan

Stan

Did you get the welcome email from the CD/concierge?

You packed already? We are just getting clothes, and stuff, together . . .

Hi,

Yes, we did get the e-mail. We are each packing 3 bags - carry-on, check and overnite for our daughter's house. Trying to go light...tho that hasn't worked yet... I am not taking a sport jacket, just a few sweaters for party nitesicon11.gif.

Looking forward to meeting you all at the airport. We are getting picked up about 2:40 on Sunday by the limo service. I have not missed a plane yet...but came awful close a few times. When we are together, I can tell you about the time I almost missed a flight in Paris, and about my one prior visit to Lyon.

Back to figuring out what paperwork to bring - maps we already have, CC info, etc. Until tomorrow - au revoir!

Stan

Sorry....wifi spotty.

Viziers lovely town. Organ recital.....Amazing Grace never sounded so wonderful!

Taxi to top of hill 6 euro round trip if anyone doesn't want to hike up.

View of area from top impressive.

Fun and games afterwards....lots of people played pétanque, similar to bocce, and pastis with liquour added was nice treat.

Weather was 71 and sunny!!!

Tuesday walking tour of vienne.....nice, nothing spectacular. Our guide was very good....Christian....and he gave the lecture in the lounge later on France Today.

Gala cocktail party.....choice of many complimentary drinks, followed by Captain,s dinner. About half of men had sport jackets, not many ties. About forty percent women long skirts, the rest slacks.

Followed by live music and dancing

Carol & Rich,

Glad you had such a great experience...and that you are recovering from the bugs. We had heard about a mouth spray called "Halo" that we tried last time we flew to Europe, and I did not get anything on the flight home as I often do. I just read some reviews of this on Amazon and some people swear by this stuff. We are taking it to try again.

We are almost packed and everything. We drive to our daughter's to fly from Philly, so we are leaving home earlier than we would if flying directly from NC.

We received the luggage tags from Vantage, and, as someone had previously mentioned, they are utilitarian, not fancy.

I happened to find a free pass to any Admiral's Club that I guess I got in 1999 or so. It has no expiration date, so I called and they said I may be able to use it at Heathrow...which would be great, as we have 5 or so hours there. Heathrow is huge, and I don't know if we want to walk too far to the club on the chance we might be able to get in. We'll decide when we get there on the way home.

We are getting very excited now. Had lunch with friends who live in Cannes, and they showed us lots of great pictures of Lyon they had taken. Since we have spent time in Avignon, we know what a beautiful and walkable place that is.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed on this and the other Vantage site. It always amazes me how helpful everyone is...and how many people who know about CC but don't bother to engage on it.

Maybe more later...icon12.gif

Stan

We have not received luggage tags yet....maybe they will show up today. It has been really great to read the posts from the previous cruise. We are really looking forward to this.

Although we have access to the lounge, our layover at Heathrow will not allow us to stop in. Hopefully, our flight out of JFK will not be delayed or we will miss the connection. And, yes, Heathrow is huge and confusing.

Stan

Did you get the welcome email from the CD/concierge?

You packed already? We are just getting clothes, and stuff, together . . .

We also received the email! And, I won't mention when I pack :) My husband calls me "last minute Lucy".

Thanks again zogrand and snonomo for the live and post cruise reports! Very helpful . . . I'd feel pressure to continue on, but I think we are the last on that itinerary, so no one following us.

Just a couple more last minute questions. How big were the daily tour groups? If you ate on shore, any place you can recommend?

Tour buses about 30 to 40 on each bus.

Packing tip....someone bring a dog biscuit for sad looking dog at Pieroughes!

Also, clothe pins if u plan on washing out anything. I brought small solar lite to use in bathroom during the nite instead of turning on bright harsh lite....charged it at window by day and then desk light until bedtime.

Suggestion....even if going with friends, very good to sit with strangers at some of your meals....u meet so many interesting people that way.

You all might laugh at our luggage tag experience. We had old Vantage tags so weren't even looking for ones for this trip. When we picked up the mail being held by the post office there were luggage tags waiting for us - postmarked 3 days after the cruise started!!:roll eyes:

Also, we had lunch out twice - once in Lyon and once in Avignon. We had tried to get dinner reservations in Lyon but it was a Friday night and the Concierge couldn't find availability at any of our choices. Neither restaurant was worth mentioning - although the lunch in Avignon was better with lots of food, more than we needed. We had a price fixed lunch so I would suggest ordering something from the a la carte menu unless you are very hungry!

Edited by zogrand