I got out and used my camera today...

pierces

• 3 months later...

Our recent trip to Hawaii included some whale watching with a FANTASTIC show by the whales. It was my first day using a circular polarizing filter. Here are a couple of the photos I got which I am trying to make more distinct. Any ideas?DSC00202_zps8h9ejdyn.jpg

DSC00635_zpscdztipc2.jpg

I like both of these, and I did use fade correction on the first which made the blues a little deeper.

Thanks,

Vic

Save

Our recent trip to Hawaii included some whale watching with a FANTASTIC show by the whales. It was my first day using a circular polarizing filter. Here are a couple of the photos I got which I am trying to make more distinct. Any ideas?

DSC00202_zps8h9ejdyn.jpg

Dehaze +, Vibrance +, Highlights-, Whites -

p2248439845.jpg

DSC00635_zpscdztipc2.jpg

Dehaze +, Clarity +

p2248447442.jpg

Not a silver bullet...

Dave

Thanks Dave!,

I especially like the sunset one. That is a baby whale tail and its mother on her side with the flipper in the air. The whole time I was taking the pictures I was trying to figure out what I was looking at.

The whale came underneath the boat we were on and seemed to look directly at me. I love that you can see its eye in the picture.

The new tool I found in PaintShopPro is the Fade Correction, especially for snorkeling pictures. It works much the same as the haze slider. I don't have lightroom, I downloaded a trial but find the save/export function cumbersome since I don't use it much. I've spent a lot of time straightening pictures, at least water horizon shots are easy to straighten. Maybe someday I will use the level instead of trying to eyeball it.

DSCN0134pc_zpsbihkysst.jpg

Vic

I said I'd never use an iPhone but Fate stepped in and through a series of events that involved

my son and the iPhone 6's lack of waterproofing, I now have one that I use daily.

You invented a very expensive coaster. I bet you could sell them online to celebrities. Every Kardashian would need at least a set of 4.

You invented a very expensive coaster. I bet you could sell them online to celebrities. Every Kardashian would need at least a set of 4.

"Expensive" is relative. My relative dropped it in the water and it was expensive to him. For me, it was less expensive than a folded paper towel! :)

Dave

We had recently gone to my wife's high school reunion in Connecticut. All weekend in the middle of nowhere so I brushed the dust off my circular polarizing filter as I sat by the lake and relaxed after the drive.

BoatDock.jpg

There is a beautiful little cemetry at my wifes old school and I had only brought one lens on this trip, my 24-105 f4. While a great lens, f4 is not the best for creating a nice soft blur in the background. So, while my wife was saying good bye to old friends I was playing around using focal length to help get the blurred background I was looking for. In hindsight the composition is not great but I did get a bit of background blur.

Cemetary1.jpg

Beautiful photo, very touching.

• 1 month later...

DSC01421_zpsfd7asj88.jpg

Haystack Rock, Cannon Beach, Oregon. This is what passes for a nice beach day in Oregon.

DSC01452_zpsgmofxsqg.jpg

Low tide so we could walk about 60% around the base of Haystack Rock. I learned a lot about sea anemones and tide pools.

DSC01492_zpsoptgwsf5.jpg

I do love a nice wide beach. There is just something about the ocean too...

Vic

Save

Vic, thanks for the post of Cannon beach. I may take that option on our coastal cruise this fall.

Over the weekend, My daughter, son and I flew to London to see Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 a week before it opens here and we did some sightseeing as well. Nice city. Lots of old stuff!

p2302762285-5.jpg

Dave

Beach weather is very iffy here and unless you have a wet suit it is never really ocean weather. We went to the beach last August when it was almost 100 in town and it was 60, the wind was blowing a gale and it was spitting rain. Being from the east coast originally it was quite a surprise!

Astoria is a really neat little town too.

Vic

Beach weather is very iffy here and unless you have a wet suit it is never really ocean weather. We went to the beach last August when it was almost 100 in town and it was 60, the wind was blowing a gale and it was spitting rain. Being from the east coast originally it was quite a surprise!

Astoria is a really neat little town too.

Vic

Astoria is the port of call on the trip and yes, a neat little town. We've been there a few times and I'm looking for other destinations in the area. We might get lucky and have friends drive up from portland to meet us. You say it's usually cooler there....? :)

Dave

Dave, I assume you will be on your way home from Alaska, so no doubt you will have proper layers to cover any contingency. We had to buy sweatshirts and long pants because we thought it would be 80 - not 60! We're still getting used to the great NW.

Cannon Beach is very crowded on the weekends and parking is a pain. But for a day trip it is close to Astoria and lots of photo ops, the whole coast is beautiful, maybe your friends will know some good secret spots. I haven't been to Fort Stevens yet or crossed the bridge to Long Island, Washington.

Have fun!

Vic

Dave, I assume you will be on your way home from Alaska, so no doubt you will have proper layers to cover any contingency. We had to buy sweatshirts and long pants because we thought it would be 80 - not 60! We're still getting used to the great NW.

Cannon Beach is very crowded on the weekends and parking is a pain. But for a day trip it is close to Astoria and lots of photo ops, the whole coast is beautiful, maybe your friends will know some good secret spots. I haven't been to Fort Stevens yet or crossed the bridge to Long Island, Washington.

Have fun!

Vic

It's actually a Seattle to Seattle coastal cruise with Astoria, San Fran and Victoria. We did it last year and liked it enough to repeat.

Oh, and it's a CRUISE! :)

Dave

• 2 weeks later...
Constantly - 80% of the time (12mm) - for ruins, relics, and tours - couldn't be beat.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

We just got done with a Southern Caribbean trip and the 18-105 never left the A6300 and the Rokinon 12mm was on the A6000 95% of the time. Awesome lens!

BTW, nice shots so far!

Dave

We just got done with a Southern Caribbean trip and the 18-105 never left the A6300 and the Rokinon 12mm was on the A6000 95% of the time. Awesome lens!

BTW, nice shots so far!

Dave

All cellphone pics so far, I don't travel with a laptop - going to take a while to cull through them next week or two.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk