New pricing for room service.

Panda4466

Hi have not posted before so hope it is ok. I have booked on cruise this year and now p and o have now changed their goal posts about room service as it was free before and now you have to pay for all of it apart from breakfast. Has anyone else got this email from them. Very disappointed at their change of pricing as it is my first cruise as was looking forward to eating some meals on our balcony but now will have to pay for pleasure.:(:loudcry:

Sorry Panda4466 but you have been misinformed there have been some items been chargeable on the room service menu for some time.

Yes that is the case but now ALL items are chargeable other than breakfast.

Brian

Is it feasible for one of you to go down to the buffet and bring some food back to eat on the balcony.

Great idea if they don't object I can do that as three adults thanks for advise

Yes that is the case but now ALL items are chargeable other than breakfast.

Brian

I am well aware of the new policy was just pointing out that Panda4466 thought until recently all items on the room service menu were free when there have been some chargeable items for a while.

The trouble with taking hot food back to your cabin is that unless your cabin is on the deck of the buffet or nearby any hot food will be cold by the time you get back. I have only taken muffins or bacon sandwiches wrapped in napkins back to my cabin for my sleeping sons!!

The trouble with taking hot food back to your cabin is that unless your cabin is on the deck of the buffet or nearby any hot food will be cold by the time you get back. I have only taken muffins or bacon sandwiches wrapped in napkins back to my cabin for my sleeping sons!!

Yes that is true and nothing worse than cold food . Will stick to sandwiches , muffins etc to take back thanks

I have seen the new Room Service Menu and accepting that there are now charges for everything other than breakfast, the choice is so much better. We have often used Room Service when returning from a morning excursion that gets back after lunch time. We liked the Chicken and Bacon Baguette, for which we had to pay. Now, the choices of main meals are much better and we don't mind paying for that. We are on the long South American cruise next year and are pleased that we have a good selection of meals from which to choose. Would it have been better if everything was free - yes of course - but realistically this wasn't going to happen. As has been said it is possible to bring something from the buffet and have it on the balcony - we've sometimes done this at tea time - just a piece of cake to go with our cup of tea.

Yes that would be nice , must be harder for their staff to go round delivering meals when all ready busy . Tea and cake sounds good on balcony . I must admit I am useless in mornings so looking forward to chilling and breakfast in room . Amazes me how they do such great choice of food . Looking forward to first cruise will either hate it or love it but the experience must be tried . Thanks for help

Complementary room service has always been one of the basic services on cruise ships (still is on Cunard and many more including Fred Olsen). What are they going to cut next because this won't be the last one that's for certain.

P&O seem to be leading the rush to the bottom of the market.

David.

Complementary room service has always been one of the basic services on cruise ships (still is on Cunard and many more including Fred Olsen). What are they going to cut next because this won't be the last one that's for certain.

P&O seem to be leading the rush to the bottom of the market.

David.

I've answered this on another thread. I don't think in real terms we are paying more, I think they are keeping the baseline cost down to make cruising affordable and fill up ships.

If they didn't start charging extra for all these things the baseline cost would have to go up - which isn't their current strategy.

You never know, when they eventually announce the loyalty changes perhaps free room service will be one of the benefits for some tiers [emoji6] Although I suspect I will have fossilised long before any loyalty announcements are made (yawn).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

All cruise lines have cut different things from the cruise fare over the years to keep prices competitive and are now excellent value for money compared to our first cruise on the QE2 in 1997 when we paid over £100pppn for the cheapest inside cabin on the ship 20yrs on and you can get a balcony these days for same price. Compare that to todays prices and take into account inflation and oil price increases makes cruising excellent value for money today. A small price for room service is no great hardship IMO considering you can go to restaurant and have a 3 course lunch, all you can eat buffet or pizza/burger on deck at no extra cost.