Breakaway 7/16-23: Finding peace & quiet at a bargain price

My party - Me, hubby, 2 teen girls

Cabin - 2 inside cabins, deck 12, aft

Upgrades - UBP

It is possible to enjoy this cruise and find peace & quiet without paying for Haven, Vibe or Spa! We are new cruisers and have no special perks with this cruise line and still felt like we had excellent service.

Departure day - we arrived by car to the terminal at 10:30 AM and easily found parking. It wasn't clear where to board the ship, so based on people walking, we ended up parking near the back of the lot...and the elevator to the terminal was in the front. However, the lot isn't that large, so no big deal.

With just regular boarding (no special privileges), we were through the lines in less than an hour. They had started boarding at 11 AM, so by the time we were checked in, we were able to walk right on around 11:30 AM. Rooms weren't ready yet, so we explored the ship and even ate in the buffet, which was surprisingly uncrowded.

We really didn't experience crowds until the safety drill, which was to be expected and doesn't really take that long to sit through.

Now, other posters are correct that certain areas are mobbed: the pool area and decks around the pool (at that level and 1 up), the pool bar, and the garden cafe buffet (although if you come very early or late to the buffet, it isn't too bad.) We pretty much avoided all of those areas in favor of quieter places.

Deck 17 at the front of the ship was never crowded. This is just outside the Vibe area. The very front of the ship even has a handful of cushioned sun beds and some big, round chairs that can fit 2 people. We were able to get loungers there as late as 10:30 AM, even right along the water/ship's edge. There is a bar up there that was never crowded and we never had to wait more than a few minutes to be served a drink....even without a tip in hand. There is a shower if you want to cool off or you can trot down 2 levels to the pool, although then you are entering crowded territory.

Seating along the Waterfront (deck 8, outside the speciality restaurants) was also always available. This is shaded and a great place to curl up with a book, relax with a drink, or just watch the sea go by. We visited this area at all sorts of times and could always find a seat. There is a mix of tables & chairs, cushioned seats, and cushioned lounge beds.

For dining, if you like buffets, try to dine in off hours. The breakfast buffet was practically empty on sea days at around 7:30. Sit toward the back for even more quiet and better air conditioning. Savor & Taste (complimentary sit down restaurants) were never crowded for breakfast.

For lunch while at sea, the buffet at Moderno was a pleasant surprise. It is much smaller, with a themed menu, but not at all crowded. You can dine inside or outside.

For dinner, Taste, Savor and the Manhattan room never had a long wait for us, even at peak dining times. Sometimes we were seated immediately. Our longest wait was maybe 20 minutes at a 7:30 arrival - peak dining time on the ship. Sometimes the service in the restaurants was a bit slow, but we had nowhere to rush off to, so didn't mind just relaxing and enjoying the quiet time.

If you want to try the up-charge restaurants, don't worry about them being booked solid. They were booked solid on our cruise and were often half-empty when we walked by. We only ate in one once and when we walked up at 8 PM to see if there was availability, they could seat us immediately (even though the app showed it was booked solid).

Once in Bermuda, it seems that everyone rushes to Horseshoe Bay beach the first day....as did we. Once there, if you don't mind walking a bit, head out to the left past the main beach and around the rocks. You will find another smaller beach that is practically empty. You can't get chairs or an umbrella for over there, but it is worth it if peace and quiet is what you seek. (Watch the tide coming in - it is a bit hard to cross back through during high tide. I think there might be another way around, but we didn't look for it.)

Another option is to wait until day 2 to go to Horseshoe Bay. We viewed it from a boat on day 2 and it was about 1/2 as crowded. Or get up early and go on day 3 (you won't have the whole day) for 1/4 of the people. Just be sure to give yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship!

On disembarkation day, we selected to carry our own luggage and took the 2nd early AM timeslot - 8:30-9. They called our color closer to 8 AM (and we weren't quite ready to leave.) But by 8:15, we were out of our room and we made it through the lines, customs, and back to our car just before 9 AM.

So --- it is possible to have peace & quiet on this ship of 4,000+ people, without Haven, Vibe, Latitudes status or any special perks....you just have to look for it!

• Like 1

My party - Me, hubby, 2 teen girls

Cabin - 2 inside cabins, deck 12, aft

Upgrades - UBP

It is possible to enjoy this cruise and find peace & quiet without paying for Haven, Vibe or Spa! We are new cruisers and have no special perks with this cruise line and still felt like we had excellent service.

Departure day - we arrived by car to the terminal at 10:30 AM and easily found parking. It wasn't clear where to board the ship, so based on people walking, we ended up parking near the back of the lot...and the elevator to the terminal was in the front. However, the lot isn't that large, so no big deal.

With just regular boarding (no special privileges), we were through the lines in less than an hour. They had started boarding at 11 AM, so by the time we were checked in, we were able to walk right on around 11:30 AM. Rooms weren't ready yet, so we explored the ship and even ate in the buffet, which was surprisingly uncrowded.

We really didn't experience crowds until the safety drill, which was to be expected and doesn't really take that long to sit through.

Now, other posters are correct that certain areas are mobbed: the pool area and decks around the pool (at that level and 1 up), the pool bar, and the garden cafe buffet (although if you come very early or late to the buffet, it isn't too bad.) We pretty much avoided all of those areas in favor of quieter places.

Deck 17 at the front of the ship was never crowded. This is just outside the Vibe area. The very front of the ship even has a handful of cushioned sun beds and some big, round chairs that can fit 2 people. We were able to get loungers there as late as 10:30 AM, even right along the water/ship's edge. There is a bar up there that was never crowded and we never had to wait more than a few minutes to be served a drink....even without a tip in hand. There is a shower if you want to cool off or you can trot down 2 levels to the pool, although then you are entering crowded territory.

Seating along the Waterfront (deck 8, outside the speciality restaurants) was also always available. This is shaded and a great place to curl up with a book, relax with a drink, or just watch the sea go by. We visited this area at all sorts of times and could always find a seat. There is a mix of tables & chairs, cushioned seats, and cushioned lounge beds.

For dining, if you like buffets, try to dine in off hours. The breakfast buffet was practically empty on sea days at around 7:30. Sit toward the back for even more quiet and better air conditioning. Savor & Taste (complimentary sit down restaurants) were never crowded for breakfast.

For lunch while at sea, the buffet at Moderno was a pleasant surprise. It is much smaller, with a themed menu, but not at all crowded. You can dine inside or outside.

For dinner, Taste, Savor and the Manhattan room never had a long wait for us, even at peak dining times. Sometimes we were seated immediately. Our longest wait was maybe 20 minutes at a 7:30 arrival - peak dining time on the ship. Sometimes the service in the restaurants was a bit slow, but we had nowhere to rush off to, so didn't mind just relaxing and enjoying the quiet time.

If you want to try the up-charge restaurants, don't worry about them being booked solid. They were booked solid on our cruise and were often half-empty when we walked by. We only ate in one once and when we walked up at 8 PM to see if there was availability, they could seat us immediately (even though the app showed it was booked solid).

Once in Bermuda, it seems that everyone rushes to Horseshoe Bay beach the first day....as did we. Once there, if you don't mind walking a bit, head out to the left past the main beach and around the rocks. You will find another smaller beach that is practically empty. You can't get chairs or an umbrella for over there, but it is worth it if peace and quiet is what you seek. (Watch the tide coming in - it is a bit hard to cross back through during high tide. I think there might be another way around, but we didn't look for it.)

Another option is to wait until day 2 to go to Horseshoe Bay. We viewed it from a boat on day 2 and it was about 1/2 as crowded. Or get up early and go on day 3 (you won't have the whole day) for 1/4 of the people. Just be sure to give yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship!

On disembarkation day, we selected to carry our own luggage and took the 2nd early AM timeslot - 8:30-9. They called our color closer to 8 AM (and we weren't quite ready to leave.) But by 8:15, we were out of our room and we made it through the lines, customs, and back to our car just before 9 AM.

So --- it is possible to have peace & quiet on this ship of 4,000+ people, without Haven, Vibe, Latitudes status or any special perks....you just have to look for it!

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for your positive review! We are going on BA to Bermuda next week and I read a few awlful BA threads I was starting to to freak.

We have 2 inside staterooms for a family of 4 too with 2 pre teens and UBP. So very similar! I loved and appreciate your tips on where to go during the sea day to in trying to avoid the crowds of the pool decks.

We are frequent cruisers (15 cruises on Disney, Princess and one other NCL) and ALWAYS try to avoid the pool deck on ships on sea days. We look for where the crowds aren't and try to head there. So we will be sure to find those quieter spaces you mentioned.

We thought about going to St. George and Tobacco Bay on the first day. I wonder if the crowds are quieter there on the first day with so many people heading towards Horseshoe Bay.

Our second day we planned a ferry ride to Hamilton and then bus to Elbow Beach to snorkel at the off the coast shipwreck and than take walk to Warwick Long and Jobsons Cover and than to Horseshoe Bay of we aren't toast :-) than take the bus back to the port.

On third day, we are either going to do a Catamaran Snorkel Sail or head to HSB really early for 2-3 hours and than head back to the boat.

We thought of staying in the dockyards and going to Snorkel Park beach but I am sure it will be really crowded on the last day in port.

Very good - nice & refreshing report from new cruiser's perspective. Much appreciated - how did you find MDR for lunch & dinner ? (it seemed that you didn't upcharge & spend extra money for specialty meals)

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for your positive review! We are going on BA to Bermuda next week and I read a few awlful BA threads I was starting to to freak.

We have 2 inside staterooms for a family of 4 too with 2 pre teens and UBP. So very similar! I loved and appreciate your tips on where to go during the sea day to in trying to avoid the crowds of the pool decks.

We are frequent cruisers (15 cruises on Disney, Princess and one other NCL) and ALWAYS try to avoid the pool deck on ships on sea days. We look for where the crowds aren't and try to head there. So we will be sure to find those quieter spaces you mentioned.

We thought about going to St. George and Tobacco Bay on the first day. I wonder if the crowds are quieter there on the first day with so many people heading towards Horseshoe Bay.

Our second day we planned a ferry ride to Hamilton and then bus to Elbow Beach to snorkel at the off the coast shipwreck and than take walk to Warwick Long and Jobsons Cover and than to Horseshoe Bay of we aren't toast :-) than take the bus back to the port.

On third day, we are either going to do a Catamaran Snorkel Sail or head to HSB really early for 2-3 hours and than head back to the boat.

We thought of staying in the dockyards and going to Snorkel Park beach but I am sure it will be really crowded on the last day in port.

We drove by Tobacco Bay on the first day and it was the most crowded beach we saw. Your plans for day 2 and 3 look great. Warwick wasn't crowded at all on the 2nd day. You will love it.

Very good - nice & refreshing report from new cruiser's perspective. Much appreciated - how did you find MDR for lunch & dinner ? (it seemed that you didn't upcharge & spend extra money for specialty meals)

We didn't use MDR for lunch. We ate at Moderno 2 or 3 days, O'Sheehans 1 or 2 days, and regular buffet a couple of times.

For dinner, we thought the food was great. I ordered one of the specialty meals every night. The kids switched between specialty meals and the "regular" entrees, if they didn't see something they liked. The New York strip was a good standby option, especially for my 13 yo, who is a less adventurous eater. But I am happy to say they both tried new things on this cruise and found new foods they loved!

I didn't find the waits to be seated to be excessive. Most we waited was 20 minutes and sometimes we were seated immediately.

The service in the restaurants was a bit slow, but we weren't in a rush. I'm happy to relax over a leisurely meal. If you have show reservations or like to eat more quickly, MDR is probably not your best bet, unless you are seated around 6-6:30. One night we went to dinner around 6 and service was very quick.

Thank you for you unbiased, positive review. I just shared the link to a friend of mine that is cruising Breakaway to Bermuda for the first time with about 10 family members ranging in age from 5 to 95. She was really worried about not being able to make dining reservations in advance, but your review will make her feel much better. Plus your Bermuda tips are fantastic.

Thanks again.

Thank you for you unbiased, positive review. I just shared the link to a friend of mine that is cruising Breakaway to Bermuda for the first time with about 10 family members ranging in age from 5 to 95. She was really worried about not being able to make dining reservations in advance, but your review will make her feel much better. Plus your Bermuda tips are fantastic.

Thanks again.

Please note that a group of 10 is likely a VERY different situation. That involves pulling tables together. Most tables in the restaurants were for 2-4 people. A group of 10 is going to require 3 adjacent tables. The Manhattan room is much bigger and has some larger tables, so that will be a better bet for them. And/or they should consider making reservations, even in the MDRs.