Last minute questions

Cruise Critic always comes through for me, no matter how banal the question. We are now at a bit more than a week until our Jewel cruise to Alaska, and I have a few last minute questions please.

Will your Cabin Steward provide an iron and board upon request?

On the Jewel, in Oceanview cabins, are the shower enclosures doors or curtains?

When the itinerary says that port time is 7:00 am to 1:30pm, does that mean that we can get off ship at 7:00am and don't have to be back on board till 1:30?

The Roll Call is not very big for this cruise, and I've not been able to ascertain if there is an obvious and optimum spot for a sail away drink and gathering. Can anybody recommend the best place for sail away on the Jewel?

In the Oceanview cabins, is there adequate storage and/or shelf space in the bathroom?

Do they have liquid/flavored coffee creamer?

Best place to grab a breakfast bite prior to getting off in port?

I have been told that the blow dryers are good ones and not the tiny little barely blowers like many hotels have. True? I have a lot of long hair and hate to spend all day blow drying with a wimpy blow dryer.

Finally, hubby and I, as well as the other couple joining us, are not big on excursions. We prefer to wander and discover. Any recommendations for cool things to do or see, places to grab a bite, or just "don't miss" things in Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Victoria, B.C.?

Thanks in advance!

Will your Cabin Steward provide an iron and board upon request?

Yes. You can borrow it for a short period of time. Be ready to get your ironing done when it arrives. Your steward will be back quickly since it is a fire hazard.

On the Jewel, in Oceanview cabins, are the shower enclosures doors or curtains?

Enclosure

When the itinerary says that port time is 7:00 am to 1:30pm, does that mean that we can get off ship at 7:00am and don't have to be back on board till 1:30?

You can disembark when the ship is cleared by local authorities. Usually around 7:00.

All aboard is 30 minutes before departure time (1:00 pm). The ship drops lines and leaves the dock at 1:30. Show up at 1:30 and watch your ship as it leaves,,,, without you.

The Roll Call is not very big for this cruise, and I've not been able to ascertain if there is an obvious and optimum spot for a sail away drink and gathering. Can anybody recommend the best place for sail away on the Jewel?

The views are beautiful from up on deck. Or back at the great outdoors.

In the Oceanview cabins, is there adequate storage and/or shelf space in the bathroom?

Never enough storage in the bathrooms.

Do they have liquid/flavored coffee creamer?

Liquid creamer.

Best place to grab a breakfast bite prior to getting off in port?

Buffet.

I have been told that the blow dryers are good ones and not the tiny little barely blowers like many hotels have. True? I have a lot of long hair and hate to spend all day blow drying with a wimpy blow dryer.

Hair dryer is good.

Finally, hubby and I, as well as the other couple joining us, are not big on excursions. We prefer to wander and discover. Any recommendations for cool things to do or see, places to grab a bite, or just "don't miss" things in Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway and Victoria, B.C.?

Ketchikan you can walk around easily. Get up to Creek Street. Juneau, you need to catch the bus over to town. A trip up the tramway and walk through the forested areas is good (if the weather is nice). Skagway is a bit of a walk (you can get a tram) and there is a lot to see if you walk around town.

Thanks in advance!

Have a great cruise! We sailed on the Jewel to Alaska in 2015 and 2016.

Thanks in advance!

You can post this on the Alaska Port of Call Forum for more tips.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

For Victoria, B.C., check this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2455378

Edited by easyboy

some good answers above, but may not agree with all aboard time.

They will post an all aboard time in each port which should be SIMILAR to what they have already shared. It could be different.

In any event, that will be 30 minutes before departure. You will see some folks board closer to departure at times. Not suggested you push it, but it has been done.

You should be able to get off the ship close to the arrival time if tied to the pier. If you are have to take a tender, it could easily be an hour.

Ideas for Alaska - visit the PORTS OF CALL sub forums here. There are tons of ideas.

In Ketchikan we went to the Lumberjack show. Very hokey. I was hoping for a more straightforward show.

In Juneau we did a helicopter tour up to Mendenhall Glacier. Got out and explored the glacier up close. Pricey, but worth it IMHO.

In Skagway we walked to the depot and took the White Pass vintage Train up to Frasier BC. Awesome! Just be sure and take your passport if you do this. My mom only took a photocopy and they got angry with her.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Though you and your group don't like excursions, Skagway is great place to rent a car to do you exploring. If you all have passports you can drive up to Emerald Lake and Carcross and it's a beautiful drive and well work the price of a rental car (if you can get one--Avis is the main rental company)..

Ketchikan is a great place to just wander around. Stroll along Creek Street, take the funicular up and you'll see some totem poles, you can then follow Married Man's Trail down.

Juneau is where Tracy's Crab Shack is and it's amazing--pricey, but amazing!

I haven't been on the Jewel (was on the Pearl to Alaska last month on my fourth Alaska cruise), but if there's an O'Sheehan's that's a good place to have breakfast. :)