The one thing I must buy in Jamaica is.....

lvetocruise2012

We brought coffee, jerk sauce, spices, Sangster's rum cream and souvenir jamaica soccer shirts for the kids next door at the MegaMart in Montego Bay. MegaMart is Jamaica's version of Sam's, however, unlike Sams you do not need a membership to shop there. Their pricing is for the local population, not tourists, so therefore very reasonable.

MegaMart in Montego Bay is off W. Green Avenue in Montego Bay and is less than 2 miles from the port. However, getting there is not pedestrian friendly, along busy streets with few sidewalks. We got a cab but the fare, negotiated by the person who arranges cabs at the port, was way too expensive. That is one thing that I dislike about the MoBay cruise port. No easy way to negotiate your own cab fares.

But MegaMart is a fun place to visit to see where the locals shop and what they buy.

• 4 weeks later...

Keep in mind, many Caribbean rums are sold in the US, including Appleton Estate and Mount Gay. In some instances, the more expensive (aged) rums may not always be sold (or readily available) in the US. You may want to check to see what is available close to home, and make note of the pricing.

In Pennsylvania, available Appleton Estate Signature and Appleton Estate Reserve rums are available in store, while their 12 Year, 21 Year and elusive 50 year rums are available by special order. Mount Gay rums (Barbados) available in store include their Black Barrel, Eclipse and Silver Eclipse Rum, but their Extra Old is frequently out of stock or special order, while their XO Cask Strength rum is a special order only.

Also, depending on what port you return to, you may pay very high import taxes. We normally cruise out of Florida, but our last cruise was out of Galveston. We were shocked to discover that we paid $3.75 per liter of alcohol. So, know your prices well, the savings may not be that great. Of course, you only pay import taxes on the alcohol you declare. Make of that statement what you will. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
The last time I was in Falmouth, about 4 blocks straight up from the port gates on the left, was a local grocery store.

Believe it or not, I always try to buy sugar in the islands. It is sold in brown paper or clear plastic bags, and is the less refined, crystally brown type. I always keep a canister on my kitchen counter.

You can also get "Pickapeppa Sauce" there. There is the regular kind, which is kind of like A1 sauce, but they also make a hotter variety which is delicious.

Stone's Ginger Wine is also sold in the grocery store.

They have no problem taking USD.

http://stonesgingerwine.com/products/images/g_stones_original_on_white_0100_0400.jpg

Do you know if they sell Blue Mountain coffee there? (yn)

Ting as well as ginger beer (non-alcoholic), champagne kola (also NA), coffee, Scotch Bonnet pepper sauce, jerk seasoning. When I first started going to Jamaica these were highly prized items but now it is easy to find the scotch bonnet sauces in stores and you can even buy Ting at my local Walmart.

But I will say that while jerk chicken and jerk pork have become pretty popular in the States, you have to try some in Jamaica. They use wood from trees that are native to the Caribbean that give it something that you just can't replicate back home.

• Thanks 1

While in Falmouth, we purchased a beautiful wooden vase. After we came home, we found out that the vase had little tiny wood eating bugs!!

Thus, I, personally, would not buy anything made of wood there!

(We had a pest control company come out to get rid of them!)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes. I found good blue Mountain coffee cheaper than the US and cheaper tab the port. Love the local grocery stores in town

That's where we bought our Blue Mountain coffee beans, for a lot less than was being hawked on the streetcorners in Ocho Rios. Also a great chance to see a slice of everyday life in Jamaica, what the stores offer, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I cannot find an updated 2017US Dollar price for a 750ml bottle of Sangsters Rum Cream. Does anyone know how much a 750ml bottle is running at the shops in the Port of Falmouth or in a grocery store near the port?

Thanks.