The one thing I must buy in Jamaica is.....

lvetocruise2012

• 1 month later...

So if we get off ship in Falmouth what is in port. I see mention of gates? Does this mean "safety within gates". I just want to buy **** glasses or key rings or some other souvenirs to bring back to remind me of jamaica.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Also, depending on what port you return to, you may pay very high import taxes. We normally cruise out of Florida, but our last cruise was out of Galveston. We were shocked to discover that we paid $3.75 per liter of alcohol. So, know your prices well, the savings may not be that great. Of course, you only pay import taxes on the alcohol you declare. Make of that statement what you will. ;)

Crap! Does this apply to things other than alcohol? I was thinking about getting some of the cream mentioned, but will there be a tax on coffee, spice, vanilla, or the other stuff when sailing into Galveston?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I bought Berry Hill pimento Allspice Liqueur made by Appleton Rum at their estate a few years ago. It is great in eggnog at Christmas, but not sold in the U.S. Trying to find out if it is sold any stores or shops in town or at the port. I want some more but don't want to take the excursion again. By the way it was a great excursion & the estate is worth seeing, but have the attitude "been there/done that" & want to do something different. Thanks for any information you can give me.

Thank you for the recommendation, it sounds very good, but is almost $36 a bottle.

The Berry Hill was a lot cheaper in Jamaica & I would prefer to get it there. Just trying to find out if it is sold near the port or at the Duty Free shops.

• 2 months later...
Ting as well as ginger beer (non-alcoholic), champagne kola (also NA), coffee, Scotch Bonnet pepper sauce, jerk seasoning. When I first started going to Jamaica these were highly prized items but now it is easy to find the scotch bonnet sauces in stores and you can even buy Ting at my local Walmart.

But I will say that while jerk chicken and jerk pork have become pretty popular in the States, you have to try some in Jamaica. They use wood from trees that are native to the Caribbean that give it something that you just can't replicate back home.

Agreed, there is something better about it there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/19/2019 at 12:43 PM, bmar808 said:

This☝️☝️!!!! We are out and I am thinking of taking a cruise there just to get more!!

I actually chose to spend a week there and I would be telling a fib if I said that rum cream didn’t play a big part in the decision....lol

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is a good question, but I don't know (it looks like there has been no response since last year???, but I may be wrong) if I will get a reply or not.

It has been over 20 some years since I have been to Jamaica.  Would I be able to pick up vanilla extract here? Do they have vendors close by the Ocho Rios ship port area?  Do they do any bargaining or have a set price on their items?

• 3 months later...

Just some thoughts on this topic:

Ting soda is sold here in New York at Caribbean shops and Jamaican restaurants. Delicious. 

Blue Mountain Coffee is the most expensive coffee in the world... however, the hurricanes that have wreaked havoc in Jamaica starting in 1988 have caused the quality of the beans to decrease. It is STILL great coffee, just not what it used to be.

And finally, if you love jerk chicken/pork, you will NOT have any better than what’s sold in Jamaica. BUT... the Pimento wood that it’s cooked over, that’s only native to Jamaica, is sold and shipped online. One of the places selling it is HERE.

• 1 month later...
Keep in mind, many Caribbean rums are sold in the US, including Appleton Estate and Mount Gay. In some instances, the more expensive (aged) rums may not always be sold (or readily available) in the US. You may want to check to see what is available close to home, and make note of the pricing.

In Pennsylvania, available Appleton Estate Signature and Appleton Estate Reserve rums are available in store, while their 12 Year, 21 Year and elusive 50 year rums are available by special order. Mount Gay rums (Barbados) available in store include their Black Barrel, Eclipse and Silver Eclipse Rum, but their Extra Old is frequently out of stock or special order, while their XO Cask Strength rum is a special order only.

My husband and I are seasoned cruisers, but not seasoned rum buyers and we taste tested a dark rum “Rumba” on our excursion when we were brought by our excursion bus to “Andy’s Souvenirs” at the end of our tour. We should have known better, but we tasted the rum and liked it as it was very smooth and bought a bottle at US$80 for 750 mls. Expensive we thought at the time, but we liked it so we bought it....I’m sure some of you know where this is going by now....
Much to our chagrin, when we got back to Michigan and were looking for things to take back to Canada with us that we can’t get there, we came across a $750 ml bottle of Rumba...for US$36....we feel like prize idiots, but just a reminder to those buying Caribbean rums, know what you’re looking for and do your research before buying.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums