Cheers from New Orleans

cbCRR

It is charged most if not all the way down the river.

I don't recall how late in the evening tax is charged (thanks to using the cheers package successfully the first evening), but they do stop charging it at some point.

Is tax on the drinks only charged when in port, or until you get off the Mississippi River into the Gulf? I know that's about the first 8 hours, so just trying to plan. ;-) thanks!

You will pay tax on the drinks until you reach international water, 12 miles past your exit from the Mississippi. On our cruise from NOLA it was about 1am, give or take.

Yes, LA law requires charging the sales tax on drinks. As for timing on the way back, it is earlier than you think. Probably closer to 7 or 8 pm. You will also find the Shops closed that last night at about 8:30 (I screwed that up big time. Promised my kids a souvenir the last night, but the shops were closed when we got there).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Is this a Louisiana thing?

You will pay the local sales tax on any drinks while in US waters regardless of the state. It is just that you are in Louisiana longer because of transversing the Mississippi River.

On a 4 day from Long Beach you pay tax when you are in Long Beach, then Catalina. When sailing from Ft. Lauderdale or Miami you pay tax on drinks before you reach international waters, then in any stops in US ports, like Key West.

The tax is based on the local tax rate.

You will pay the local sales tax on any drinks while in US waters regardless of the state. It is just that you are in Louisiana longer because of transversing the Mississippi River.

On a 4 day from Long Beach you pay tax when you are in Long Beach, then Catalina. When sailing from Ft. Lauderdale or Miami you pay tax on drinks before you reach international waters, then in any stops in US ports, like Key West.

The tax is based on the local tax rate.

Not on Royal Caribbean a couple weeks ago, we ordered drinks onboard while still at the dock in port Everglades. This doesn't seem like a law that would apply to just Carnival customers so that is where my confusion lies.

I have no clue, maybe they include the tax in the price of their drinks and charge it everywhere so you never see it, or they make some arrangement to pay the tax differently than Carnival does.

I can only speak to my experience on Carnival.

Others have queried why RCCL sells their drink package on day 1 from Texas, and Carnival will not. I don't have a clue, but I know that on Carnival you pay tax on drinks purchased in US waters, and you can't buy "Cheers" until day 2 of a cruise out of Galveston.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So even if you purchased the Cheers package, you're still charged tax on the drink's purchase (regular menu) price?

Yes, Carnival does not charge sales tax on the purchase of the cheers program itself, they apply the sales tax to each individual drink while you are in international waters, the same as if you are not on the cheers program and pay for your drinks individually, the same tax applies.

Yes, Carnival does not charge sales tax on the purchase of the cheers program itself, they apply the sales tax to each individual drink while you are in international waters, the same as if you are not on the cheers program and pay for your drinks individually, the same tax applies.

They do not charge tax in international waters.

• 1 year later...
Not on Royal Caribbean a couple weeks ago, we ordered drinks onboard while still at the dock in port Everglades. This doesn't seem like a law that would apply to just Carnival customers so that is where my confusion lies.

There are two possibilities: 1. There is a liquor tax exemption for lodging entities that offer complimentary food and beverage as part of a packaged rate, and where no specific amount is stated as a charge for such drinks. It's a slight possibility that they successfully argued to get this exception. (Think Embassy Suites). If this is the case you could tell by who does and does not pay tax on a drink. Packages would be exempt, single drinks would not.

More Likely: 2. They pay the tax on the drinks in port for people, and net it out of their beverage revenue. In other words you pay $12.00, they keep $10 and pay $2 to the department of revenue

Once you set sail you will only be charged the state sales tax(5%). My daiquiri was $9.90($8.25 + $1.24 15% tip + $0.41 tax). In port, the sales tax is supposed to be 10%.

The French Quarter(including Canal Street)charges 10.2495% sales tax. The IHOP on Canal Street was closer to 11%.