Need help in san diego

MOYSHA

We will be cruising out of San Diego on the Radiance of the Seas. Our plane will arrive in San Diego at about noon on the day before the cruise and we plan on spending the night in San Diego and getting to the cruise ship at about noon.

1) We need a hotel for that first night before the cruise.Some people suggested the Hampton Inn, but many other people stated that when they stayed there the noise from the train kept them awake(comments please). Any suggestions for a hotel for the first night ?

2) What suggestions do you have for the day we arrive in SD ? I guess we would be at the hotel at about 2PM. Where would you suggest for dinner that night?

SORRY, MY INITIAL POST WAS CUT OFF. HERE IS THE COMPLETE POST

We will be cruising out of San Diego on the Radiance of the Seas. Our plane will arrive in San Diego at about noon on the day before the cruise and we plan on spending the night in San Diego and getting to the cruise ship at about noon the day of the cruise.

1) We need a hotel for that first night before the cruise.Some people suggested the Hampton Inn, but many other people stated that when they stayed there the noise from the train kept them awake(comments please). Any suggestions for a hotel for the first night ?

2) What suggestions do you have for the day we arrive in SD as to sightseeing ? I guess we would be at the hotel at about 2PM. Where would you suggest for dinner that night?

3) When we return to SD after the cruise we plan on spending that night in SD, so we will have 2 days to cram in everything since our flight leaves SD at about 10PM (red eye). Where should we stay after the cruise that would be convenient for sightseeing ? What sights would you recommend? We do like zoos very much, but would hate to spend a full day at the zoo and miss seeing everthing else.

Thanks for your help

hello,

In addition to the excellent recommendations made in the prior post, consider the Hilton San Diego Airport/Harbor Island.

Another idea is to rent a car at the airport. Having a rental car will allow you to choose from a much wider range of hotels including those in La Jolla and Del Mar.

Thanks WINEMANVISALIA and Fredr

If we did stay at one of these hotels,and I assume they are at or near the airport and cruiseport, where would be a nice place,nearby, to go for some sightseeing that afternoon? How safe is this area at night? What would be a nice,sensibly priced "local type" restaurant for that evening?

If you are zoo fans you really should do the SD zoo. It is regarded as one of the best in the world. It does not need to be a full day event but it can be if you want.

I also love Sea World. That is a full day though. As you are from Tampa you have probably already done Sea World in Orlando and it is very similar.

There is the USS Midway and Maritime Museum near the port (one is open until 8). Seaport Village is also very nice place to shop and eat. Many people on CC like the Holiday Inn on the Bay. It is probably a good choice for both nights for convenience to the airport, cruise terminal and major attractions.

Jen in SoCal

SORRY, MY INITIAL POST WAS CUT OFF. HERE IS THE COMPLETE POST

We will be cruising out of San Diego on the Radiance of the Seas. Our plane will arrive in San Diego at about noon on the day before the cruise and we plan on spending the night in San Diego and getting to the cruise ship at about noon the day of the cruise.

2) What suggestions do you have for the day we arrive in SD as to sightseeing ? I guess we would be at the hotel at about 2PM. Where would you suggest for dinner that night?

3) When we return to SD after the cruise we plan on spending that night in SD, so we will have 2 days to cram in everything since our flight leaves SD at about 10PM (red eye). Where should we stay after the cruise that would be convenient for sightseeing ? What sights would you recommend? We do like zoos very much, but would hate to spend a full day at the zoo and miss seeing everthing else.

Thanks for your help

If you like shopping, Seaport Village is a nice place to walk around. Also, I would suggest going over to the Gaslamp area to eat. Many restaurants to choose from. Not sure how safe it is, but we walked all around the area. We went to Ralph's grocery store, in the Gaslamp area, and picked up pop and water to take on the ship with us. Stayed at the Holiday Inn on the Bay once, and the other Holiday Inn. Also, there is a nice Mall there for shopping too.

We are also flying into SD a day ahead of our cruise and staying over a day when we get back. I had reservations for 2 downtown hotels (couldn't get the same one for both dates). Then we read about all the noise about the trains and not feeling safe walking around at night and decided to look for something a little quieter and safer.

I finally found a review another cruiser had posted raving about the Best Western Island Palms. It's 5 miles from the pier. It looks like a great place and they have a shuttle service to and from the airport and to and from the pier. I got very good rates through AAA but noticed the AARP rates were the same. We booked a marina view for the first reservation and a bayview for the second reservation.

Is anyone familiar with the taxi fair to Old Towne, Little Italy and the Gaslight district from this hotel? Does anyone have any experience with this hotel? What I've found seems positive but you just never know.

If you like Italian food, I can recommend Medici Restaurant in the Gaslamp district. If you Google "Medici San Diego" you can find it and have a look at the menu.:)

Thanks, Critterchick! We'll check out the menu and add this to our list of restaurants.

we are staying at the Best Western yacht club right by the airport, $71 per night with AAA, also free beakfast and free shuttle to and from the airport/ cruise terminal and other local attractions.

you could also do the trolley that allows you to get on and off at whatever places you would like to stop at, i think it is about $35 Pp for the day and it has different zones i believe, im sorry that i do not know how to post website link.

there is Balboa Park which is home to many museums.

If your from Florida i would skip Sea World and the Zoo. I agree Seaport village is nive to walk around, but the meals are pricey and the shops very touristy.

Little italy for a meal and old town for mexican food are nice, and a drive over the bridge to Coronado island is lovely and a beautiful view of downtown San diego.

We live in San Diego. Have not stayed at Best Western Yacht Club, near Pt Loma. Staying there you would need transportation...car or taxi to at least get you to Old Town. Once at Old Town, you can pay to take the Old Town Trolley around to various tourist sites. For more info, go to

http://www.trolleytours.com/

Have stayed at Holiday Inn Bayside, upper floors,train noise not a problem. Train noise is problem at Marriott and Hyatt.

Location of Holiday Inn Bayside is more convenient to train, trolley, ferry and bus. The trolley, $5 pp day pass, $2.50 one way or $1.25 senior gets you to many tourist sites. For more info, go to http://www.sdmts.com/Trolley/Trolley.asp.

Within walking distance of the Holiday Inn, you can view the harbor and Naval Station North Island (homeport to three carriers), walk to Seaport Village for shopping, eating, entertainment and carriage ride, visit the USS Midway, take a Harbor Boat cruise tour, eat at Anthony's Fish Grotto. Or, take ferry to Coronado Island and get a panoramic view of San Diego skyline, great at sunset, and specialty shopping, eating, walk along the waterway. And, you can bike to Hotel Del Coronado. For more ferry info, go to http://www.sandiego.org/listing/Visitors/1250

Trolley/pedicab to Gaslamp for eating/entertainment. Walking downtown is safer. However I would stay in the Gaslamp/Harbor area. If it's late and you're concerned take the trolley or pedicab. Trolley to Old Town State Historical Park museums and Mexican food. Don't forget the Bazar del Mundo next door! and Little Italy for cappuccino's, Italian dining, music and entertainment.

You mention liking zoo. We have both the World Famous (really!)

San Diego Zoo. From downtown take MTS bus 7 and get off at Zoo.

Once at the zoo, there is a free RED park shuttle trolley that takes you around the park. Also there are many museums. On Tuesdays, the museums rotate there schedule so that some of them are free. If paying for museums, purchase a Balboa Park Passport at the visitor center for discounted access to museums. Also, the visitor center offers free walking tours. And, on Sundays, from 12-4pm the International Houses are open.

Also, you can take the train along the coast and visit Solano Beach or Oceanside.

California Dreamer, I think you are confusing the HI Bayside with the HI on the Bay. The former is WEST of the airport, close to the Submarine Warfare base (actually Loma Portal/Liberty Station area). No train noise there because there is no nearby train. The HI on the Bay is the one across the street from the cruise ship pier and close to the San Diego Trolley (light rail). You pretty much have to have a car or spend a lot on cabs if you want to see anything while staying at the HI Bayside.

The Old Town Trolley Tours (commercial tour) can be caught just south of the cruise ship pier (small kiosk) too, you don't have to go to Old Town to either purchase tickets or get onto the trolley.

Moysha, don't let anyone talk you out of the San Diego Zoo. There is no other Zoo like it, certainly nothing you have in Florida can measure up. I agree about SeaWorld though. If you have seen one, you have seen them all.

We've booked a pre-night at the Sheraton S.D. Hotel & Marina (on Harbor Island Dr.), a special $60 plus points deal. We plan to take the hotel shuttle upon our arrival at the airport, and then a taxi to the ship the next morning. We fly in mid afternoon and will likely just hang out at the hotel and met a family member for dinner. But is this hotel location pretty good as far as proximity to airport and ship? Splinter, your thoughts? Is there a preferred 'tower' we should request at the hotel? Thank you for any assistance!

It is fine if you are just staying the night, but there is nothing to do in that area other that view the harbor (get up REAL early to see your ship come into the harbor). The east tower is better than the west one. I can recommend eating at Island Prime, which is just a short walk east on Harbor Island Drive.

We stayed here for 2 days before our cruise and it was wonderful We took the trolly everywhere all the way down to seaport village and toured the uss midway, also ate lunch at one of the restaurants down there...it was the...uh...lol The Fish Market. It was pricey but good...we then went and ate at Joe's Crab Shack which was within walking distance of our hotel.

It is fine if you are just staying the night, but there is nothing to do in that area other that view the harbor (get up REAL early to see your ship come into the harbor). The east tower is better than the west one. I can recommend eating at Island Prime, which is just a short walk east on Harbor Island Drive.

Thank you for your reply and suggestions, Splinter! :)

Archived