MSC DIVINA embarkation in Venice

Lovin-Life

I was wondering if someone could answer a few questions. How do you find where to drop your luggage off before heading over to check in to the ship? I don't want to walk all the way just to walk back. Is there a free shuttle for MSC Divina customers once we walk over from the train station? Is it difficult to get off and on the ship one we check in onboard? Any help would be appreciated.

From the Main Rail station in Venice you come out and turn to the Right and go over the Footbridge to the main Bus station about a Five minute walk, cross to the Multi story car park where there is a Mono rail train that takes you to the station near to the ship. From here the walk is about Three to Five minutes depending on which berth the ship will be in.

You leave luggage with the ships porters and go into the check in area again depending on where the ship is berthed, depending on what time you manage to get onboard and to your cabin you may have a few hours to look around Venice.

Remember that you have to be onboard at least One hour before the ship sails at Embarkation and so getting back off the ship may not be worthwhile.

It will depend as i mentioned in the previous post where the ship is docked, MSC are usually docked on the Left of the mooring basin as you look from the quayside mext to what is a new check in building.

Take a look here and keep a check on the ships webcams each day till you see one in Venice, that will give you some idea of where the ship is likely to be. Just click on the ship name to the left and the webcam picture will come up. From the webcam when in venice there will be a building ahead of the ship and you should be able to see the causeway bringing the road and railway into Venice.

http://kroooz-cams.com/msc_splendida/splendida1.php

Exact explained.

The recommendation: Venice is fantastic if you've never been there.

Come a day earlier.

or:

check-in in the morning to 7/8 clock. Take a taxi to the cruise terminal,

leave luggage, and go for visiting Venice up to 3 clock pm...

It will depend as i mentioned in the previous post where the ship is docked, MSC are usually docked on the Left of the mooring basin as you look from the quayside mext to what is a new check in building.

Take a look here and keep a check on the ships webcams each day till you see one in Venice, that will give you some idea of where the ship is likely to be. Just click on the ship name to the left and the webcam picture will come up. From the webcam when in venice there will be a building ahead of the ship and you should be able to see the causeway bringing the road and railway into Venice.

http://kroooz-cams.com/msc_splendida/splendida1.php

Here is a bird's eye view of where Divina is usually docked, taken before the people mover had been built, so i've put in a rough position for the PM station

and a picture of her docked taken from the airport waterbus

DIVINADOCK.jpg

P1010714.jpg

Pete

Pete ... being cheeky here but you missed off the start point for the people mover at the bus station .... :D

seeing as you rubbed the lamp three rimes, then your wish is my command.

One people mover terminus coming up

DIVINADOCK-1.jpg

Thank you for the map it is a big help since we will be coming in by train from Bologna around 11:30 and our Cruise boarding time isn't until 1330. We will probably drop the luggage off and go walk around for awhile.

• 1 month later...

We're staying in Venice for one night before boarding the ship (right where the 'a' from 'Rio Tera San Andrea is located, next to the bus station).

So if I have it correct, in order to get to the cruise ship, we have to:

• pass the bus station (not actually get on a bus),
  • walk about 5 minutes to where it says "People Mover station about here",
  • from there, take a monorail to the pier from
  • walk a couple of minutes to the ship

Is that correct?

We're staying in Venice for one night before boarding the ship (right where the 'a' from 'Rio Tera San Andrea is located, next to the bus station).

So if I have it correct, in order to get to the cruise ship, we have to:

• pass the bus station (not actually get on a bus),
  • walk about 5 minutes to where it says "People Mover station about here",
  • from there, take a monorail to the pier from
  • walk a couple of minutes to the ship

Is that correct?

Not quite right

1) get on the people mover at the "People mover Terminus"

2) Take the mono rail 1 stop to to where it says "People mover staion about here" and get off

3) walk a couple of minutes to the the building next to the ship where you check-in

Pete

Great info so far. The only thing I have to add is to note that you will be negotiating steps, not a ramp, from the train station. Check out the port guides that Tom has for free online for step by step info on Venice and other ports.

Edited by Jazmyn49

Thanks Pete, this is why I love Cruise Critic. Information like this gives me confidence when hearding our little group up when we arrive in Venice. Cheers

• 1 month later...
Not quite right

1) get on the people mover at the "People mover Terminus"

2) Take the mono rail 1 stop to to where it says "People mover staion about here" and get off

3) walk a couple of minutes to the the building next to the ship where you check-in

Pete

This is great info - thanks! However when I look at pictures of where you get off the People Mover in the cruise ship marina area, it does not look at all pedestrian friendly. Looks like a lot of confusing roads. Are there signs pointing you to your cruise ship, and how long a walk might it be (we will be on Norwegian Spirit in October)? DH has mild mobility issues and wondering if we should take a taxi from Piazzale Roma to the cruise terminal, especially when we are getting our luggage over there. Any advice? Thanks, folks -

This is great info - thanks! However when I look at pictures of where you get off the People Mover in the cruise ship marina area, it does not look at all pedestrian friendly. Looks like a lot of confusing roads. Are there signs pointing you to your cruise ship, and how long a walk might it be (we will be on Norwegian Spirit in October)? DH has mild mobility issues and wondering if we should take a taxi from Piazzale Roma to the cruise terminal, especially when we are getting our luggage over there. Any advice? Thanks, folks -

The image of the people mover ( from google earch was taken during the construction phase and isn't a true reflection of what is there now.

The people Mover is in an elevated position so there are stairs and lifts at the relevant stops. Queues for the lifts can be very long. the walk at the dockside is a least 400 yards to the lugage drop off points and often more than that. Having dropped off your luggage thee could be another 400 yards to the ship, none of which was very well sign-posted when we were there.

If you are comung in to Marco Polo airport on emarkation day a taxi from the airport to the docks is around 45 - 50 euros and would probably be your best bet.

Other than that I'd opt for the taxi from the bus station to the terminal, especially if it is a hot summer's day.

It's not all that pedestrian-friendly from the train station to the ship, even by people-mover. Now that I know where I'm going, I've found it just as easy to skip the people-mover and walk past the parking garage and down the ramp into the port.

If there are mobility issues, you might consider getting off the train in Mestre and taking a taxi the rest of the way. The port entrance is actually at the end of the causeway. Also, the terminus for the airport bus is next to the station.

• 3 months later...
It's not all that pedestrian-friendly from the train station to the ship, even by people-mover. Now that I know where I'm going, I've found it just as easy to skip the people-mover and walk past the parking garage and down the ramp into the port.

If there are mobility issues, you might consider getting off the train in Mestre and taking a taxi the rest of the way. The port entrance is actually at the end of the causeway. Also, the terminus for the airport bus is next to the station.

The distance from p. Roma to the terminal looks short on a map, but everyone is recommending the people mover. Are there terrain issues that I don't see? Lack of sidewalks?

Wondering if it will be easier to use people mover or to walk, both before and after our cruise. We are a family of 5 and will probably have 3 large rolling suitcases. Stairs and waiting for lifts (and tiny lifts) would be a problem. Walking for some distance on a relatively flat surface would not. I have also heard that there can be long lines to get on the People mover on disembarkation day.

I know this thread is a little old, but does anyone have more experiences to share on walking from P. Roma to cruise terminal and back?

The last time we were there on a ship call you had to walk uphill away from Piazale Roma and up the main roadway (shown on Petes map) past the main multi story car park, you follow the road which goes over one of the canals and then turn Left (where it says venice Itlay on the map) and head downhill into the port.

You head to the Big Roundabout (shown on the map) and go Left there for the ships, it is quite a walk and is about a minimum of 20 minutes without luggage and 30 plus with it. One reason the people mover was introduced.

Since our last visit there may now be a shorter route hopefully someone might be able to let us know.

Edited by sidari

• 5 weeks later...

Here's where I got that from. Apparently 2014 cruises should still be fine, for 2015 there will most likely be changes.

http://travel.yahoo.com/blogs/compass/cruise-lines-planning-changes-venice-announces-ban-large-000045111.html

And of course, it's also reported by CC itself: http://www.cruisecritic.com/blog/index.php/2013/11/08/readers-respond-venice-bans-largest-cruise-ships/

Just a heads-up: big Cruise ships, like the Divina, won't be allowed anymore from (I think end of) 2014 at that terminal. The ships will probably dock at another terminal in Venice.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk

Just a heads-up: big Cruise ships, like the Divina, won't be allowed anymore from (I think end of) 2014 at that terminal. The ships will probably dock at another terminal in Venice.

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Tapatalk

The ships will still use the same termnal just go in via a new route

From the BBC

The Italian government has announced it will begin to limit the number of large cruise ships that pass through Venice.

Environmentalists have protested against the ships in recent years, saying they damage the city's fragile lagoon.

From January 2014, the number of cruise ships allowed through Venice will be cut by 20%.

Ships of more than 96,000 tonnes will be banned from the centre of the city from November next year.

Prime Minister Enrico Letta's office also announced plans to open up a new canal route to the city - thereby allowing big vessels to enter the city by a kind of back door, the BBC's Alan Johnston reports from Rome.

The measures were announced after a meeting between Mr Letta, the mayor of Venice and other local politicians on Tuesday.

A spokesman for those who have protested against the ships told Italian media that the measures constitute a first step and that their campaign will go on.

Concerns over big ships sailing too close to shorelines have increased since the Costa Concordia cruise liner ran aground off a Tuscan island in January 2012, killing 32 people.

Those who oppose the ships argue that they are grotesquely out of keeping with the beautiful old city and that they disgorge unsustainable numbers of visitors into the squares and alleyways, our correspondent reports.

But there is also a powerful lobby in Venice that favours the cruise ship trade and welcomes the economic benefits it brings, he adds.

Pete

Edited by Skier52