Celebrity Currency Conversion Program

SalSandy

Can someone help explain these options on the express pass?

I have a credit card that uses USD.

Currency Convention Authorization(Please check one of the following options.)

A. I choose to pay my onboard charges in the currency of my card. I.e.: I choose to use Celebrity Cruises currency conversion program. (See terms below.)

This currency conversion transaction is based on wholesale exchange rates collected from Bloomberg plus a 3 percent international currency conversion fee. My choice to have charges billed in the currency of my card is final. I accept that the exchange rate used will be the rate in effect at the time the amounts are charged to my card without further consultation.

B. I choose to have my credit card issuer convert my onboard charges to the currency of my card in lieu of participating in the Celebrity Cruises currency program. (See information below.)

If I opt for my charges to be converted by my credit card issuer, or if my card is not billed in one of the billing currencies listed, my charges will be processed in the onboard currency (USD) and the issuer of my card may charge a service fee for currency conversion.

ALWAYS allow your credit card to make the currency conversion. I've not seen any credit card which charges more than 3% for the conversion, and most are at 1 or 2% (Capital One cards have no currency conversion fee). Check with your credit card company, but most travel advocates advise against allowing shops, hotels (and now cruise lines) from doing the conversion for you. You pay for it... big time.

Unless I'm wrong, why are you even worrying about this currency conversion thing? Celebrity does everything in US dollars, and the only passengers that have to worry about currency conversions are those who's credit cards are in foreign currency, i.e. passengers from non-US countries. Since you're from the US, and your credit card uses US dollars, you don't have to worry about anything---you don't need currency converted. If you were from the UK, and your credit card is in British Pounds, that's when currency conversion is used, converting Celebrity's charges that are in US dollars, to the British Pound.

Archived