Planning two weeks in Provence...

-Lew-

We're planning a pre-cruise land trip in France for June 2011. Our plans are to fly into Paris, spend a week there, and then take the TGV to Aix-en-Provence where we plan to be for two weeks.

My questions:

• Is Aix-en-Provence a good base of operation for taking day trips around Provence.

• Since we're planning to be there two weeks, we thought renting an apartment would be a good idea. Prices seem pretty reasonable. Any thoughts? Have you used an rental agency you can recommend?

Any recommendations for hotels in Paris and apartments in Aix would be greatly appreciated. Any and all suggestions on any facet of this trip are welcome.

Thanks...

Lew

Lew, You are making a wise decision. We love this part of France and its a terrific place for a long stay. Last year we faced the same issue as to where to base our operations. We debated between Aix and St Remy and finally decided on the latter because we prefer the further western base. We rented an apartment in St Remy (for two weeks) that was part of an old villa (it is right in town only 3 blocks from the square) and is owned by an Irish lady who lives in Shannon. Every morning I would walk down the street to a local boulangerie and buy some fresh croissants and/or pastries. Everyday was fun and we really enjoyed going to a lot of the local markets and also made a few trips North into the Rhone wine country. We found this place on the internet and it was listed on Homeaway.com which is a very reputable rental site.

As to Paris, we do love a particular hotel in the 5th (Latin Quarter) called the Hotel Des Grandes Ecoles. The one downside of this hotel is that it does not have A/C, but is in a wonderful neighborhood away from the main tourist places.

Hank

I haven't been to the western part of Provence, but have been on the other side. We were based in Fayence (near perfume town Grasse) area, which was a very very nice area, a little quiet, but you'll love it. Fayence is where Four Seasons Hotel Provence is located. Stationing there has an advantage that all places to explore ie St Tropez, Nice, Monte Carlo, Grasse, St Paul de Vence, are all within 1 - 1 1/2 hours away. You can also do a day trip in Gorge du Verdon, Grand Canyon of France. We stayed www.camandoule.com and www.auberge-adrets.com before. The former is also a restaurant. The latter is a boutique hotel.

Seconding the idea of staying a little further west, perhaps near St. Remy. The St. Remy area is beautiful itself, and is positioned much better for visiting Arles, Avignon, Les Baux, and many of the small Provencal towns. Nice, St. Tropez, etc., have their own charms, but are a part of the Cote d'Azur, not Provence. If your cruise stops in southern France, you'll likely be able to visit the coastal towns, and perhaps even Aix, while your ship is in port.

We're planning a pre-cruise land trip in France for June 2011. Our plans are to fly into Paris, spend a week there, and then take the TGV to Aix-en-Provence where we plan to be for two weeks. My questions:

* Is Aix-en-Provence a good base of operation for taking day trips around Provence.

* Since we're planning to be there two weeks, we thought renting an apartment would be a good idea. Prices seem pretty reasonable. Any thoughts? Have you used an rental agency you can recommend?

Any recommendations for hotels in Paris and apartments in Aix would be greatly appreciated. Any and all suggestions on any facet of this trip are welcome. Thanks... Lew

Hi, Lew! You've got lots of good suggestions. Here are some more options to consider. For where to stay, we have used this below website for apartments in Paris and other parts of France. They have lots of options, many with great charm and character. Check out the pictures and get a good location that is handy to the best places in both Paris and Provence. It's nice to have that added room, allowing eating in at times.

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/europe

I would "third" the suggestion of a more western location as a better place for your "base". Maybe in or around Avignon, St. Remy, etc.

Below are some visual "samples" for some great options in Provence.

Why do people love Provence? It is a region having a love affair with the land, earth and environment. The landscape is lush and verdant. Open-air markets have baskets of fresh herbs, fruits, flowers, fabrics, etc. The colorful spirit of the Mediterranean fills the air. Provence is nature at its purest. The sky is a piercing shade of blue. Fields are abundant and the air is clear. The climate ensures that spring, summer and fall yield magnificent and varied harvests. Throughout France, Provence is known for the best of everything natural. People in the area take great pride in these natural traditions for what they grow and how it is prepared in each village and every kitchen.

Here's a good "balancing suggestion" for saving your dining budget. Grab your lunch at one of the many bakeries/boulangerie/patisserie shops. Most are very cute and wonderful. Great breads! Get a sandwich, pastry, drink. Maybe some cheese. Other nice fresh things. Maybe spend only $4-5-6 a person. Eat in a park area or bench in Paris or the country side. Like a little picnic! Saves money and time during a busy day. Allows a little more budget for dinner in the evening.

Are you going to do any day-trips from your Paris base? Need suggestions that way?

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here’s a sampling of the fun at a market day in Provence:

ProvMarketShopping.jpg

ProvenceFlowerMarket.jpg

Here we are walking in Nimes towards its Roman arena. There are nearby historic temple and aqueduct structures that are among the best-preserved in all of the former empire. Cars are banished from the compact old city dotted with other ruins, enhancing the feel of yesteryear. The Maison Carre is an almost impossibly pristine Roman temple in Nimes.:

ProvenceArenaWalk.jpg

In the heart of Provence, this is the famed Roman-built Pont du Gard. It's an amazing engineer accomplishment:

ProvPontGardWide.jpg

Les Baux is historically great and interesting, plus it has this wonderful dining palace right nearby at L'Oustau de Beaumaniere. This is the outside of its building and also how they prepared our seafood dining delight in a pastry shaped fish. Cute food and very good, too!

ProvenceLeBeauxDinning.jpg

ProvenceLeBauxMeal.jpg

We found this place on the internet and it was listed on Homeaway.com which is a very reputable rental site.

As to Paris, we do love a particular hotel in the 5th (Latin Quarter) called the Hotel Des Grandes Ecoles. The one downside of this hotel is that it does not have A/C, but is in a wonderful neighborhood away from the main tourist places.

Hank,

I was hope you would see my post as I value your advice.

As suggested, I checked out Homeaway.com and found some very good prospects. I will take your and others advice and consider a more westerly base of operations.

My daughter and her husband stayed in the Latin Quarter in July and loved it and we are planning to do the same. I checked out Hôtel des Grandes Ecoles and it looks ideal. Don't know whether I can live without a/c though...I'm a bit spoiled.

I haven't been to the western part of Provence, but have been on the other side. We were based in Fayence (near perfume town Grasse) area, which was a very very nice area, a little quiet, but you'll love it. Fayence is where Four Seasons Hotel Provence is located. Stationing there has an advantage that all places to explore ie St Tropez, Nice, Monte Carlo, Grasse, St Paul de Vence, are all within 1 - 1 1/2 hours away.

We had an opportunity last fall to visit Cannes, Nice, Monte Carlo and Eze on a private excursion while on a cruise. We'll be calling on Cannes again this October and plan to visit Saint Paul de Vence.

I would like to visit St. Tropez in June as I have never been there. Also, I wouldn't mind spending a day in Nice.

Thank you for your suggestions...

Seconding the idea of staying a little further west, perhaps near St. Remy. The St. Remy area is beautiful itself, and is positioned much better for visiting Arles, Avignon, Les Baux, and many of the small Provencal towns. Nice, St. Tropez, etc., have their own charms, but are a part of the Cote d'Azur, not Provence. If your cruise stops in southern France, you'll likely be able to visit the coastal towns, and perhaps even Aix, while your ship is in port.

Points well taken. I will look into staying further west.

As mentioned above, we did visit Côte d'Azur last fall and will again this fall, so we want to concentrate more on seeing sites away from that area.

Here are some more options to consider. For where to stay, we have used this below website for apartments in Paris and other parts of France. They have lots of options, many with great charm and character.

Hi Terry,

Thank you for suggesting the web sites. I will definitely follow up on them.

Your "balancing suggestion" is exactly what we do. It's a great way to save...and a lot of fun too.

Yes, I will take you up on any suggestions you may have for day trips while in Paris. We have visited Versailles, but are open to others.

By the way, I lived in Columbus in a previous life...many, many years ago. In fact, our daughter was born there. I'm still a big time Buckeyes fan!

Thanks again to everyone for taking time to respond. I really appreciate it...

Lew

Hi Terry, Thank you for suggesting the web sites. I will definitely follow up on them. Your "balancing suggestion" is exactly what we do. It's a great way to save...and a lot of fun too. Yes, I will take you up on any suggestions you may have for day trips while in Paris. We have visited Versailles, but are open to others. By the way, I lived in Columbus in a previous life...many, many years ago. In fact, our daughter was born there. I'm still a big time Buckeyes fan! Thanks again to everyone for taking time to respond. I really appreciate it... Lew

THANKS, Lew, for the nice comments and to learn of your Columbus/OSU connections!

From Paris, there are some great day-trip options to the Loire Valley, Reims/Champagne Country, Normandy, etc. Below are a few sample visuals. Tell me what and where you'd like more detail. There are also options of other places closer to Paris, such as these options . . . .

GIVERNY is best known as Claude Monet's garden and home, sitting on the "right Bank" of the River Seine. The village lies 80km or 50 miles northwest of Paris on the border between the province of Normandy and the Île-de-France. Claude Monet noticed the village of Giverny while looking out the train window. He moved there, renting a house and in 1890, he saved enough money to buy the house and land. He created the spectacular gardens he wanted to paint. Some of his most famous paintings, such as his water lily and Japanese bridge paintings, were of his garden in Giverny. This pond and bridge are actually separated by a roadway between this scenic feature and the main house/gardens. There is an under the road connector linking these two parts of this wonderful site. Monet lived in Giverny from 1883 until his death in 1926. He is buried in the village cemetery. Monet's house and gardens were opened to public visit in 1980 It is open April 1-October 31, Tuesday through Sunday, closed on Monday. You reach Giverney by taking the train from to Vernon. You can get more info about this area and its options from http://www.giverny.org. As per http://www.raileurope.com, two of the best rail connections to Vernon (Giverney's nearby town) are from St Lazare station at 8:20 am or 12:20 pm arriving in 46 minutes. There are some other rail options, but they would involve changing trains at Mantes and this would take more time in getting to Vernon/Giverney.

South of Paris grand palaces and gardens:

FONTAINEBLEAU is one of the largest French royal chateaus. It is located 34.5 miles south of Paris. The palace is the work of many French monarchs, building on an early 16th century structure of Francis I. The building is arranged around a series of courtyards. The city of Fontainebleau has grown up around the remainder of the Forest of Fontainebleau, a former royal hunting park. Emperor Napoleon Bonaparte, began to transform Fontainebleau into a symbol of his grandeur, as an alternative to empty Versailles, with its Bourbon connotations. Napoleon hosted Pope Pius VII there in 1804, when he came to consecrate the emperor, and again in 1812–1814, when he was Napoleon's prisoner. With modifications of the château's structure, including the cobblestone entrance wide enough for his carriage, Napoleon helped make the château the place that visitors see today. At Fontainebleau Napoleon bade farewell to his Old Guard and went into exile in 1814. Fontainebleau was also the setting of the Second Empire court of his nephew Napoleon III. Their website, but only in French:

http://www.musee-chateau-fontainebleau.fr

VAUX-LE-VICOMTE, a baroque French chateau located near Melun, 55 km southeast of Paris, was built from 1658 to 1661 for Nicolas Fouquet, Louis XIV’s finance minister. This grand estate was the most influential work and most elaborate and grand house built in Europe in the mid-17th century. Architect Louis Le Vau and landscape architect André le Nôtre worked together on a large-scale project for the first time. Their collaboration marked the beginning of a new order: the magnificent manner that is associated with the "Louis XIV style" involving a system of collective work, which could be applied to the structure, its interiors and works of art and the creation of an entire landscape. The garden's use of a baroque axis that extends to infinity is an example of this style. The château was lavish, refined, and dazzling to behold, but these characteristics proved tragic to its owner. The King had Fouquet arrested shortly after the famous party on 17 August 1661, with Molière's play 'Les Fâcheux. The celebration had been too impressive and the finance minister's home too luxurious. The King seized Vaux Le Vicomte, had his minster jailed and had its team of artists design what would be a much larger . . . the palace and gardens of Versailles! For more info:

http://www.vaux-le-vicomte.com

LOIRE VALLEY: This is the major chateau and castle country southwest of Paris. It is easy to reach during the a day-trip from Paris taking the quick and comfortable TGV Express train to the Tours suburban station of the St Pierre on the edge of town. Then pick up your reserved rental car. See and enjoy the area. Then drop your car off in the evening, returning back to Paris in only an hour without having to battle the big city traffic. This area peaked in power in the mid 1400's to 1700's period; Joan of Arc helped win battle at Orleans in 1429 that spurred power of French monarch to unify the country and drive out the English.

One of the best chateaus: CHENONCEAU, 14 miles SE of Tours, built starting in 1513, structure stretches across waters of Cher River, early home for King Henri II's mistress; developed later by Catherine de Medici and five successor women associated with royal families, "a romantic pleasure palace", open 9:00-7 pm March 16th to September 15th, closes a little earlier late fall through winter, see first since it is closest to train station, avoid crowds and opens at 9 a.m., has one million visitors a year, and with the exception of Versailles, is the most visited castle in France; lunch or dinner at L'Orangerie on grounds. http://www.chenonceau.com

Reactions? Need more? Burgundy/Beaune to the SE? Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For more details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle Silver Cloud experiences:

In the Loire River valley, here is one chateau with a spectacular garden area and then next is my picture of the area's largest chateau, Chambord:

LoireGardens.jpg

LoireChambord.jpg

In the heart of Reims, this is the main entrance to the famed Cathedral where French Kings were crowned over the centuries:

ReimsCathedral.jpg

In Epernay, this is the statute of Dom Perignon where this Champagne and other Moet products are produced:

DomPerignonStat.jpg

One of the highlights for Normandy is the WWII landing site at Omaha Beach. This site is beautifully maintained and is very moving.:

WWIICemtCrosses.jpg

Monet’s Giverney has the gardens, his house, the pond and the famed bridge that he painted. It is locaed north of Paris near the town of Vernon.:

GivrHouseSpring.jpg

Lew, You are simply going to love your trip no matter where you stay in the region. Regarding the hotel I mentioned, we also have issues with no AC and tend to only use the place in the spring or fall when we know it will not be too hot. But I do want to recommend something for you to do on Sunday in Provence. You simply must go to L'Isle sur La Sorgue in the morning (you should get there by 10 at the latest) for their amazing antique, food, fruit, etc etc market. It is arguably one of the best outdoor markets in France and so much fun. Its nice to have a good place to go on Sundays since many things are closed.

Hank

From Paris, there are some great day-trip options to the Loire Valley, Reims/Champagne Country, Normandy, etc. Below are a few sample visuals. Tell me what and where you'd like more detail.

Terry,

Thank you so much for your suggestions. I know we can't see and do everything in one visit to Paris...being a cruise lover has taught me that. However, we may just have to stretch out or Paris stay to 10 days. Bummer...

By the way, your photos are fantastic! Thanks.

You are simply going to love your trip no matter where you stay in the region.

I have a feeling you're right. As with most trips, planning is a big part of the fun.

You simply must go to L'Isle sur La Sorgue in the morning (you should get there by 10 at the latest) for their amazing antique, food, fruit, etc etc market. It is arguably one of the best outdoor markets in France and so much fun.
Will do! I've made a note of that.

Thanks again, Terry and Hank. Your suggestions and tips will add greatly to our enjoyment on this trip.

Lew

If you stay near Avignon I highly recommend that you check out:

http://www.avignon-wine-tour.com/English/indexang.html

In April we did tour #2, the Luberon. It was the best tour that we've ever taken. The wine tastings were excellent but it was as much a sightseeing tour as a wine tasting. It was 75euro for the day, lunch additional. It is operated by an individual, Francois, and will have a maximum of six people on it. We want to go back so that we can take some of the other tours.

Terry, Thank you so much for your suggestions. I know we can't see and do everything in one visit to Paris...being a cruise lover has taught me that. However, we may just have to stretch out or Paris stay to 10 days. Bummer...

By the way, your photos are fantastic! Thanks. Lew

Keep us posted on what else you need and is of interest for Provence, around Paris, etc. Here are some notes on other options to consider for Provence.

AVIGNON is "one of the great art cities of France". Its old part of town has the Papal Palace, seat of Popes 1309-1377, street musicians perform near palace; art museum in Place du Palais open Wednesday through Monday, population of 87,000, town is on Rhone River. Once the religious, political and financial capital, Avignon is today a cultural capital and plays host annually in July to the largest festival of live theatre in the world. It has some of the best example of Gothic architecture in Europe.

NIMES was settled 121 B.C. and has a population of 140,000. Around the time of Julius Caesar, Nimes was a bustling city on the strategic Via Domitia linking Rome to Iberia/Spain. Nimes's arena, temple and nearby aqueduct are among the best-preserved in all of the former empire. Cars are banished from the compact old city dotted with other ruins, enhancing the feel of yesteryear. The Maison Carre is an almost impossibly pristine Roman temple.

ST. REMY has its Roman ruins, a population of 9000 and is the setting of world-famous literature. Saint-Remy is one of the most representative of Provençal towns and allows the visitor to appreciate the true charm of this oft-celebrated region of the country. It comes as no surprise that Saint Remy, like Cannes or Saint Tropez, is a destination for many well-known personalities. This Gallo-Roman village is on the plains 20 km south of Avignon. Residents more recent than the Romans include Dr. Schweitzer, Dr. Nostradamus and Van Gogh. The picturesque, old village is protected by the circular 14th-century wall which is lined by its protective circle of buildings. Its dolphin fountain is located in the shaded square in front of a 16th century old convent. This is a busy, active village, with a good selection of restaurants and hotels for the traveller. Among the shops are a few with some regional pottery, including some beautiful sunflower plates influenced by Van Gogh. The road between St. Remy and the autoroute (at Cavaillon, 17 km to the east) is a scenic drive out of the past: the road is lined by plane trees .

CHÂTEAUNEUF-DU-PAPE translates as "New Castle of the Pope" and is entwined with papal history. When in 1308, Pope Clement V, former Archbishop of Bordeaux, relocated the papacy to the city of Avignon, future "Avignon Popes" did much to promote wine growing, especially the viticulture in the 5–10 km north of Avignon area close to the banks of the Rhône River. The blend is usually predominantly Grenache for this area. Wine critic Robert M. Parker, Jr. has promoted the wines of Châteauneuf and helped inflate their populartiry and price. A 2007 New York Times story noted: “A good Châteauneuf-du-Pape is first and foremost a wine-lover's wine. Other wines can give you gloss and symmetry, the sort of good looks that are obvious even if you aren't much of a wine drinker. But Châteauneuf does not lend itself to smoothness and polish.”

THANKS for the nice comments on the pictures! Lots more, if needed, to share. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

If you stay near Avignon...

You're reading my mind. Upon the advice above, we're setting our sights further west. Avignon is now under consideration.

Keep us posted on what else you need and is of interest for Provence, around Paris, etc.

Will do...thanks for the offer as well as the copious information you have posted.

Lew

• 2 weeks later...

We rented an apartment in St Remy (for two weeks) that was part of an old villa (it is right in town only 3 blocks from the square) and is owned by an Irish lady who lives in Shannon.

Hank,

Hope you catch this message...

We're now actively looking in Saint Remy De Provence. I came across this rental and wonder if it's the one you rented as its owner lives in Ireland.

Lew

Hank, Hope you catch this message... We're now actively looking in Saint Remy De Provence. I came across this rental and wonder if it's the one you rented as its owner lives in Ireland. Lew

Hi, Lew! I'm not Hank and haven't stayed here. We've had good luck with using VRBO.com many times. One of their major pluses is that they'll have pictures, maps, etc., on most of their potential places. The great news is that this places in Saint Remy. Great town!!!! BUT, it is a newer place somewhat to the west of the main, more historic and charming part of this town. There are pro's to newer places, but in most case they lack that "more interesting" feel you get in an older place more in the heart of the best areas for walking and experiencing the greatness of Saint Remy. That's my "two cents" worth.

That's my "two cents" worth.

Hi Terry,

Good to hear from you...and your input is worth much more than 2¢! Having never been there, that's the kind of information I need to know.

Gotta' keep searching...

Lew

Hi Terry, Good to hear from you...and your input is worth much more than 2¢! Having never been there, that's the kind of information I need to know. Gotta' keep searching... Lew

THANKS, Lew, I'm sure the check for two cents is in the mail right now! Don't give up on this one location. Maybe it's the best available. There are lots factors to consider on what works best for you. With today's web technology, it is much easier to look, check, etc. I've used Google.com web mapping features and street views to get a better sense of the "neighborhood". Bing can be good, too, especially with their 3-D visual system, when and if they have views in that area. Keep plugging! It makes a difference. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Hank,

Hope you catch this message...

We're now actively looking in Saint Remy De Provence. I came across this rental and wonder if it's the one you rented as its owner lives in Ireland.

Lew

Did finally catch your message, but alas, the apartment you found is not the one we used. You can see the place we had at

http://www.vrbo.com/79367

I know this is off-topic for CC but we hope the mod is nice :) As to the apartment we rented, it is a really nice place for one-bedroom use. Irene advertises it as having a 2nd BR but that room is more like a large walk-in closest (with window) and had too very small twin-type beds. That 2nd room would be fine for one person or perhaps 2 kids, but it is really small!

If you get to a point where you are really considering a place we will have to get together (on line) and we can give you even more details. Also keep in mind that the owner is Irish and was always very responsive to my questions via e-mail.

Hank

I can't help you with an apartment in Provence, but my daughters and I stayed in an apartment in Paris for 3 nights in June. I rented it from Vacation in Paris, and the company couldn't have been easier to deal with: http://www.vacationinparis.com/ We stayed in a studio in the 2nd arrondissement - #38 Louvre Loft. It was off of the market street Rue Montorgueil (similar to Rue Cler and Rue Mouffetard), and we felt more like locals than tourists!

**I just wanted to add that I chose an apartment with AC. We were there June 17-19 - and it was a bit chilly in Paris. It was much warmer when we went to London on June 20th, and I assume it was warmer in Paris, too!

Did finally catch your message, but alas, the apartment you found is not the one we used. You can see the place we had at http://www.vrbo.com/79367

That's a coincidence because the two we are considering are both part of the Villa Nova complex. The one we really like doesn't have A/C and we're kind of concerned about that since we're planning to be there June 18 - July 2.

If you get to a point where you are really considering a place we will have to get together (on line) and we can give you even more details.
Yes, I would enjoy that.

Thanks again for your insight...

Lew

I can't help you with an apartment in Provence, but my daughters and I stayed in an apartment in Paris for 3 nights in June.

Thank you, Nancy...

I've been so caught up with the booking in Provence that I've kinda' put the Paris portion on hold until I confirm something in St. Remy. I'm thinking, perhaps wrongly, that booking an apartment in Paris will be a bit easier.

Lew

That's a coincidence because the two we are considering are both part of the Villa Nova complex. The one we really like doesn't have A/C and we're kind of concerned about that since we're planning to be there June 18 - July 2.

Yes, I would enjoy that.

Thanks again for your insight...

Lew

The Villa Nova complex is quite interesting. It is actually in town (about 4 blocks from the center) and is a gated and walled compound that used to be a villa. The actual Villa building (we think its 18th century) is now divided into 4 apartments and we think the only one for rent is Irene's. The developers then built additional buildings all over the villa grounds and these rent for somewhat lower prices and have various layouts. We met one of the residents (she was from England) who loved living in the place. The grounds have an electronically activated gate with a nice secure parking area inside the walls. From our point of view the location was absolutely perfect because you can go an hour in any direction and have so much to see and do. One thing we really liked was if we walked down the street (towards the square) there was a boulangerie about 2 blocks away where we could buy fresh croissants, pastries, bread, etc 6 days a week. Simply heaven. And I got to live-out one of my fantasies which was to walk down the street with a loaf of bread under my arm :)

Hank

From our point of view the location was absolutely perfect because you can go an hour in any direction and have so much to see and do. One thing we really liked was if we walked down the street (towards the square) there was a boulangerie about 2 blocks away where we could buy fresh croissants, pastries, bread, etc 6 days a week. Simply heaven. And I got to live-out one of my fantasies which was to walk down the street with a loaf of bread under my arm :) Hank

Agree strongly with Hank on Saint Remy being a great, central location as a "base" in exploring so much in and around Provence. Also, having a great bakery nearby is wonderful. I have made these suggestions to many people:

Grab your breakfast or lunch at one of the many bakeries/boulangerie/patisserie shops. Most are very cute and wonderful. Great breads! Get a sandwich, pastry, drink. Maybe some cheese. Other nice fresh things. Maybe spend only $4-5-6 a person. Eat in a park area or bench. Like a little picnic! Saves money and time during a busy day. Allows a little more budget for dinner in the evening.

Assuming you're not looking for the high-end, pricy places, the great news is that most any place will be very good to great to excellent. It's hard to have a bad meal in France!! The secret is to do some asking where you are staying and/or of others you meet there for their local suggestions. Then apply the eyeball test! If it looks touristy and the people sitting there (or the staff) are bored and uninterested, then that place probably should be avoided. If it looks like there are locals there and/or they are enjoying it, then it will probably be very good. Or maybe even better!

I'm thrilled to have stumbled upon this thread!

You all have so much knowledge of the Region and are very kind to share!

We're in a tighter bind, as we only have 5-6 days in France before catching the NCL Epic in Barcelona next Fall.

One of the "mandatory" things we are doing is visiting Avignon.

I've enjoyed very much the pictures and info about Provence, and understand I am merely setting myself up for a return visit someday soon! :D

The plan on paper looks like this right now: Arrive Paris on Sunday morning and get settled in. Tour Paris all day Monday, possible visit to Disneyland Paris on Tuesday, Paris again on Wednesday, Early train to Avignon on Thursday, train back to CDG for flight to Barcelona on Friday. Any thoughts?

I know I'm asking alot, but it's better than not having a plan I guess! :o

I'm still working on the accomodations in Paris, but can anyone recommend a place to stay overnight in Avignon?

Thanks again for the great info!!!

Archived