AI's or beaches w/bars in walking distance from International Pier? / Carseat issue

Aurianna

Hi all! First post.

I've done some searches on the forums but haven't found the exact answers I'm looking for.

We hit Cozumel next week and had been tentatively planning on going to Mr. Sancho's.

But in our party of 8 is two toddlers and their mom has just told us that she does not want them to ride in taxi's without car seats. Nor will she bring their car seats from home as they are already traveling with a lot of things. This is her prerogative and I will not be pressing either of those issues with her.

However this leaves me wondering how we'll actually get to go anywhere.

I'm having trouble pulling up ports and resorts on google maps/map quest to get an idea of how close/far things really are.

We will be arriving on Oasis of the Seas (RC) so I assume that's International Pier.

We'd really like an AI. But if there's a nice beach that has a bar with drinks that are well made and not totally overpriced that's nearby, then I'd be grateful to hear about it.

Or if anyone knows of a good way to navigate the car seat issue. I honestly don't know if she'd be comfortable renting seats or not.

Thanks all!

Edited by Aurianna

Within walking distance of International Pier you have El Cid and Park Royal Hotels, both just a few minutes to the left after exiting the International Pier.

Both offer all inclusive day passes. El Cid also offers other passes for various times of day but we generally just take the cheaper pass of about $20pp with $10 credit back towards food and drink. This pass allows you to use facilities including pool and Wi-Fi. We have been to El Cid a couple of times but we are an older couple just looking for a place to sit for a few hours off the ship. The AI pass to El Cid is more expensive than Park Royal and if I was looking to do AI I think I would choose Park Royal because they have more pools and the facilities look nicer and there is more room. There is a small beach area where little ones could dig at both but the shore line is mostly rocky and is suitable for some snorkeling. Of course you are directly opposite the cruise ships which some people don't like but with young kids it is convenient to be able to walk back easily for naps or lunch after a few hours if you want. if you do a search in the search engine on this board you will find threads and reviews on both.

Honestly, if you go to anything near the port it is going to be really expensive especially if ships are in port that day. The only way to get a good deal on anything is to take a taxi a little ways out of the port area. I would suggest she stay on the ship if she is that worried. She should not ruin the fun for everyone.

Honestly, if you go to anything near the port it is going to be really expensive especially if ships are in port that day. The only way to get a good deal on anything is to take a taxi a little ways out of the port area. I would suggest she stay on the ship if she is that worried. She should not ruin the fun for everyone.

This is simply not true. The OP was looking for AI. An AI day pass to Park Royal cost $40pp when I checked earlier this year. Half price for kids under 12 and free for small kids. This is less than the typical beach bars (Nachi/Mr Sanchos) and requires no taxi fare from International.

Whether it has all the other requirements of the rest of the group is another matter. There are several pools but no water inflatables/jet skis etc.

Thanks for the suggestions!

We're definitely considering Park Royal.

I do have some concerns though:

1. I read that there are lots of stairs to get down to the resort area and no elevator? We'll have strollers and such.

2. Kids under 12 are half price... but would the toddlers be free? $20 a piece for two 18-month year olds strikes me as a huge waste since they probably won't eat anything. I know at Mr. Sancho's kids under 4 are free.

3. The grounds look very pretty and the beach looks nicer than El Cid's... but maaaan. I so wanted to walk along a long, sandy, beach at some point. But I'm guessing that just isn't plausible though unless we feel like walking for miles or ditching the rest of our party.

Staying by port definitely is not my first choice. But because of family dynamics this is how it's going to be unless my husband and I decide to split off from the rest of the fam.

We are also considering hanging out on a free beach in the morning and then just my husband and I taking a taxi elsewhere in the afternoon. Would anyone have any suggestions as to where to go for THAT? Does not need to be AI.

I think we'll pretty much decide when we get there: Park Royal or just wander around with the stroller until we find something nice.

In either case, I'm glad to have an endorsement. Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestions!

We're definitely considering Park Royal.

I do have some concerns though:

1. I read that there are lots of stairs to get down to the resort area and no elevator? We'll have strollers and such.

2. Kids under 12 are half price... but would the toddlers be free? $20 a piece for two 18-month year olds strikes me as a huge waste since they probably won't eat anything. I know at Mr. Sancho's kids under 4 are free.

3. The grounds look very pretty and the beach looks nicer than El Cid's... but maaaan. I so wanted to walk along a long, sandy, beach at some point. But I'm guessing that just isn't plausible though unless we feel like walking for miles or ditching the rest of our party.

Staying by port definitely is not my first choice. But because of family dynamics this is how it's going to be unless my husband and I decide to split off from the rest of the fam.

We are also considering hanging out on a free beach in the morning and then just my husband and I taking a taxi elsewhere in the afternoon. Would anyone have any suggestions as to where to go for THAT? Does not need to be AI.

I think we'll pretty much decide when we get there: Park Royal or just wander around with the stroller until we find something nice.

In either case, I'm glad to have an endorsement. Thanks!

Here is a recent thread on Park Royal

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2073507

I have only looked round- not stayed for the day- but I don't remember steps, but then I didn't have a stroller at the time, only the tunnel shown in the photos in the above thread.

Kids 4 and under are free when I asked earlier this year, we had a 3 year old with us and were trying to decide where to go.

No long sandy beaches in this area that you can walk to, although there are one or two places you could "camp-out" at for a few hours: hotel Villa Blanca, sunset beach, La Palapita where you would just need to purchase a drink or snack not AI day pass. If you are up to a longer walk AI day pass available at Hotel Cozumel and resort which is also the location for the Salsa Salsa excursion. None of these have "long, sandy beaches" you would need to head south in a taxi for these or to the east side but no swimming there, too rough.

What other facilities are you looking for for your group and how many total in your party?

We are going on a cruise.

We are in Cozumel 8am-7pm (though not sure if that's Cozumel time or ship time)

(Though dinner is 6pm ship time since babies need early)

Party consists of 6 adults and the tots.

Tots parents are going to snorkel somewhere. I have no idea where or when. I just know that the other two adults in our party will have to watch them (grandparents)

Hubby wants fish tacos

I want a beautiful beach and margaritas and piña coladas

Grandparents seem to want to just spend time with us and the tots

Tots' parents will be snorkeling somewhere but seem not to care what else.

ETA: I would love decent, not arm and a leg wireless even for a little while

Edited by Aurianna

Cozumel is a large ROCK island, completely flat, and made of dead coral known as ironshore. The ONLY places you will find long stretches of sandy beaches is going to be the south end of the island. Everywhere else will have a man-made beach or ironshore.

If you want sandy beach... go to a beach club on south end of island. From Playa Mia south you can find them. Mr Sanchos, Paradise Beach, Nachi Kokom, Playa Corona... lots of them.

If you want really good Mexican food, tacos, etc... any of the beach clubs will have it. Food is not an arm and a leg... in fact, it is very reasonable IMHO compared to almost anywhere else a cruise ship visits.

Beer.... locals drink Sol. You can get a bucket of Sol or Corona cheap, a plate of nachos and fish tacos, etc at any place away from the cruise dock for half the price.

El Cid La Ceiba Hotel is right next to Puerta Maya and INternational piers. It has a raised man-made beach. It is clean and walking distance. I have seen it listed on an excursion companies list for AI including beach use and full buffet lunch.

hope this helps...

Thanks all. It sounds like there's no way for all three parties to have their way since we can't to the south side with the babies.

I'm thinking I will float the idea of the el cid $20 (or one of the other suggestions) pass and hang out there with the fam and then later in the day hubby and I will break from the group and hop a cab down south.

Thanks so much for all the info