Abbreviations??

LYNNF

So what about DW and DH?

Dear Wife and Dear Husband? I only see this abbreviation used in here.

You'll also get DD (dear daughter), DS (dear son), and MIL - mother-in-law. Just ask any time - we're all delighted to use some of our knowledge (IMHO). :D

Hi Lynn,

For those who spent time in the military, (doesn't matter what country), the "D" before W, H, S or D means dependent, as in a dependent daughter, wife, son or husband in a military family.

On the CC threads, you will hear a multitude of meanings...dear, darling, and oh, I've seen dopey in some cases.

MIL - Mother in law (change first letter for father, brother, sister etc)

...and then there's all the abbreviations for the ships of the Princess fleet. You'll have to excuse me but I never have figured the rationale for the 2-letter codes for a lot of the vessels. Perhaps someone can list them or give a reference point where they can be found.

These comments you must remember are IMHO only (take your choice of who says what, but I've always used "In my humble opinion."

Ciao for now

While we're at it, what does "pax" mean? :confused:

Pax = Passengers ("x" is often used to denote a plural).

...and then there's all the abbreviations for the ships of the Princess fleet. You'll have to excuse me but I never have figured the rationale for the 2-letter codes for a lot of the vessels. Perhaps someone can list them or give a reference point where they can be found.

There's a few threads that list them--they're almost as inscrutable as airport codes (e.g. why is Vancouver YVR?). Because they only use two letters and every ship has "P" as its second initial, they've had to be creative.

......and every ship has "P" as its second initial, they've had to be creative.

not really...the Tahitian Princess is "TA", not TP as many people assume......Diamond is DI, Ruby is RU, Pacific is PA and Caribbean is CB.

Here 'ya go:

* CB - Caribbean Princess

* CO - Coral Princess

* KP - Crown Princess

* DP - Dawn Princess

* DI - Diamond Princess

* EP - Emerald Princess

* NP - Golden Princess

* AP - Grand Princess

* IP - Island Princess

* PA - Pacific Princess

* GP - Regal Princess

* RU - Ruby Princess

* SA - Sapphire Princess

* CP - Sea Princess

* TP - Star Princess

* SP - Sun Princess

* TA - Tahitian Princess

There's a few threads that list them--they're almost as inscrutable as airport codes (e.g. why is Vancouver YVR?).

Actually, that one is easy- all Canadian airport codes start with a "Y", and "VR" makes sense for Vancouver. What I don't know is why Toronto is "YYZ".

Here 'ya go:

* CO - Coral Princess

* KP - Crown Princess

* DP - Dawn Princess

* DI - Diamond Princess

* EP - Emerald Princess

* NP - Golden Princess

* AP - Grand Princess

* IP - Island Princess

* PA - Pacific Princess

* GP - Regal Princess

* RU - Ruby Princess

* SA - Sapphire Princess

* CP - Sea Princess

* TP - Star Princess

* SP - Sun Princess

* TA - Tahitian Princess

You can also check here http://www.princess.com/learn/ships/ Click or mouse over on a ship and the code will be in the address http://www.princess.com/learn/ships/cb/index.html shows cb for Caribbean Princess and http://www.princess.com/learn/ships/op/index.html OP = Ocean Princess

Airport codes are very interesting as well, I agree, but usually have some sort of reason behind them such as MSY for New Orleans, because it was origianlly Moissaint Field and Hartford CN is BDL for Bradley .....trying to explain this to spouse was difficult as the next question was "Well shouldn't Denver have something to do with the fact that it is Jeppessen Field?"..... and Denver isn't DIA as some assume but DEN(never changed over from the Stapleton days)..........and Spokane is GEG, I have no idea where that comes from but often confuse it with and find it dangerously close to GIG which is Rio de Janeiro...... would hate to make that mistake in booking my air!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone know of a website which "explains" the abbreviations? :confused:

:confused:

Airport codes are very interesting as well, I agree, but usually have some sort of reason behind them such as MSY for New Orleans, because it was origianlly Moissaint Field and Hartford CN is BDL for Bradley .....trying to explain this to spouse was difficult as the next question was "Well shouldn't Denver have something to do with the fact that it is Jeppessen Field?"..... and Denver isn't DIA as some assume but DEN(never changed over from the Stapleton days)..........and Spokane is GEG, I have no idea where that comes from but often confuse it with and find it dangerously close to GIG which is Rio de Janeiro...... would hate to make that mistake in booking my air!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone know of a website which "explains" the abbreviations? :confused:

Here are some explainations.

But is there as list that makes the mnemonics easier to remember and stick in the mind? Like what does the EG in YEG stand for or what does GEG or CVG actually stand for? some of them people easily know if they have lived there ,but others are not easy to remember if you have never lived there............just curious.

It means In My Honest Opinion
You can possibly use it to mean this but it's really "In my humble opinion." While close' date=' it's a different meaning. The abbreviation using "humble" goes back to the very early days of the WWW, the early- to mid-80s.

Because they only use two letters and every ship has "P" as its second initial, they've had to be creative.
Huh? Not true.

You can also check here http://www.princess.com/learn/ships/ Click or mouse over on a ship and the code will be in the address http://www.princess.com/learn/ships/cb/index.html shows cb for Caribbean Princess and http://www.princess.com/learn/ships/op/index.html OP = Ocean Princess
Good explanation. The 2-letter code is the official Princess designation for the ship, not something made up here on CC.

Here 'ya go:

* CO - Coral Princess

* KP - Crown Princess

* DP - Dawn Princess

* DI - Diamond Princess

* EP - Emerald Princess

* NP - Golden Princess

* AP - Grand Princess

* IP - Island Princess

* PA - Pacific Princess

* GP - Regal Princess

* RU - Ruby Princess

* SA - Sapphire Princess

* CP - Sea Princess

* TP - Star Princess

* SP - Sun Princess

* TA - Tahitian Princess

FYI, the Regal Princess hasn't been with Princess for several years. :( And, you didn't include the Royal Princess, which is "RP"; the Tahitian Princess is being renamed the Ocean Princess and her designation is "OP". The Sea Princess is the "CP" because when she was launched, there was already the Sun Princess and "SP" was in use.

But is there as list that makes the mnemonics easier to remember and stick in the mind? Like what does the EG in YEG stand for or what does GEG or CVG actually stand for? some of them people easily know if they have lived there ,but others are not easy to remember if you have never lived there............just curious.

I never knew why Cincinnati was CVG until I actually landed at the airport which is in

CoVinGton Ky.

Orlando is MCO because it was McCoy Field. I just wonder why Fresno changed their

designation from FAT!!!That was always easy to remember.

Mimi

I never knew why Cincinnati was CVG until I actually landed at the airport which is in

CoVinGton Ky.

Orlando is MCO because it was McCoy Field. I just wonder why Fresno changed their

designation from FAT!!!That was always easy to remember.

Mimi

Thanks, that is the stuff I am curious about, call me a triviabuff or what have you,. what does MCI ( Kansas City ).and easliy mistyped as MCO(Orlando) stand for? I was unaware that Fresno is no no longer FAT, another one that kills you is SNA, which is orange county(santa ana ) but also referred to as John Wayne Airport........... easily mistyped as SAN (san diego) eeeeeeesh. ..........

Because they only use two letters and every ship has "P" as its second initial, they've had to be creative.

not really...the Tahitian Princess is "TA", not TP as many people assume......Diamond is DI, Ruby is RU, Pacific is PA and Caribbean is CB.

Huh? Not true.

I think you misread my post :) Every ship does have "P" (for Princess) as its second initial . The codes do have different second letters. That was the point I was (I guess not very clearly) trying to make.

Archived