Contemplating Alaska on Carnival

Megnolia

We're planning an Alaska cruise next summer with my parents (mid-50s). DH and I enjoy Carnival, but have only done Caribbean. My parents liked NCL for the freestyle dining, and have done Alaska with them once before.

Have you done Alaska with Carnival? What were the differences (on board) from a Caribbean cruise? I'm hoping for some more educational things, like an on-board naturalist.

Have you done Alaska on NCL? It seems to cost significantly more than Carnival, and I'm not sure I see it as a step up with their tiny rooms and all the pay restaurants.

That's kind of a vague question, eh? Just basically looking for your Alaska experiences, and wondering if you'd choose Carnival or NCL based on what you've tried in the past. The ships are the CCL Spirit and the NCL Pearl. Itineraries are identical.

Thanks!

2005 I went on NCL Sun to Alaska. The crew was great. The rooms were nice. I went for the views and to see Alaska. Would I do it again on NCL...probably not. The food was terrible. My dd's were 11 & 9 at the time and the kids activites were terrible. My parents went with us (late 60's). They much prefer Carnival to NCL and they have cruise Carnival many times, Disney 3 times & NCL 2 times.

We are going again and we are going on Carnival in 2011.

We're planning an Alaska cruise next summer with my parents (mid-50s). DH and I enjoy Carnival, but have only done Caribbean. My parents liked NCL for the freestyle dining, and have done Alaska with them once before.

Have you done Alaska with Carnival? What were the differences (on board) from a Caribbean cruise? I'm hoping for some more educational things, like an on-board naturalist.

Have you done Alaska on NCL? It seems to cost significantly more than Carnival, and I'm not sure I see it as a step up with their tiny rooms and all the pay restaurants.

That's kind of a vague question, eh? Just basically looking for your Alaska experiences, and wondering if you'd choose Carnival or NCL based on what you've tried in the past. The ships are the CCL Spirit and the NCL Pearl. Itineraries are identical.

Thanks!

Have done Alaska on Carnival twice on the Spirit (great ship btw), the second time was last year. Have not done in or even been on NCL. There are certainly differences between an Alaskan cruise and being in the Carib. First, there will be no steel band playing out on deck during the two sea days. There (by law I think, although I am not certain) they have a non ship person on board who is responsible for several things (at least for CCL). These are to ensure the cruise line conforms to not endangering their state, also to act as a naturist and report (at almost any hour of the day) things of worthwhile nature...such as whale sightings or something of that nature).

Lastly, up until present (for Carnival anyway) all of the cruises to Alaska are one way...either northbound from Vancouver to Anchorage (Whittier) or the reverse. Starting with next years crusies they will be round trip from seattle.

Thank you both!

I'm glad to hear about the naturalist on Carnival - how do they announce things, do they hold talks? Hang out in a particular area, or make announcements on the PA?

The round-trip itinerary is definitely a selling point for us. Should hopefully make airfare a little cheaper.

Jim, I did notice that there were fewer Alaska itineraries all-round next year.

I noticed in your sig in another thread (but didn't want to hijack...although I can probably do it to my own) and meant to ask - how did you enjoy MSC?

This is my opinion based on my cruise and what I have heard from some others.....

Carnival has one ship in the region usually so you won't have a choice of itineraries. It also leaves on Tuesday I believe which can mean basically taking 2 weeks off work since you won't have Saturday and Sunday to travel.

The Freestyle Dining concept has come to Carnival, Princess and some of the other lines with their Anytime Dining so that shouldn't be a factor. We did anytime dining on Princess and it was fine.

Based on my research I liked the Princess product the best and chose it for my Alaska cruise. I am also taking another group on the Diamond Princess next year. Princess had several itineraries to chose from and I preferred that one. They also had onboard naturalists, lots of educational programs about the area, cuisine heavy on regional dishes, Libby Riddles speaking in Juneau and much more. I don't know what Carnival has but I would be sure to research it before making that decision. I know this is a Carnival board but Princess is owned by Carnival. I am pretty much your parents age and I really enjoyed the Princess experience. This is coming from a Platinum Carnival cruiser so you know that I am usually pretty loyal to Carnival.

I have clients on the Pearl this coming week. I will be interested in hearing what they have to say.

Princess is a line I would LOVE to sail. If the price is right, I would definitely go for it. Although when I was looking to book last year and asked about the Vacation Interchange Privileges, the rep on the phone seemed to think I had lost my mind!

I noticed in your sig in another thread (but didn't want to hijack...although I can probably do it to my own) and meant to ask - how did you enjoy MSC?

In a word.....interesting. Nice ship, very European (crew, announcements, and cruisers for the most part). Entertainment was very different as well, not worse but different. It was a good deal, not sure I would go again. I cna pontificate further if you would like.......:D

Princess is a line I would LOVE to sail. If the price is right, I would definitely go for it. Although when I was looking to book last year and asked about the Vacation Interchange Privileges, the rep on the phone seemed to think I had lost my mind!

Love to see a comparison $$/wise between the two.

Thank you both!

I'm glad to hear about the naturalist on Carnival - how do they announce things, do they hold talks? Hang out in a particular area, or make announcements on the PA?

The round-trip itinerary is definitely a selling point for us. Should hopefully make airfare a little cheaper.

They announce over the PA, but not into the rooms. Takes a little getting used to. Would highly recommend an Alaskan cruise.

That is a good point....can you hijack your own thread.......hmmmm

We did a round trip from Vancouver on Carnival. To date, it still ranks as our best cruise. In addition to having a naturlist on board, making announcements and giving talks, when we entered Glacier Bay National Park, 3 park rangers boarded the ship. The rangers spent most of the day on board - talks, displays, lectures etc.

Additionally, one of the ship's pools was covered and heated; and the hot chocolate machines were more popular than the ice cream machines! We plan on doing Alaska again, but next time, instead of the round trip, we want to do the land-sea combo.

We did a round trip from Vancouver on Carnival. To date, it still ranks as our best cruise. In addition to having a naturlist on board, making announcements and giving talks, when we entered Glacier Bay National Park, 3 park rangers boarded the ship. The rangers spent most of the day on board - talks, displays, lectures etc.

Additionally, one of the ship's pools was covered and heated; and the hot chocolate machines were more popular than the ice cream machines! We plan on doing Alaska again, but next time, instead of the round trip, we want to do the land-sea combo.

For the record (at least for my opinion) HAL has the most unique land packages...I know we might be stretching the lines here in a CCL thread but since at least Princess and HAL are owned by CCL it's OK.

Of course I am a die hard Carnival fan. Did roundtrip from Vancouver to Glacier Bay, Juneau, Skagway, Ketchican this past May. First cruise into the area for 2009.

It was AMAZING and I can not wait to return. I booked the trip a year in advance and it took major planning thanks to these boards. We had a fantastic Roll Call and Meet & Greet.

Another fellow cruiser wrote a fantastic review with pictures and posted on the Carnival site. I also have a link to my Alaska pictures (400+) in my signature below.

I flew from Orlando to Seattle via Southwest for $99 one way and returned via redeye on Air Tran for $99. From Seattle we flew into Vancouver roundtrip via Alaska Air for $187 roundtrip.

Alaska vs Caribbean cruise is apples and watermellons! Alaska is all about the beauty of the scenery and wildlife. It was daylight at 5 am until 9:30 pm in May and we were ondeck most of the day. I attended a couple of shows but the night life activity was very laid back compared to a Caribbean cruise.

The hot tubs were busy, as was the gym, and the heated pools.

There is a naturalist on board and announcements are made as well as over the tv in your room.

We did all travel, except for booking the cruise thru Carnival and one excursion thru Carnival, the White Pass RR, on our own and we had a fantastic vacation thanks to all we learned here on the boards.

I set up a 3-ring binder with all my literature and information in it and brought it in my carryon luggage.

We flew into Vancouver the night before the cruise departed, stayed at the Blue Horizon, booked online at a discount. Day of the cruise we took a taxi over to Capilano Suspension bridge, which is awesome, cab ride back to the hotel, which had kept our luggage secure for free and we walked to the cruise terminal from the hotel, a very easy downhill walk. I was traveling with my 80 year old mom and she did great on the walk.

When we returned to Vancouver the following week, we stored our luggage right at the cruise terminal for the day for $15 and we took the Hop on Hop off trolley tour of Vancouver and spent a lot of time in Stanley Park (pics of both) then picked up our luggage at the cruise terminal and had no trouble getting a cab to the airport as they were dropping off departing cruise passengers, it was smooth as a baby's behind!

Red eye coming home was long but we did it because we knew we would be ready to get home and we were.

We had a balcony room, did not spend much time out there, it was too chilly for coffee out there unlike the Caribbean.

Sorry this is all over the place I am at work.

Susan

I just came back from a BTB on Carnival Spirit .I LOVED It

The ship is very nice .comfortable cabins Alaska was great so was Vancouver and Yukon

Loved the places we visited ...check out my review and pictures

We had Fabulous weather the first week I loved the glaciers wildlife mountains nature

Ship had good shows nice ambiance and port stays were long enough for us to do stuff

We went on last boat for whale watching in Juneau came back at 7 ship left at 11 Perfect Had time fro city tour and Mandenhall glacier

You will love Alaska

Michele

woohoo, I went out to do some work in the yard (I'll go back later) and look at all the replies since! You guys are the best!

I have been picking my way through reviews over on the reviews pages, and I will check out all the links here.

The next challenge will be getting DH to come. He's a farmer, so it will be tricky, and may end up as a parents and grown daughters cruise.

I'll be off reading, but keep those great stories coming :)

Jim, I certainly intrigued by your MSC brief recap. I gathered that it might be a little out of my realm.. although I'm an Italian, so a little culture would be good for a brush up :)

Ditto to what sa7776 states above. We're taking Diamond Princess Northbound from Vancouver in two weeks and thanks to a well-timed sale it's actually priced less than Carnival.

Megnolia, none of the operators I spoke with were at all familiar with the Vacation Interchange Program and were totally surprised when I pointed them to the ad in the rear of the brochures. I DID reach two supervisors who were familiar, and (separately) indicated that a Vacation Interchange Rate IS offered on some cruises and that you have to call about the cruise you're interested in and then ASK if the Vacation Interchange Rate is being offered - I've yet to find such!!!!

ken

Thanks!

I'm also planning a trip, Carnival seemed like the best value, me and BFF, her mom and sister (2 cabins, balcony preferably). I've only done fun-in-the-sun cruising, and this is all new to me. I can't imagine a ship without swimming every day. BFF and her mom are somewhat mobility impaired, so we'll want activities on-board and off that don't require too much walking or effort. Still want to have fun, though!

I'm also planning a trip, Carnival seemed like the best value, me and BFF, her mom and sister (2 cabins, balcony preferably). I've only done fun-in-the-sun cruising, and this is all new to me. I can't imagine a ship without swimming every day. BFF and her mom are somewhat mobility impaired, so we'll want activities on-board and off that don't require too much walking or effort. Still want to have fun, though!

Well, maybe we'll book the same week and I'll see you on the roll call!

Archived