Why no Miami to Bermuda sailings?

L0VES2travel

In July my family and I sailed 5 nights on EOS from NJ to Bermuda. We live in Miami and everyone thought we were nuts to fly to NJ to take a cruise since we live 30 mins from both Port of Miami and Port Everglades. We've taken many cruises out of Miami and Ft. Laud, but wanted to see new ports (as most of the RC sailings out of South FL are only to the Eastern and Western Caribbean). We decided we wanted to cruise to Bermuda and found that RC sails out of NJ and Maryland. We didn't mind having to travel to take the cruise, and don't get me wrong I think it's nice to have cruises of out many different ports. But the entire time we were wondering why isn't there any sailing out of Miami or Ft. Laud to Bermuda? There are cruises that start in NJ and sail to Bermuda then to the Eastern Caribbean. So distance doesn't seem to be the reason. My aunt was very curious and asked a few staff members and even a tour guide in Bermuda, but no one seemed to know why. My 13 year old niece was convinced that it was too dangerous because you'd be sailing though the Bermuda triangle. Haha. So, now I'm asking you, why do you think there are no sailing out from Miami to Bermuda?

I think distance may be the reason. Even if the Bermuda cruises go on to the Eastern Caribbean, it may seem more "worth it" to do that than to go from Miami to Bermuda. I really don't know though and I don't know the distances between NJ and Bermuda and Miami and Bermuda. Interesting question.

My 13 year old niece was convinced that it was too dangerous because you'd be sailing though the Bermuda triangle. Haha. So, now I'm asking you, why do you think there are no sailing out from Miami to Bermuda?

Too far to go for just one port call, plus, I don't think that it would be that popular from Miami. Incidentally, every time you leave on a cruise from Miami or Ft. Lauderdale, you go through the Bermuda Triangle!:D

bermuda-triangle.jpg

I think the real question would be if Bermuda wasn't close to the Northeast would it be a popular port destination? The upside of the Caribbean and the Bahamas is that you can hit multiple islands within the same area and minimal sea days, Bermuda is rather out of the way.

distances to Hamilton according timeanddate.com

New York 671 nm

Boston 672 nm

Baltimore 712 nm

Halifax 742 nm

Jacksonville 875 nm

Miami 899 nm

So in Miami, you are much further from Bermuda. considering the extra distance, fewer docks in Bermuda and local demand, don't expect to find major lines sailing from Miami to Bermuda.

In July my family and I sailed 5 nights on EOS from NJ to Bermuda. We live in Miami and everyone thought we were nuts to fly to NJ to take a cruise since we live 30 mins from both Port of Miami and Port Everglades. We've taken many cruises out of Miami and Ft. Laud, but wanted to see new ports (as most of the RC sailings out of South FL are only to the Eastern and Western Caribbean). We decided we wanted to cruise to Bermuda and found that RC sails out of NJ and Maryland. We didn't mind having to travel to take the cruise, and don't get me wrong I think it's nice to have cruises of out many different ports. But the entire time we were wondering why isn't there any sailing out of Miami or Ft. Laud to Bermuda? There are cruises that start in NJ and sail to Bermuda then to the Eastern Caribbean. So distance doesn't seem to be the reason. My aunt was very curious and asked a few staff members and even a tour guide in Bermuda, but no one seemed to know why. My 13 year old niece was convinced that it was too dangerous because you'd be sailing though the Bermuda triangle. Haha. So, now I'm asking you, why do you think there are no sailing out from Miami to Bermuda?

I would sign up in a New York Minute!

It would be especially nice if it were on the Majesty of the Seas (my favorite ship).

I could see several different itinerary options:

10 Night Bermuda Cruise

Miami, FL

Coco Cay, Bahamas

At Sea

At Sea

Bermuda

Bermuda

At Sea

At Sea

Nassau, Bahamas

Key West, Florida

Miami, FL

10 Night Bermuda Cruise

Miami, FL

At Sea

Savannah, Georgia

At Sea

At Sea

Bermuda

Bermuda

At Sea

At Sea

Coco Cay, Bahamas

Miami

14 Night East Coast Bermuda Cruise

Miami, FL

Coco Cay, Bahamas

At Sea

Savannah, Georgia

Charleston, South Carolina

At Sea

At Sea

Bermuda

Bermuda

At Sea

At Sea

Nassau, Bahamas

Freeport, Bahamas

Miami, FL

The biggest reason is the distance involved, it is much more cost effective to sail from the Northeast ports than it is to come from south Florida. Also because it is a shorter distance it gets the ship to Bermuda quicker and allows more time in port and less time enroute. The Cruise lines are not afraid of the Bermuda Triangle, in fact all the cruises through the Bahamas transition it everyday.

Probably the biggest reason is that Bermuda imposes severe limitations on just how many cruise ships and cruise passengers they will accept during the season, and some lines have agreements with the island government which allow them to bring passengers to the island, thus reducing the number of others that can do so. When you then consider the additional fuel costs that any cruiseline would assume to sail the greater distance between Miami and Bermuda instead of closer ports like Boston,NY, Baltimore etc. and the lack of a groundswell of demand for such an itinerary, it may be easier to understand. As long as their ships in the Northeast can meet the demand for cruises to Bermuda there is little or no reason for them to divert those ships to Florida for such an itinerary. In the past there have been a few such sailings from Florida ports to Bermuda but apparently their experience with them didn't create an overwhelmingly positive impression as to the viability of making such trips a regular occurrence.:)

..you let us New Yorkers cruise to Miami instead. I would love to spend time at South Beach!

Cruising from the Northeast to Bermuda is a very old and traditional trip which existed WAY before the cruise industry set up the home ports in South Florida. People like traditions.

I also agree with posters that there are limits to the amount of ship visiting days the Bermudian authorities allow. Kind of like landing and takeoff slots at the airport.

Thanks for all the replies! Love reading all of your answers! Very interesting. I'm starting to think distance is the reason, makes sense after reading a few responses.

jmraggs: So funny, I never realized it! I'll have to let my niece know!

julie91165: Love your itineraries! Would def. be a nice alternative!

Archived