Issue w/Customs returning from Conquest

Will have a trip report later. We returned to Galveston Sunday from the Carnival Conquest 7-day trip. A CLOSED LOOP TRIP!!

DS had his passport; I had DL and Birth certificate. The line was long, even though we did self-assist disembark. (We would have gotten off sooner but DS HAD to have his last b'fast on ship and of course as soon as we got into line they called OUR DECK to disembark FIRST-- but I digress!)

Line moved slowly. When we got up to the counter, DS remarked something like "Finally! It was a long wait!"

The Customs official said "Yeah, it's all the people with the birth certificates holding up the line. They're in non-compliance with the new rules." He was very grim.

Smiling, I whipped out our documents. 'Like mine?" I laughed. He looked up, tore a sheet off a pad, slapped it on the counter and said "Yeah, like you. You're in non-compliance with the new rules. You need a passport as of June 1." Too shocked to speak by his attitude and (what *I* had been told) the wrong statement, I just left it at that. He ran my birth certificate through their computers (took about 5 minutes) and we left.

The paper he gave me had "YOU ARE NON-COMPLIANT WITH BORDER SECURITY" written at the top, and a bunch of other legal stuff on how to get a passport and now one was required.

So---- what gives? What's up with all that? Do they not read their own rules?? I didn't talk to anyone else to see if it happened in their line or not.

another case of bureaucratic B.S.?

I read the passport requirements several times .. its very convuluted.. You need one but you dont need one but you need one..

I dont blame the Customs official for being confused.. they are the 'experts' and they can't get it straight..

There needs to be much simpler language explaining what is needed and where. .. :)

How are you!!

Good thanks:)

Maybe they can have 2 lines.....one for passports and the other for B.C.

They did this on our RCCL cruise back in 2004.....not sure if RCCL still does this.....I will find out next month....

Good thanks:)

Maybe they can have 2 lines.....one for passports and the other for B.C.

They did this on our RCCL cruise back in 2004.....not sure if RCCL still does this.....I will find out next month....

you mean one for passports and one for non-compliant cruisers...

LOL!

This is taken straight from Carnival web site.

When I cruise in Dec. a birth cert. and DL is all we will have.

PASSPORT UPDATE:

CRUISE TRAVEL

Carnival Cruise Lines strongly recommends all of our guests travel with a valid passport. However, as of June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens embarking on a cruise that both originates and terminates at the same U.S. port are not required to have a passport, but will need proof of citizenship such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate, a certificate of naturalization, a passport card, an enhanced driver’s license (EDL) as well as a government-issued photo ID. Children are also required to bring proof of citizenship, and if 16 and over, a photo ID is also required.

U.S. citizens calling on ports in Honduras, Panama, Costa Rica and Belize will also be exempt from the passport requirement.

Canadian and Bermudian citizens are required to have a passport for air, land and sea travel, including all Carnival cruises.

If a cruise begins and ends in different U.S. ports, or begins and ends in a foreign port (such as our Alaska cruises and Hawaii cruises) a valid passport or other recognized WHTI-compliant document is required. A valid passport is required if you are traveling on any of our Europe cruises.

Although a passport is not required for U.S. citizens taking cruises that both originate and terminate at the same U.S. port, we, again, strongly recommend all guests travel with a passport (valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel). Having a passport will enable guests to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port in the event they miss their scheduled embarkation or to fly back to the U.S. if they need to disembark the ship mid-cruise due to an emergency.

ALL guests need proper proof of citizenship in order to travel and failure to present a valid document at check in will result in denied boarding and no refund will be issued.

For more information, a complete list of WHTI-compliant documents or to obtain a passport application, visit www.travel.state.gov.

U.S. Alien Residents need a valid Alien Resident Card, Non-U.S. citizens need a valid passport and a valid, unexpired U.S. Multiple Re-entry Visa, if applicable.

This is still posted on the WHTI Website - seems to be under requirements it is listed under special groups. My guess is what is throwing some people is the comment as of June 1 all persons would need a WHTI compliant form of identification. (This would include the passport card, enchanced drivers license, Nexus or Sentri cards).

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

I would think by now Carnival would have figured it out by now, do not tell people that if you do "this", you do not need a Passport. It is obvious that you now need a Passport if you do "this". Are they not in touch with those that know something about Passport rules?

This is taken straight from Carnival web site.

When I cruise in Dec. a birth cert. and DL is all we will have.

PASSPORT UPDATE:

CRUISE TRAVEL

Carnival Cruise Lines strongly recommends all of our guests travel with a valid passport. However, as of June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens embarking on a cruise that both originates and terminates at the same U.S. port are not required to have a passport, but will need proof of citizenship such as an original or certified copy of a birth certificate, a certificate of naturalization, a passport card, an enhanced driver’s license (EDL) as well as a government-issued photo ID. Children are also required to bring proof of citizenship, and if 16 and over, a photo ID is also required.

U.S. citizens calling on ports in Honduras, Panama, Costa Rica and Belize will also be exempt from the passport requirement.

Canadian and Bermudian citizens are required to have a passport for air, land and sea travel, including all Carnival cruises.

If a cruise begins and ends in different U.S. ports, or begins and ends in a foreign port (such as our Alaska cruises and Hawaii cruises) a valid passport or other recognized WHTI-compliant document is required. A valid passport is required if you are traveling on any of our Europe cruises.

Although a passport is not required for U.S. citizens taking cruises that both originate and terminate at the same U.S. port, we, again, strongly recommend all guests travel with a passport (valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel). Having a passport will enable guests to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port in the event they miss their scheduled embarkation or to fly back to the U.S. if they need to disembark the ship mid-cruise due to an emergency.

ALL guests need proper proof of citizenship in order to travel and failure to present a valid document at check in will result in denied boarding and no refund will be issued.

For more information, a complete list of WHTI-compliant documents or to obtain a passport application, visit www.travel.state.gov.

U.S. Alien Residents need a valid Alien Resident Card, Non-U.S. citizens need a valid passport and a valid, unexpired U.S. Multiple Re-entry Visa, if applicable.

I agree that the information in this post is accurate, BUT YOU CANNOT RELY ON ANY CRUISE LINE TO TELL YOU WHAT DOCUMENTS ARE NEEDED FOR IMMIGRATION!

I would think by now Carnival would have figured it out by now, do not tell people that if you do "this", you do not need a Passport. It is obvious that you now need a Passport if you do "this". Are they not in touch with those that know something about Passport rules?

You do not need a passport to cruise on a closed loop cruise. The CBP agent was wrong, unless it is some weird Texas rule. If you needed a passport it would have been reported long before now.

You do not need a passport to cruise on a closed loop cruise. The CBP agent was wrong, unless it is some weird Texas rule. If you needed a passport it would have been reported long before now.

The custom agent probably thought it was now the Republic of Texas!:eek::D

But in all seriousness, like you said, the customs agent was wrong. Dead wrong (actually he was doing what he was told which makes a superior of his wrong). Everything I have found and read on the DHS website on WHTI, you DO NOT need a passport on a closed loop cruise.

My family cruised out of Galveston June 13th, our oldest daughter (19y/o) did not have a passport. We did not have any issues with Customs on our return to Galveston, in fact they did not even look at her birth certificate:confused: so who knows.

From DHS:

http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/crossingborders/#0

Land/Sea Travel

Beginning June 1, 2009

• U.S. citizens entering the United States at sea or land ports of entry are required to have documents that comply with the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI), most commonly a U.S. passport, a passport card, a trusted traveler card such as NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST, or an enhanced driver's license. See the complete list of WHTI-compliant documents.

From WHTI:

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/index.html

U.S. Border Crossing Requirements Are Changing - Get Compliant by June 1, 2009!

Simplify your travel checklist!

On June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens returning home from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean or Bermuda, by land or sea, will be required to present one of the travel documents listed below.

Many of these documents are already available, and obtaining one now will ensure that you are ready on June 1, 2009, when they will be required.

U.S. PassportThis is an internationally recognized travel document that verifies a person’s identity and nationality. It is accepted for travel by air, land and sea.

U.S. Passport CardThis is a new, limited-use travel document that fits in your wallet and costs less than a U.S. Passport. It is only valid for travel by land and sea.

Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL)Several states and Canadian provinces are issuing this driver’s license or identification document that denotes identity and citizenship. It is specifically designed for cross-border travel into the U.S. by land or sea.

Trusted Traveler Program CardsNEXUS, SENTRI or FAST enrollment cards can speed your entry into the U.S. and are issued only to pre-approved, low-risk travelers. The cards are valid for use at land or sea; the NEXUS card can be used in airports with a NEXUS kiosk.

Special GroupsInformation for Children, Groups of Children, Native Americans, "Closed Loop" Cruises, U.S. Lawful Permanent Residents, U.S. Military, Merchant Mariners, Ferries and Small Boats, and Boaters.

Knowing what documents are required and having them ready when you return home will help streamline the entry process and ensure your return to the U.S. is as smooth as possible.

http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/eng_sa.html

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

My husband and I just returned home Friday (July 3rd) from a "closed loop cruise" out of Miami. We both traveled with just BC and DL and had no problems. In fact, we were traveling with 2 people who both had passports and made it through customs before they did. Just a cursory glance and a welcome home and we were on our way.

I think it is ridiculous you were subjected to this abuse which was totally not necessary and just made the line/wait longer for everyone.

Did you by chance get the name and badge/id number of this agent so you can report HIM for being non-compliant? Sounds like he needs to be in a different line of work.

Will have a trip report later. We returned to Galveston Sunday from the Carnival Conquest 7-day trip. A CLOSED LOOP TRIP!!

DS had his passport; I had DL and Birth certificate. The line was long, even though we did self-assist disembark. (We would have gotten off sooner but DS HAD to have his last b'fast on ship and of course as soon as we got into line they called OUR DECK to disembark FIRST-- but I digress!)

Line moved slowly. When we got up to the counter, DS remarked something like "Finally! It was a long wait!"

The Customs official said "Yeah, it's all the people with the birth certificates holding up the line. They're in non-compliance with the new rules." He was very grim.

Smiling, I whipped out our documents. 'Like mine?" I laughed. He looked up, tore a sheet off a pad, slapped it on the counter and said "Yeah, like you. You're in non-compliance with the new rules. You need a passport as of June 1." Too shocked to speak by his attitude and (what *I* had been told) the wrong statement, I just left it at that. He ran my birth certificate through their computers (took about 5 minutes) and we left.

The paper he gave me had "YOU ARE NON-COMPLIANT WITH BORDER SECURITY" written at the top, and a bunch of other legal stuff on how to get a passport and now one was required.

So---- what gives? What's up with all that? Do they not read their own rules?? I didn't talk to anyone else to see if it happened in their line or not.

That's nothing new. I came back from Mexico at two different valley (Texas) crossings last year and one border patrol agent was able to look up my passport info from my driver's license the other agent gave me a rough time and issued documentation.

James

Sure would be nice if the OP could "Scan" that paper and post it here to "Verify" the accuracy of what occured....Hmmmmmmmmm

The same variety of thing was reported a week or so ago from Miami. I don't believe it's an isolated incident and I DO believe the OP.

It certainly seems like some folks in CBP have an agenda. I know that many higher ups were angry about the exception for closed loop cruises...

:rolleyes:

Well he is a Government employee, meaning he can do his job in any slovenly manner and still enjoy his retirement with lucrative benefits.

And it could be that you were IN compliance with Passport rules, but not in compliance with Border Security rules. Those "rules" have been "in flux" for way too long.

One thing that can get a civil servant in trouble is assuming powers not delegated to him. Printing up and handing out official (or official looking) leaflets with bogus information while performing official duties could actually detour one's career path. I agree with AbileneCruiser. These instructions had to come from someone higher-up.

Carnival has recommend that everyone have a passport since our first cruise in 2003. So my wife and I got ours for our first cruise, it wasn't that hard to get. They have push this law back several time over the past two or three years, and have said you will need one for all land, sea and air travel in and out of the U.S.A. as of June 1, 2009. What is so hard to understand? It been being writen about on this site for the past couple of years. People complaining just last years about the amount of time to get a passport. It is very very simple

You need Passport

people!

Archived