New Kosher Dining Options. Thoughts?

scf1270

From the Celebrity website:

Kosher Dining

In addition to our current selection of complimentary kosher meals, we're proud to introduce Premium Kosher Meals. High quality dishes are Glatt Kosher certified and made from scratch under the strict supervision of the O.U. and USDA. Pricing is per item and prices are subject to change. If you wish to partake of either our standard or premium kosher meals, we ask that you notify us 60 days in advance of your departure date. Premium Kosher Meals must be ordered onboard 24 hours in advance. Kosher meals are available on all ships except Celebrity Xpedition®.

A first the prices seemed a bit high, but Glatt Kosher can be crazy expensive, so maybe $19 extra for a dinner entree is not bad.

For those who try to maintain a Kosher "style" of dining while cruising, it would offer a nice break from endless meals of fish and pasta.

Anyone familar with the "current selection of complimentary kosher meals"?

What do you think of the new options?

Sara

• 6 months later...

I have been doing a LOT of research on this topic. Celebrity has a kosher kitchen but doesn't actually make the food themselves. It's a pre-packaged meal like served on an airplane I'm guessing until I can find out otherwise. Does anyone actually have any information on the kosher meals on Celebrity and/or the other lines and how they are? HELP!

This is a good initiative.

As I work in the airline industry, let me tell you a little secret: in Economy class (Coach for Americans), order a "Special meal" . It is free, prepared in a more individual way and generally much better tasting:)

And what about the option on Celebrity to Muslim passengers to recieve Muslim Halal Meals? (there are a lot more Muslims than Jews in the world)

And Vegan? and Hindu? and Hindu Veg? and Low Lactose?... :confused:

Interestingly, Kosher food is acceptable to Muslims who follow Halal rules. That is why in NYC many Muslim communities are located near Jewish neighborhoods.

Also, I believe that Jews make up a much higher proportion of cruisers than they do of the general population. If Celebrity is adding kosher options it's because they think there will be a demand for them.

Archived