Best place to eat in Cozumel?

dmaurer11

Taking the Elation in December to Cozumel and we are doing the walking around town thing shopping and looking for lunch. In you opinion where is the best place in Cozumel for lunch? We are willing to try any type of food.

Call me crazy, but there is a mobile food trailer near the back of the tourist area by where you can call a taxi. I am not sure it even had a name. I swear they served the best food I have ever eaten. I had two tacos and a cold beer for just a few bucks. What made me try it was that several cruise ship employees were eating there. I'm totally going there again next month!

Without a doubt you have to try Pancho's Backyard in the downtown area. Great food, drinks, and entertainment. We go every time we are there.

Another vote for Panchos.

One downtown and one at the Puerta Maya pier.

Warning... The Margaritas will Get you. They also sell them in foam "to-go" cups with a lid and straw. Excellent for shopping!

There are a number of places to eat. Panchos Backyard, as previously mentioned, served more Americanized Mexican food; but it's Chili Rellenos are excellent. Casa Denis, one of the oldest in San Miguel, at the east end of the Plaza, Especias, up stairs on the south end, or Plaza Liza, on the northern edge, all serve good variations of more native Yucatan cooking. La Mission has strolling musicans but it's original place further east of the plaza and it's branch in Playa del Carmen have better reps for food. If you wish to venture beyond the Plaza, look for the taco truck or head for the El Mercado a couple of streets away from the water from the plaza. Along along that area are several loncherias and tacquerias that serve locals with very good food at very reasonable prices. There are a number of threads on the Cozumel board with specific recommendations for these places. But Las Flamitas, Sabores and Tonitas readily come to mind. Also Los Oates, just south of the Plaza. Most loncherias are open mid day to early afternoon, although some do open later for dinner only.

Call me crazy, but there is a mobile food trailer near the back of the tourist area by where you can call a taxi. I am not sure it even had a name. I swear they served the best food I have ever eaten. I had two tacos and a cold beer for just a few bucks. What made me try it was that several cruise ship employees were eating there. I'm totally going there again next month!

That place is good, and super cheap. I love street food. Panchos is also quite good.

I have honestly thought about taking another cruise that goes to cozumel just to eat at Pancho's Backyard! I know that sounds crazy, but the food is just that good! It is more upscale/Americanized than traditional Mexican food, but it's worth every penny, the ambiance is great, and at times they have Mexican musicians playing while you eat. You can also shop right next door.

W.B. Creech www.travelvulture.com

A friend that used to be an entertainer on cruise ships suggested La Choza and that they have a special sauce he loves. I searched for comments and did find 1 but wondered if anyone could give info. I guess locals and crew eat there.

I think they have a page on FB. TA has lots of reviews. They've moved int he past couple of years, but still carry their signature sauce. More adventurous eaters might wish to try their excellent pollo negra, with it's dark mole sauce.

BTW, ALL restuarants in Cozumel "Treat" their water used in cooking and for ice!

I ate at La Choza years back and was impressed, awesome mole chicken. I plan on returning in January. New location this time for the restaurant and saw a nice video of it on youtube recently. Many say KINTA is a good place. All in all, I am a fan of street vendor food.

No matter what, I prefer mexican or yucatan cooking over tex-mex dishes so many serve there.

K and the A-Team

I ate at La Choza years back and was impressed, awesome mole chicken. I plan on returning in January. New location this time for the restaurant and saw a nice video of it on youtube recently. Many say KINTA is a good place. All in all, I am a fan of street vendor food.

No matter what, I prefer mexican or yucatan cooking over tex-mex dishes so many serve there.

K and the A-Team

I think they have a page on FB. TA has lots of reviews. They've moved int he past couple of years, but still carry their signature sauce. More adventurous eaters might wish to try their excellent pollo negra, with it's dark mole sauce.

BTW, ALL restuarants in Cozumel "Treat" their water used in cooking and for ice!

Thanks for the replies! We did see the fb page and ta.

A friend that used to be an entertainer on cruise ships suggested La Choza and that they have a special sauce he loves. I searched for comments and did find 1 but wondered if anyone could give info. I guess locals and crew eat there.

X2 for La Choza

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150809-d1032448-Reviews-La_Choza-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html

We were in Cozumel in Feb 2010 and are big fans of Mexican food especially my 9yr old, Fajitas are his fav.. We asked the staff at the Wyndham were we stayed for a week and they all ate at this restaurant , we where not disappointed great food and not to pricey ..

my 2 cents

We were looking for a real deal authentic place to go for a few beers. The guy at Playa Corona recommended Las Boyas. He said it was a cool, low key place, and they serve you lots of snacks.

The place is not on the water. It's in town. No big silly drinks or other touristy nonsense. Just beer, tequila, and a few other liquors, and juices. We were the only people in there.

And yes, there were snacks. LOTS of snacks.

They started out pretty tame - some peanuty corn thingies out of a bag.

Then, some simple nachos - tortilla chips, with homemade salsa, and a little crumble of queso fresco.

So then, I think they tried to see how serious we were about authentic food. They brought out a little conch ceviche. It was sooo freakin good! Limey, spicy, and simple. The conch was tender and fresh.

6383417015_33860730e9_b.jpg

That was followed by another plate of conch, since we gobbled the first one up, and some simmered pork rind. It tasted like those crispy fried pork rinds, but soft and juicy. The texture took me by surprise, but the flavor was divine.

6383417073_9f06114bf4_b.jpg

Then there was a plate of fries (meh), a semi-spicy ground beef and potato hash (tasty!), and some of the most delicious chicken wings I have ever had.

He said they got the chicken fresh this morning. It tasted as if it was marinated in something tart and salty, and then quickly fried. They were so juicy and crispy on the outside.

6383417135_14b25ec163_b.jpg

The manager / dj / bartender (Julian) was an superb host as well. He kept the food and drinks coming, and we had a lot of very interesting conversation with him. Julian's wife did all the cooking.

By the time we grudgingly left, we were stuffed. If you are an adventurous eater, you will love it.

Archived