What Happens If You Miss The Ship?

Can anyone explain the procedure if you miss the ship?

I've read that you should take that port's 'patter' with you off the ship because it has the Cruise Line's Agent's contact number at that port listed.

If you don't have your passport with you, how can you fly to the next port of call?

Has this happened to anyone out there? :eek: What did you do?

I bring my passport with me. I sure would hope I didnt miss the ship because it is darn expensive to have to fly to the next port to meet the ship.

Id rather be safe than sorry and I try to not cut it that close. However, I know there are medical emergencies and such reasons why folks miss ships.

You would have to pay for the flight to the next port basically....so better have your passport if you are worried about missing the ship.

There are some ports, I think St. Marteen required it, that we had to show a official picture ID to get back into the area where our ship was. Might just as well show your passport? But true your drivers license would do, but I carry both when I get off in a port.

Can anyone explain the procedure if you miss the ship?

I've read that you should take that port's 'patter' with you off the ship because it has the Cruise Line's Agent's contact number at that port listed.

If you don't have your passport with you, how can you fly to the next port of call?

Has this happened to anyone out there? :eek: What did you do?

That port's 'patter' will probably have the port authority phone number on it. Which might help, and you could possibly call, but unless you are on a ship sponsored excursion they more than likely won't hold the ship for you. It's always advised to make a copy of your passport and carry that with you. I don't take my passport itself, I figure it's safer in the safe, but I take a copy.

Depending on your location you could fly to meet the ship at the next port, water taxi, rental car, etc. If it's within the same area you wouldn't need your passport, if you had to fly back to the US you'd need your passport.

On the thread I posted above there are some interesting stories.:)

We were told by one cruise director that, since the ship usually departs on schedule from each port, if you are going to come back late, be sure to have your camera. You will always treasure the picture of the back of the ship as she sails away.

Paul :)

We were on the March 11th sailing of the RCI Mariner of the Sea and the Captain told the ship that two people missed the ship when it left Grand Cayman. Luckily for them, they caught a ride to Cozumel with the RCI ship Rhapsody of the Sea (which was in Grand Cayman the same day as the Mariner), and were reunited with the Mariner (and their luggage etc) the next morning.

Luckily for them, they caught a ride to Cozumel with the RCI ship Rhapsody of the Sea (which was in Grand Cayman the same day as the Mariner), and were reunited with the Mariner (and their luggage etc) the next morning.

I'll have to add that one to my notes I've collected from the other thread. Board other ship...:p

If your passport is with the Purser and you miss the ship, the passport is handed to the ship's agent just before the ship departs.

The Agent then stays at the pier, waiting for you to arrive. He is the guy looking at the passport picture, then looking around for some frantic person who matches the photo.

If you do not arrive at the pier within a few hours, the Agent contacts local police and gets their assistance to locate you. They contact local hotels, hospitals, and airlines to try to track you down.

Once they find you, the agent is then responsible to handle all the paperwork and legwork involved to get you back where you belong.

If you have taken your passport ashore with you and then miss the ship, you may be on your own. The Agent may still try to locate you on the pier, but may not know what you look like. You may not have his contact numbers.

Far better to let the ship handle it for you.

Archived