Anyone back from Mexico??

cruisinitaliano

Great review of Vista

That would be 22 Pesos charged per dollar.

I was hoping more like 300 Pesos for a $20 item

Lets see what others may say

Sam

Thanks. I'm not done yet, but I'm kind of tired tonight so I hope to add more tomorrow.

The exchange rate may be a little better out of the tourist trap places. We don't get Pesos, we pay in US Dollars. Might be a little different if you did a proper exchange, but that's more of a hassle to me. I'm not sweating a few bucks. It's vacation!

They may calculate at 20:1 but if you change money the rate I saw was about 19 at a cambio in Mexico.

It will change daily so what we tell you today may not be what you pay when you are cruising.

They will take USA $$s.

Taxi from OUTSIDE the port (by the gas station)in Puerto Vallarta was $5 for 2 to the malecon(boardwalk) On the way back they were asking $5 EACH but we didn't pay that and got one for $3 each so $6 USA for 2 people.

In Mazatlan an open air taxi from outside the port on the blue line was $5 to go to the cliff divers. He was asking about $20 for a longer tour but we were not in the mood for that.

Mom got 18.5 pesos/$1 in the PV Walmart this past week. I got 17.7 pesos/$1 at one of the Ensenada supermarkets last weekend.

We like having pesos because we go to places where we're usually the only 'boat people'.

One cruise we didn't have enough pesos so we used our $US in the more touristy places. Figured out it cost us an extra $6US total in 4 Mexican ports.

Mom got 18.5 pesos/$1 in the PV Walmart this past week. I got 17.7 pesos/$1 at one of the Ensenada supermarkets last weekend.

Last week the official rate was $1 to 19.19 pesos. In Cabo, the exchange at the cambio was $1 to 18 pesos.

If you plan on changing dollars to pesos in Mexico, you will need your passport.

Maybe I need to re phrase my question:

I am aware that the official exchange rates change daily. There normally is a " cost" associated with the exchange.

So.. if the rate were 19-1 after fees I may get 17.7-1.

My real question is..

What are vendors asking, or charging?

If the parasail was $35 usd, did they want 700 Pesos? Did they want 600?

What were restaurants charging..20-1, 15-1?

I understand that everything can be negotiated, but what were the starting asking rates.

Thanks

Maybe I need to re phrase my question:

I am aware that the official exchange rates change daily. There normally is a " cost" associated with the exchange.

So.. if the rate were 19-1 after fees I may get 17.7-1.

My real question is..

What are vendors asking, or charging?

If the parasail was $35 usd, did they want 700 Pesos? Did they want 600?

What were restaurants charging..20-1, 15-1?

I understand that everything can be negotiated, but what were the starting asking rates.

Thanks

It's a very fluid situation. There is no firm answer for you. The shops at the PV pier are usually about 1-2 pesos below par. PV WalMart historically has never been more than a peso off the official (XE.com) rate. Individual vendors will charge what the market will bear.

At times we've asked for pricing in both pesos and USD. We know how much we've paid for our pesos.

Restaurants have been ranging anywhere from 15 to 18 pesos to the USD. December and March in Ensenada. Cabo, La Paz, PV and Loreto in January.

Obviously, the more you buy from any one vendor the better the negotiation.

ETA--there are several excellent threads on the Mexican Riviera board re: Pesos v Dollars.

Edited by SadieN