MSC vs. RCCL

Piper934

I heard some folks talking about MSC recently and the great value it is. Looking online there is some good pricing in the Caribbean. We have been on 8 cruises, 5 of those on RCCL. We are mid 40's travelling with a 16 yo. We tend to prefer more casual side of things. We like activities on the ship, trivia, teen club, game shows, etc. We prefer MDR both do like to snack on the pizza, etc.

What exactly is European style cruising?

What are the biggest differences between MSC and RCCL both positive and negative?

Any insight that you have to help me decide whether to try this line in the near future would be appreciated.

I heard some folks talking about MSC recently and the great value it is. Looking online there is some good pricing in the Caribbean. We have been on 8 cruises, 5 of those on RCCL. We are mid 40's travelling with a 16 yo. We tend to prefer more casual side of things. We like activities on the ship, trivia, teen club, game shows, etc. We prefer MDR both do like to snack on the pizza, etc.

What are the biggest differences between MSC and RCCL both positive and negative?

Any insight that you have to help me decide whether to try this line in the near future would be appreciated.

What ship are you talking about with RCCL.

Ive been on freedom, radiance, enchantment twice and monarch.

We dont use a lot of the amenities on the newer ships, did love the ice show on freedom though.

More concerned about the comparison in dining, food selection, service, on board programs, etc.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Forums mobile app

Ship design, amenities, entertainment program - this is where the largest RCI ships excel and this is where the main difference with MSC product is found.

On MSC (Divina) you'll see more people per square inch, less amenities, more nickel and diming.

They reserve the best part of upper decks for so-called Yacht Club guests (premium price). Another preferred place - Top 18 sun deck is for extra charge too - something unbelievable for RCI.

The food is the weakest part of RCI product - thus the closest point to MSC.

The food overall is poor in Med cruises.

In the Caribbean they have been forced to implement some improvements to be competitive. So there will be nothing major - in comparison with RCI, of course.

Don't be deceived with "european style" cruising.

More pasta and pizza is not Europe.

MSC is a low cost Italian cruise line.

Food varies from Carnival to RCI, from RCI to NCL. Same here -somewhat different. Nothing more.

Nothing equal to Promenade cafe & Sorrento's - they will charge for the alternatives.

Entertainment is tailored for multilingual crowd - less talking, more acting.

No live orchestra on the main stage.

Various performers in lounges - as on any mega ship.

Long announcements on several languages on Med. cruises.

Primarily English - in the Caribbean.

Many balconies are obstructed by lifeboats, are above lifeboats, or placed under a huge overhang - something that never happens on the Freedom class.

You'll see a soaring atrium with glass elevators and a piano in the middle - like on Carnival ships.

Glitzy decor - much more reserved than on Carnival. May be a little more reserved than on the Freedom class.

A sample MDR menu (MSC Divina)

Ship design, amenities, entertainment program - this is where the largest RCI ships excel and this is where the main difference with MSC product is found.

On MSC (Divina) you'll see more people per square inch, less amenities, more nickel and diming.

They reserve the best part of upper decks for so-called Yacht Club guests (premium price). Another preferred place - Top 18 sun deck is for extra charge too - something unbelievable for RCI.

In the Caribbean they have been forced to implement some improvements to be competitive. So there will be nothing major - in comparison with RCI, of course.

Food varies from Carnival to RCI, from RCI to NCL. Same here -somewhat different. Nothing more.

Nothing equal to Promenade cafe & Sorrento's - they will charge for the alternatives.

Many balconies are obstructed by lifeboats, are above lifeboats, or placed under a huge overhang - something that never happens on the Freedom class.

You'll see a soaring atrium with glass elevators and a piano in the middle - like on Carnival ships.

Glitzy decor - much more reserved than on Carnival. May be a little more reserved than on the Freedom class.

Piper934, just to ensure you make an informed decision; Cruisetrail has never been on an MSC cruise and as a result conveys hearsay....not quite sure how he believes that it is satisfactory to make statements of fact based on a picture is beyond me....but now a thought to ponder courtesy of George Elliot:

"He was like the cock who thought the sun had risen to hear him crow."

Piper would you prefer to hear from someone who has cruised on both lines? Because this person hasn't.

I know MSC well but my knowledge of RCCI is limited to what my sister has told me (she's sailed twice with them).

The first point to be aware of with MSC is that the onboard experience varies depending on where the ship is based. Many of the reviews you'll read on here are based on European sailings where MSC are catering to mainly Italians, Spanish French and Germans with some British and other nationalities.

The Divina is going to be moving permanently to the US and is due to under go a number of changes to suit the US market.

So based on the above, I think the main differences you'd notice would be

- not so many facilities on MSC e.g. No skating rinks and that sort of thing but Divina does have a lot of other things compared to the smaller MSC ships

- more non US passengers onboard (just as a lot of Americans cruising in Europe do so on American lines, some Europeans coming to the Caribbean will do so on a european line). As a result, you'll hear up to 5 languages spoken onboard and this will apply to entertainment and shows (unlikely to have a comedian in the theatre - more visual and musical acts)

- you may see some foods and drinks that are not familiar but there will still be plenty of US offerings to suit the majority.

The biggest difference currently is the service style. MSC is old world were staff don't interrupt you to try to sell you something. If you are lounging by the pool, theynwill walk past you without saying anything. If you want a drink, you attract their attention. The only place where anyone tries to sell you anything is in the spa where they ask you to buy some of the products (don't they all). Crew will be friendly and chat to you but their initial approach will be serious not openly friendly acting like younare a long lost friend.

We have sailed with RCI many times, and love their product. We are late 40s with two sons aged 15 & 12. We have mostly sailed freedom and voyager class. Last year we sailed on Poesia in the Caribbean. We all had a great time and will be doing the voyage from Santos in Brazil to Venice in March. We loved the ship's design, and thought the food was better than RCI. There is not a Sorrentos or Cafe Promonade, but the buffet is open from 6am until 2am, and has great pizza and burgers, along with lots of other choices. I have Coeliac and can't eat the RCI burgers as they have wheat fillers. MSC's burgers are 100% beef, so were good for me. Our boys really enjoyed snacks at the buffet. MDR is open for all meals every day even on port days. We felt the service was good.

Our balcony cabin was much bigger than the best grade of balcony on RCI, and we liked the decor. Cabin stewards are rarely seen, but our cabin was always cleaned, towels changed etc. For me that is a plus point, and again more European style of service.

Drinks are cheaper than RCI, but you can't buy coke cards for the kids without everyone taking the drinks package. I think they will change that eventually at least in the US, but probably not this year. Entertainment in the bars is much superior to RCI, but we felt the shows were all very similar. Fantastic quality with people who could really sing and very talented dancers and acrobats etc, but pretty similar each night we went. Also if you are late seating all shows are before dinner, which we don't really like.

The boys did not like the teen club and do love RCI's version, but to be honest did not miss it as the cruise was very port intensive. That is one of my fears for our cruise next year with so many sea days, but they like to chill and read their kindles or chat, so they will survive. They didnt really miss the other activities like few rider, ice rink, climbing wall, but again they were kept occupied off shore most days. The ice cream is fantastic!

As for announcements, they do come in several languages, but there are far fewer of them than other lines. I am constantly feeling like RCI are trying to get me to spend my money, but never felt that on MSC.

So overall for us we would cruise MSC over Carnival any day of the week. If itinerary and cost were the same RCI would win, but only because of the boys and the Diamond Lounge benefits. MSC have a great product and I hope they do not change it too much.

Piper934, just to ensure you make an informed decision; Cruisetrail has never been on an MSC cruise and as a result conveys hearsay....not quite sure how he believes that it is satisfactory to make statements of fact based on a picture is beyond me....but now a thought to ponder courtesy of George Elliot:

"He was like the cock who thought the sun had risen to hear him crow."

I always wonder how someone would be motivated to campaign so strongly about something that they haven't experienced. It's a fervour that's dogmatic, and tries to throw out a multitude of facts which have nothing to do with experiences.

Ive been on freedom, radiance, enchantment twice and monarch.

We dont use a lot of the amenities on the newer ships, did love the ice show on freedom though.

More concerned about the comparison in dining, food selection, service, on board programs, etc.

As a general statement, it's an interesting question you raise as I found MSC to be the European version of RCL. They both aim for the mass market, and have a wide range of restaurants, activities and services to suit.

In terms of the points you raise, for dining I'd rate them slightly lower than RCL. The dining room is unfortunately more enclosed. The waiter service comparable to RCL, although there's less inclination for the waiters to talk, likely due to the multitude of languages they deal with.

In food I also found them of a comparable standard and grade - again good mass market stuff. Both lines have the MDR plus a variety of chargeable speciality restaurants and extras e.g. coffee and ice cream to suit a variety of moments and interests.

Service I've found on both to be efficient and helpful but discreet. Again, nothing to separate them.

On board programs is more limited on MSC due to the multitude of languages. They still have things like quizzes and entertainment though - but it's always simpler if everything's in your language. So not really a mark against MSC (and the way they handle languages is great, by checking upfront which are needed, and the language prowess is superb), but just that it will naturally be simpler with RCL.

No ice show on MSC. They do have other unique features, but if you enjoyed the ice show I would say I still enjoyed the onboard entertainment on MSC _a lot._ The acrobatic performers which you see on other lines like Celebrity were the most talented and impressive I have seen on MSC. And they are the only line I have seen that has a black light theatre show which was also a highlight. It's a refreshingly cultured range of entertainment and well planned to suit its diverse market.

For me the standout between RCL and MSC was that the cabins were so much better for the standard balcony. It was like chalk and cheese.

All in all, I enjoy both RCL and MSC, but in different ways. I see them as comparable though, so RCL is providing a good American cruise experiences, and MSC is providing a good Euro cruise experience.

OK, well I have cruised on both and for similar numbers of nights (38 on Royal Caribbean vs. 33 on MSC).

It is helpful that you said the sort of things that you like. I think the single biggest difference to you would be the multi-lingual nature of an MSC cruise. There tend to be very few organised activities that rely upon language. MSC generally operates in around seven different languages and you can imagine for things like quizzes and game shows, this would be tedious for all so they just don't do them. What little there is which relies upon language, e.g. the occasional lecture about the running of the ship etc., will be given in different languages at different times/days in a small venue.

You mention pizza. Some U.S. guests don't like MSC pizzas compared to what they are used to. I lived in Italy for a while and MSC pizzas are the real thing not the sort we are subjected to in the UK which are U.S.-derived.

Now plusses and minusses. This is obviously subjective but as I have sailed with both lines almost equally and also being mid-forties, I feel qualified to answer your question.

MSC Plusses over Royal Caribbean

More beautiful and tastefully decorated ships

More discrete 'European-style' service - less hard sell

A more multi-cultural experience - fellow guests will be from many countries

Fewer intrusive announcements

More classical music, more musical entertainment altogether

Superb value all-inclusive package ('Allegrissimo')

Royal Caribbean Plusses over MSC

Fewer language issues

More familiar food

Free bar for high-status repeat guests

Quizzes and shows in English

You also mention that you prefer to be casual. Really, I didn't notice any significant difference between formality/casualness on the two lines except that if you have a large contingent of Italians onboard they tend to be far better dressed than the average UK or US cruiser all the time.

My preference out of the two lines is strongly for MSC because of the reasons listed above. Try it and see. We are all different.

Tim.

Awful.

Tim, the newest ship you cruised on was built in 1996 :eek:

Your "comparison" is 17 years late.

I agree with you Cruisetrail, MSC operate the youngest fleet. But that in itself does not make them better. I loved the QE2, as old as me. I don't think youth is an intrinsic quality. It matters more how a ship is run.

Tim.

Thanks for all the info. I think I have a much better picture. Thinking try a short outbof miami with just wife to test the waters before locking in 7+ days on family.

Might be dumb question of the day. What do you drink at dinner if you dont buyva drink package. They charge for a glass of water? We dont drink alcohol or soda much so not sure a drink package is applicablem

Water is always free flowing in the buffet and also in the MDR in the Caribbean. On Poesia we also had orange, apple and cranberry, plus tea, ice tea and coffee at the buffet. Tea and coffee are also served in the MDR in the US.

OK, well I have cruised on both and for similar numbers of nights (38 on Royal Caribbean vs. 33 on MSC).

It is helpful that you said the sort of things that you like. I think the single biggest difference to you would be the multi-lingual nature of an MSC cruise. There tend to be very few organised activities that rely upon language. MSC generally operates in around seven different languages and you can imagine for things like quizzes and game shows, this would be tedious for all so they just don't do them. What little there is which relies upon language, e.g. the occasional lecture about the running of the ship etc., will be given in different languages at different times/days in a small venue.

You mention pizza. Some U.S. guests don't like MSC pizzas compared to what they are used to. I lived in Italy for a while and MSC pizzas are the real thing not the sort we are subjected to in the UK which are U.S.-derived.

Now plusses and minusses. This is obviously subjective but as I have sailed with both lines almost equally and also being mid-forties, I feel qualified to answer your question.

MSC Plusses over Royal Caribbean

More beautiful and tastefully decorated ships

More discrete 'European-style' service - less hard sell

A more multi-cultural experience - fellow guests will be from many countries

Fewer intrusive announcements

More classical music, more musical entertainment altogether

Superb value all-inclusive package ('Allegrissimo')

Royal Caribbean Plusses over MSC

Fewer language issues

More familiar food

Free bar for high-status repeat guests

Quizzes and shows in English

You also mention that you prefer to be casual. Really, I didn't notice any significant difference between formality/casualness on the two lines except that if you have a large contingent of Italians onboard they tend to be far better dressed than the average UK or US cruiser all the time.

My preference out of the two lines is strongly for MSC because of the reasons listed above. Try it and see. We are all different.

Tim.

I have just returned from another Royal cruise having cruised for the 1st time with MSC earlier this year.

I would second everything Tim says but on a practical basis I noticed the following:

1. Daily Tipping Rate is 33% higher with Royal (not an issue for me as my TA prepaid my tips).

2. The constant hard sell esp photographers.

3. Drinks prices much higher on Royal. MSC bar staff in my experience far friendlier - and no the allegrissimo package was not available on our cruise but their superb cocktail packages were :) and the bar staff constantly plied us with free plates of tapas :)

4. Guest Relations staff much friendlier on MSC.

5. MSC in their daily sheet discourage tipping extra, Royal Caribbean encourage it on a daily basis and leave envelopes in your stateroom to facilitate it.

6. $10 'tat' sales - absent on my MSC cruise. They caused a 'scrum' on Royal.

7. No Library - there were 2 bookcases in a coffee shop.

8. Limited seating.

9. Food in MSC buffet was of a much higher standard - but again I love pasta and pizza (Italian style).

10. Maybe this was a coincidence, but my seapass account had numerous errors - accounted for one third of the entries - I have never had that before.

11. Really hard sell on future cruises.

On a positive note, Royal are far better at disembarking the ship.

My Royal cruise was ex Harwich and I have to give credit where it is due, they had 3 outstanding headline acts in the theatre - possibly the best I have ever seen/heard on a cruise ship.

Annie

Thanks for all the info. I think I have a much better picture. Thinking try a short outbof miami with just wife to test the waters before locking in 7+ days on family.

Might be dumb question of the day. What do you drink at dinner if you dont buyva drink package. They charge for a glass of water? We dont drink alcohol or soda much so not sure a drink package is applicablem

Short cruises often attract a different crowd. I'm sure you and your family will love a 7 day cruise as long as you don't spend the whole time comparing details. We prefer MSC food but prefer RCL service in the MDR.

Water is served in the MDR without asking for it although we had to ask repeatedly at breakfast. We go to the gym first so usually arrive thirsty.

We will be traveling on MSC again but we got enticed for our next cruise by the southern itinerary and the free drink package they were offering

Water is supplied in the MDR on Caribbean cruises, as distinct from their cruises elsewhere.

So no need for the drinks package there.

(But yes, on their other cruises, you would need to fork out for water to be supplied in the MDR at the equivalent of a few dollars a bottle. They also have a water drinks package, although the saving is negligible.)

Brilliance of the Seas (after Revitalisation ??)

Musica

Annie

Yes, the Radiance class (Brilliance).

This class is considerd lovely by many.

Again - wrong comparison as the Divina is a mega ship while the Brilliance is 2002 built mid-size ship.

You can compare the Divina with Roayl caribbean Freedom class - mega ships.

The comparison is not in favor of MSC.

Whatever you point out on the RCI Freedom ships - is missing on the MSC mega ships.

First of all, RCI ships are significantly larger but carry roughly the same number of passenges as MSC ships.

Inside planning.

RCI - axial planning with divided engine uptakes. Axial planning makes internal spaces more spectacular and better organized.

The Divina follows internal planning typical for smaller ships.

Balconies.

RCI - no lifeboats in the view.

MSC - lifeboats in front of balconies, huge overhang

RCI Liberty of the Seas

4_zps2e025780.jpg

MCS Splendida

40_zps5b254a92.jpg

RCI - clean board

5_zps78ed191e.jpg

MSC

20_zpsdf0bbe05.jpg

MSC