MSC vs. RCCL

Piper934

I would second everything Tim says

I'll third what Tim and Anniegb have said. I went on the Poesia earlier this year, and was slightly worried about it due to some of the comments/reviews I'd read here. I had a lovely time.

I preferred the service style on MSC to RCI - if I wanted something it was easy to catch someone's eye, but the rest of the time they left me in peace.

I didn't feel I'd make enough use of the Allegrissimo premium package, and the standard package wasn't available, but they did have coupon books available to purchase at every bar throughout the entire cruise. I can't remember the exact details, but it was something like 12 for the price of 10 - you prepaid for 10 soft drinks or alcoholic drinks, got a little booklet with 12 vouchers in it, and just tore one off and gave it to the waitress as payment.

Royal Caribbean ships offer vast open spaces (vs crowded closed-in MSC Divina)

9_zps79375fcf.jpg

Promenade deck on RCI Liberty of the Seas

12_zpse1f1ac84.jpg

MSC Divina

25_zpsc0815d0c.jpg

RCI Liberty of the Seas

3_zps8679378d.jpg

RCI Liberty of the Seas

10_zps3d65b1e7.jpg

Long story short: all in all MSC won't hold a candle to RCI mega ships.

^^ Even if I loved the Liberty of the seas, many of those areas Cruisetrail mentions are barely used.

We'll be sailing on MSC Fantasia next year and the thing I will miss the most will be those soaring whirpools and the whole Solarium area on the Liberty, which is just beautiful and relaxing. Late september / early october in the Med means the water is quite cold, and I had the whole pool by myself. Some people saw me and tried the cold waters, but they failed miserably :D The trick is to combine it with the warm whirpools.

On MSC Fantasia class, on the other hand, we have the aft infinity pool, which makes it even more interesting since you swim AND at the same time you enjoy the views. And also we have the interior retractable-roof pool, which RCI Oasis and Freedom class lack. And I can tell you from expierience, in rainy days those pools are very much needed!

What I hate about MSC is the fact that now you have to pay for the Solarium on the Fantasia class ships, as the only adults only area. This is a stupid short term policy and it doesn't help MSC at all, it will surely mean bad reviews, and that area will be empty.

If they want to charge for the sunbeds or those round furniture things OK, but you should be able to access that area and its whirpool freely. Who stands the whole day in the sun without shade? And more importantly, who pays for it? It sounds crazy. They already had a private area in the YC zone, and now this!

^^ Even if I loved the Liberty of the seas, many of those areas Cruisetrail mentions are barely used.

Hi Elmartellama,

Barely used spaces means.... luxury at sea.

Those areas on RCI are spectacular recreational oases where you can get rid of crowds - something that is not possible on MSC.

the aft infinity pool, which makes it even more interesting since you swim AND at the same time you enjoy the views.

Reading this I assume that you weren't on MSC Fantasia & MSC Splendida or did not do your research thorougly: this photo

The Divina has a modified aft pool area.

Although the aft pool area is still small and crammed, the presence of the aft pool is the only reason why I ever consider this ship for a possible future cruise in the Caribbean on condition that it's adult only.

However, it all depends on MSC policy regarding this area.

In the Mediterranean it's a chaos with crowds of kids (see where people are sitting - views wise):

4_zps60c583a8.jpg

6_zps965e057d.jpg

Royal Caribbean Freedom class ships

Extended atrium (over 100 m long)

13_zps7e96bd54.jpg

1_zpsa188b801.jpg

Many "internal" cabins got windows

11_zpsd56495bc.jpg

Entertainment on RCI

Full Broadway Show

17_zps080cb473.jpg

Ice Show on RCI

15_zps0801ec33.jpg

Thnak you for cabin picture. It will remind me never book such a thing.

Give me MSC any day, with plenty of places to sit in elegant surroundings. I hated the middle promenade on Indy. If the weather is poor, everyone is there. You can't get a seat or join a quiz. Impossible to see the parades due to the number of people. On Indy we had five sea days in a row as the captain wouldn't go in to Lisbon as a storm was brewing. Had to sit in the stateroom for a lot of it as insufficient seating arrangements. Stop me before I get writers cramp!

Hi Elmartellama,

Those areas on RCI are spectacular recreational oases where you can get rid of crowds - something that is not possible on MSC.

Reading this I assume that you weren't on MSC Fantasia & MSC Splendida or did not do your research thorougly: this photo

Although the aft pool area is still small and crammed, the presence of the aft pool is the only reason why I ever consider this ship for a possible future cruise in the Caribbean on condition that it's adult only.

In the Mediterranean it's a chaos with crowds of kids (see where people are sitting - views wise):

4_zps60c583a8.jpg

6_zps965e057d.jpg

Great information, do you have any price comparisons?

Hi Elmartellama,

Well, if I want to get rid of crowds I just don't go to a cruise ship with other 4.000 people. If I want to use a pool by myself I just don't go to a cruise with other 4.000 people. I've learned to make realistic expectations in order to enjoy life.

Well, if I want to get rid of crowds I just don't go to a cruise ship with other 4.000 people. If I want to use a pool by myself I just don't go to a cruise with other 4.000 people. I've learned to make realistic expectations in order to enjoy life.

Lol!

Yeah, some folk should go to a log cabin in the back of woop woop, try solo yachting........or perhaps just stay in their own back yard.

This what make cruise ships so different - personal space.

Choose the right ship where you can enjoy all the advantages and amenities of a large resort ship and at the same time enjoy the romance and comfort of a classy ship.

v741zp.jpg

cruisetrail,thank you for your comment regarding my post,and I apologize for using your picture; I, unfortunately, do not have a picture of Allure in the same area as is the discussed picture (from the link).It would show the difference better.

No problem.

Here you are! :)

nd7s00.jpg

We sailed on both lines and enjoy both lines.

RCCL ships are more innovative.

Staterooms are comparable in size and amenities.

Entertainment... well we actually enjoyed MSC entertainment better. Especially live music. But it is a matter of taste. If you prefer comedy, hypnotist type pf shows you might like RCCL better. We love production shows a lot.

Food is comparable, although RCCL steaks are better.

We yet to sail on RCCL 90-tons ship (Brilliance), but Poesia which we sailed on is absolutely gorgeous.

Aside from everything else on MSC cruise (in Caribbean Sea) we enjoyed international crowd.

I wouldn't hesitate to sail with them.

P.S. Check my review... a

That's exactly how I feel. And at least in MY MIND, I think I have good taste. LOL

Personally I'm not sure what kind or taste I have? It may be good, bad or even poor taste. What ever it is I enjoyed my MSC experience (with 2 more booked)

Personally I'm not sure what kind or taste I have? It may be good, bad or even poor taste. What ever it is I enjoyed my MSC experience (with 2 more booked)

I have just noticed the avatar!

And this was whilst having a cheeky peek at CC at work - so now my entire office wants to know what I laughed at so much that I snorted coffee and had to go to the bathroom to compse myself.... :D

We are more than happy to discuss cruising and answer questions about our experience of MSC. I am bored however of hearing about wrap around promenade decks and one individual's criteria of what makes a good ship stated as facts when in fact they are a list of personal preferences.

Archived