"Naughty" Room???!!!

J.A.H.

Hi,

I posted this question on another thread with a topic of bringing alcohol/booze on board, and didn't generate an answer. I know it is not a true Princess topic, but I am just SO curious.......some folks on the RCCL forum claim that there is a "naughty room" on their ships where people are called and forced to open their luggage and hand over any alcohol, including wine and champagne, as well as naughty items like irons and hair cutting sissors??!!! I know that you can't bring any wine or alcohol on board; carry on or otherwise, but does this room actually exist? I can't imagine that they xray every bit of luggage and/or that they would risk irritating customers in this economic climate. I am contemplating a RCCL cruise, just because a family group is going and already booked and wants us to join them. I am a HUGE fan of Princess, however.....:)

Hi,

I posted this question on another thread with a topic of bringing alcohol/booze on board, and didn't generate an answer. I know it is not a true Princess topic, but I am just SO curious.......some folks on the RCCL forum claim that there is a "naughty room" on their ships where people are called and forced to open their luggage and hand over any alcohol, including wine and champagne, as well as naughty items like irons and hair cutting sissors??!!! I know that you can't bring any wine or alcohol on board; carry on or otherwise, but does this room actually exist? I can't imagine that they xray every bit of luggage and/or that they would risk irritating customers in this economic climate. I am contemplating a RCCL cruise, just because a family group is going and already booked and wants us to join them. I am a HUGE fan of Princess, however.....:)

I don't know that it necessarily is a specific room with a nameplate on the door that says "naughty room"--

but yes, they do xray luggage (just like when boarding an airline), and if they spot "something suspicious" in the luggage -- something that is "not allowed" (and every cruise line has a list of these things, much like on airlines, and can include things like weapons, irons, "pointy objects", etc.), including what may look like liquor (or beer), yes, they "would risk irritating customers in this economic cllimate".

Your luggage won't appear at or in your cabin, you'll be called or a note left, directing you to a specific area of the ship, where you'll be asked to identify -- then open -- your luggage. They'll ask to see the suspcious item(s)...and if turns out to be something that is not allowed, it will be confiscated -- held -- until the end of the cruise, at which time you can go back and claim it as you leave the ship.

Ships make huge amounts of $$ on liquor/beer. Much more than even on cabin "rental". So indeed in this economic climate they're vigilant, interested in protecting their "bottom line", and don't want folks to bring liquor/beer on board. At least not in large quantities (each line has some specific limits to what you can/cannot bring.)

We were called down to the "Naughty Room" on an NCL cruise a couple of years ago for bringing 2 bottles of wine on in our luggage (not carryon)that we were planning on drinking in our room It was a humiliating experience and we have not cruised on NCL since. Princess does allow you to bring 1 bottle per person of wine or champagne on board- Just one more reason to love Princess!

Hi,

I can't imagine that they xray every bit of luggage and/or that they would risk irritating customers in this economic climate. I am contemplating a RCCL cruise, just because a family group is going and already booked and wants us to join them. I am a HUGE fan of Princess, however.....:)

I live in Southern California and most of my friends do RCCL more so than Carnival or even Princess. During Spring break RCCL is quite strict in checking things. If you have done Spring Break on RCCL you would understand the need to check everything and everyone while at it. Regardless of economic climate they have a right to enforce they rules at the risk of irritating anyone. Booze smugglers are really reasonable people pushing the limits to enjoy a drink in their cabin, so most would understand that they have right....JMOP

I have had liquor taken away from my carry on on RCCL (years ago) but returned at the end of the cruise. On Princess I could not find anyone to give bottles of Tequilas I bought in port. Spring Break...Beware!

Princess actually sends mixed signals on to how much wine is allowed. The Passage Contract says, "Passengers agree not to bring alcoholic beverages of any kind (except wine and champagne) on board for consumption." There is no limit mentioned in the contract. I have never seen any limits placed on wine and champagne. The only time I've seen alcohol being taken is in ports. The bottles that people turn over to Princess are returned to the passengers the last day of the cruise.

We brought six bottles for our recent Emerald Princess cruise--right in our carry-on luggage--and were not challenged. I've seen people place luggage tags on cases of wine for them to be delivered to their staterooms.

I don't know that it necessarily is a specific room with a nameplate on the door that says "naughty room"--

but yes, they do xray luggage (just like when boarding an airline), and if they spot "something suspicious" in the luggage -- something that is "not allowed" (and every cruise line has a list of these things, much like on airlines, and can include things like weapons, irons, "pointy objects", etc.), including what may look like liquor (or beer), yes, they "would risk irritating customers in this economic cllimate".

Your luggage won't appear at or in your cabin, you'll be called or a note left, directing you to a specific area of the ship, where you'll be asked to identify -- then open -- your luggage. They'll ask to see the suspcious item(s)...and if turns out to be something that is not allowed, it will be confiscated -- held -- until the end of the cruise, at which time you can go back and claim it as you leave the ship.

Ships make huge amounts of $$ on liquor/beer. Much more than even on cabin "rental". So indeed in this economic climate they're vigilant, interested in protecting their "bottom line", and don't want folks to bring liquor/beer on board. At least not in large quantities (each line has some specific limits to what you can/cannot bring.)

Hold on here. I will not say that you are entirely not correct but I will say I have never ever seen this happen, or heard of it happening, or read of it happening.

I have been sailing with Princess since 1991 not a record I know but a very long time and a lot of cruises certainly in all that time I would have run into someone that this has happened to. I have not.

I know what the rules and regs are or the contract if you will but can you imaging them hustling myself and wife down someplace and doing some kind of 3rd degree on us? Good gosh no, they would immediately loose a long time customer that only books minis and occasionally a suite and I would suspect the same would happen with any other pax.

I know they have the right but I don't think they xray every bag. They are not even that particular at the gangplank. I have on more than one occasion brought back an expensive bottle of liquor fully expecting to let them have it until we disembark and then I would reclaim it. They never have I just take it to the cabin.

I for one sincerely hope that they DO xray each and every bag and happen to very pleased to know that they do have people come down and open their bags if they suspect something amiss. In these days we don't want anyone to have the chance to shoot up the HC or show lounge miles and miles from land do we?

Hi,

Where would I find a list of restricted items for Princess cruises? I have searched the Princess web site but haven’t found one. I don’t remember ever seeing this information in brochures from previous cruises.

I for one sincerely hope that they DO xray each and every bag and happen to very pleased to know that they do have people come down and open their bags if they suspect something amiss. In these days we don't want anyone to have the chance to shoot up the HC or show lounge miles and miles from land do we?

Yes they absolutley do xray each bag but they don't make a big deal about liquor as other lines do.

Yes they absolutley do xray each bag but they don't make a big deal about liquor as other lines do.

Yes, I'd sincerely hope that they Xray every piece of luggage going aboard their ships! They'd be crazy not to... in this post 9/11 climate :rolleyes:

Hold on here. I will not say that you are entirely not correct but I will say I have never ever seen this happen, or heard of it happening, or read of it happening.

I have been sailing with Princess since 1991 not a record I know but a very long time and a lot of cruises certainly in all that time I would have run into someone that this has happened to. I have not.

GERTZ what uppitycats was describing is what RCCL does or can do not Princess. We have friends who got caught boarding an RCCL ship in NY with just this thing. Like you, I've never seen or heard of Princess doing anything similar. Princess reserves the right to take liquor from your hand luggage but that certainly is hit or miss - usually miss.

Thanks for all of the responses. I have sailed on Princess many times, and had no problems with carrying on wine at boarding or in the ports. My question was about RCCL......has anyone ever sailed with them and had to go to this "room"? This "naughty" designation was a term that a poster used on the RCCL forum. I have no problems with them looking for guns, etc. of course, however I think if anyone was _ell bent on doing some violence, they would have no shortage of options, even using items already on board. (Knives, etc.) Even on the airlines, what is to prevent someone from grabbing a wine bottle from first class and breaking it? That would make a fine weapon. I comply with all of this and don't complain, but alot of it seems pretty lame. Also, what's up with the "no hair cutting sissors?" I have brought them on many ships and in my CARRY ON! No issues there......The irons I can see, as they are a fire hazard, however so are cigarettes. The fire dept. says they cause an awful lot of fires, folks falling asleep and all. (Again, I have no problem with those kinds of restrictions).

GERTZ what uppitycats was describing is what RCCL does or can do not Princess. We have friends who got caught boarding an RCCL ship in NY with just this thing. Like you, I've never seen or heard of Princess doing anything similar. Princess reserves the right to take liquor from your hand luggage but that certainly is hit or miss - usually miss.

larson I understand what uppitycats was driving at but to me it appears as though it was a fairly all inclusive answer to the original post. And my answer was primarily towards wine and liquor obviously not to weapons which if the airport doesn't get we hope the ship does. But in any event it would be a great way to loose customers.

Archived