"Alaska" food in main dining room

toddnjamie

We will be on The Radiance of the Seas for the June 23rd sailing from Seward. My husband is curious if there will be any Alaskan food served in the main dining room.......mainly crab legs! Anybody know?

The most expensive place in the world to buy Alaska seafood is..............Alaska.

The cruise lines generally cannot afford to buy seafood in Alaska.

We do however, buy Alaska Salmon has been processed, frozen, and shipped to Los Angeles, stored there for a few years, then shipped back to Seattle or Vancouver.

It's much cheaper - and not nearly as tasty.

Alaska Mussels are very good, fresh, and reasonably priced. But the U.S. Public Health Service insists that we freeze them before we cook them and serve them to you.

This requires too much time, space, and manpower to make it feasible, so most cruise lines do not bother with them.

We are not required to freeze them before feeding them to the crew, so on my ship, we do buy them and feed them to the crew only.

Alaska Crab and Halibut is expensive no matter where you buy it. It is very rare that cruise line food budgets will allow us to buy any. This is one of the side-effects of those incredibly cheap cruise fares.

I have to agree about the seafood on cruise ships in general. It is pretty lame and when I can smell the fish before it even gets to the table...no thanks. The one exception to this, IMO and FYI, is the dover sole served in Murano (specialty rest.) on Celebrity. It is really, really good. However for $50 a head, I guess it had better be good! LOL:D

• 2 months later...

ALL crab is flash frozen on the crab boats....and then shipped to wherever. Only way to have "fresh" crab is to have your own subsistence crab pot and go crabbing in December in the arctic seas...:) Real Alaskan food consists of fish, moose, caribou, seal, muktuk, Walrus, Mt. goat, sheep.....most people would not eat it....and it would not have a USDA approval rating...:) It is, however, pretty wonderful food.....

On HAL's Amsterdam this July, there were lots of salmon entrees, crab legs, shrimp, and halibut offered. All of the seafood entrees that I tried were very good.

The only item that I did not enjoy were the huge shrimp served in the Pinnacle Grill as their "Jumbo Shrimp Cocktail". Jumbo on the huge size they were, but they were tasteless and 2 of the 3 were mealy in their interior. (I was not alone in my opinion of this dish by others who dined in the PG on other evenings.)