Offline text apps

Antnkel

I assume that the OP is referring to applications such as Facebook Messenger, which allow you to enter text messages for recipients even when you're offline, then will send those messages to the server whenever you reconnect to the network, then will deliver those messages to the recipient whenever they reconnect to the network.

Interesting. Not a Facebook user for many many years so I had no idea such a thing existed. Sounds useless though, at least on a ship if you're truly offline and trying communicate with others on the ship who are also offline. Maybe OP wants to type messages to people on land and have them sent while in port using wifi?

I have more questions than answers.

Interesting. Not a Facebook user for many many years so I had no idea such a thing existed. Sounds useless though, at least on a ship if you're truly offline and trying communicate with others on the ship who are also offline.
I don't know about that. It's really a very direct analog to the "leaving a note on the stateroom dresser" or "slip a note under/tape a note to the stateroom door" approach we would have used a decade ago: You would write a note for your traveling companions. Then you would have to go back to the staterooms to leave the note there. Then the recipient of the note would have to go back to the staterooms to see if there is a note for them. Then they would receive the note and read it.

Facebook Messenger just eliminates the need to "go back to the staterooms" parts of that process.

Princess has Princess@Sea app which is connected to the ship's intranet, not internet, and free of charge. With it, you can send text message to your group mates on board. However, it does not have notification and needed to be checked manually for any possible message received.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We don't mainly because offline it only works if the mesh is so tight that messages can get through. That means an unbroken chain of Firechat users, with the app open and running, from sender to receiver. You might get lucky and it might work between midship pool and aft pool, the chances of it working from the midship pool down to a mid-ship cabin on Deck five is pretty slim.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

There are apps like firechat that let you text when no network or internet is available, but they have a maximum range. Just wondered if any one had heard of them?

There are numerous problems with these on a ship, the first and foremost being that the ship is a big metal can that stops a lot of these transmissions. I suggest using google to see what you can find about their use on board cruise ships.

There are apps like firechat that let you text when no network or internet is available, but they have a maximum range. Just wondered if any one had heard of them?

I hadn't heard about this app. Sounds interesting IF it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

I think would work if enough people used it. Because it works like a mesh network it can bounce a message from one device to another. I would think it would work with as little as 100-200 spread around the ship. I think you just need to spread the word so that everyone loads it up on their phones. It works on both iOS and Android and it's free. You just need to sign up before the cruise.