Volendam vs. Nieuw Amsterdam

Italy52

We took a cruise to Alaska on the NA this past July and really enjoyed the ship. I am doing some research for 2018 and noticed that the Volendam has the same itinerary at a lower price than the NA. Can someone tell me the difference between the two ships? We really enjoyed the Pinnacle Grill, Marketplace and wrap-around walking deck on the NA if that is of any help when replying to my question.

Nieuw Amsterdam is a Signature class ship -- much larger -- has 2106 passengers. It also has the Silk Den and the Tamarind restaurant which we love.

Volendam is an R class ship -- smaller -- has 1432 passengers. It does have the Marketplace, wrap-around walking deck. The Pinnacle Grill is on the Promenade Deck -- inside -- only 3 windows looking into the hallway.

I love the Volendam, as she and the Noordam are my favorite ships. The Volendam has larger cabins and verandas than the Signature class ship. She is also built to make long voyages and is more intimate. We did a 30 day cruise on the Volendam and were very comfortable. I think that it just depends if you want a larger ship with a few more venues or a smaller ship that offers a different atmosphere.

If you are considering repeating the itinerary, then the Volendam sailing on a Wednesday means the ports (and the airport at the end of the cruise) aren't as crowded as they were with a Saturday sailing.

That makes it easier to walk the streets, find places on shore excursions, and just enjoy the ports.