Room decorations for Christmas cruise

ChipFire

Hi fellow cruisers, We are going on the Pride for Christmas it's a surprise to the family. I'm wondering what we can bring onboard to make this vacation on Christmas one of the best ever. Can we put wrapping paper on the cabin door I hear Michaels has mini trees please help with your ideas. I'm sure I will have to tell my wife but I hope not to tell the kids until the day before thanks my cruising family:)

Carnival just changed their rules for door decorations and other types of decor. All must be fire retardant, not just sprayed with a retardant.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Forums mobile app

Mishka is correct.

The fire retardant rule has been in effect for some time.

The most recent announcement added a line about nothing hanging on the lights and included that the decorations ordered through the fun shop are now in compliance.

My personal opinion is that they will now enforce their rules. Prior to their decorations meeting the requirements one could have argued their own decorations violated the policy.

To the OP I would be careful about devoting luggage space to something you might not be able to use.

Our friends just got off the Pride two weeks ago,their decorations were removed from the cabin door. When they were up on deck,the second day out.They never even got them back on the last day.

So don't spend a lot on decoration, if they think there not fire retardant you may lose them.

We had a whole bag of decorations ready, to decorate the cabin & the door (NOT THIS TRIP). Fire retardant decoration are hard to fine

HAVE WONDERFUL TRIP

Ginger

I have several sheets of window clings that I was going to bring for our Christmas cruise on the Dream but it sounds like they won't be allowed. I looked in the Fun Shops and didn't see any Christmas decorations.

If there not fire retardant, I'd leave them home.

Been looking on the web all day, for fire retardant decorations with no luck.

Guess I'll be leaving all my nice Christmas decorations, 12/18

Ginger

We brought a short string of Christmas lights, and put them up over the vanity, then used a bag of foil bows to decorate the door, and put a small stocking on the door with candy canes. The only thing not meeting the guidelines would be the stocking. Our steward was very enamored with the lights, so we gave them to her the last night, and she was thrilled.

• Like 1

If there not fire retardant, I'd leave them home.

Been looking on the web all day, for fire retardant decorations with no luck.

Guess I'll be leaving all my nice Christmas decorations, 12/18

Ginger

Let me know if you find any. We also leave Dec. 18-Dream for the Caribbean.

We brought a short string of Christmas lights, and put them up over the vanity, then used a bag of foil bows to decorate the door, and put a small stocking on the door with candy canes. The only thing not meeting the guidelines would be the stocking. Our steward was very enamored with the lights, so we gave them to her the last night, and she was thrilled.

This must have been prior to the rules changed for decorations.

I believe the policy no longer allows string lites of any kind.

I can help! I am a HUGE Christmas person and I spoil my loved one's rotten this one day a year. I was very worried about feeling in the spirit without all the trimmings from home.

But I made a tropical christmas with:

1) gel clings. You can put them on the window or mirrors. We got ones that look like giant old fashioned multi-colored bubls. Gives the idea of lights without violating the rules.

2) command hooks with "stockings." Now last cruise we used the dollar tree kind and trashed them at the end. I am concerned they will take those, so we are going back to their roots and getting men's socks with a Christmas theme and hanging those after running a metal ring through them. Santa can even fill them with candy, gift cards and little knick knacks

3) metal advent calendar. I just got one off @mazon that is 12" round and will hang between the stockings on another command hook.

4) collapsible foil tinsel trees. Now I am not sure about this one. But it is flame retardant because it is only made of PVC and foil. They made a 3' and 4' set last year at T@rget and swayed beautifully with the rock of the ship and glittered like it had lights.

5) advent battery candles. You can find all kinds of holders (I made my own with 5 glass votive stars) and on line you can find batter votives with the blue/purple and pink colors and then just get a white to go with it.

All in all, the room was very festive. We checked our main luggage but flew with one suit case as a carry on with all the kids gifts (small things like 3DSs, cameras, books, games, puzzles etc) packed, along with gift bags, tissue paper, 2 rolls of wrapping paper (cut in half), tape and scissors. They each had their traditional gift of Christmas PJs (opened on Christmas eve) which, since we were tropical was cotton x-mass boxers and a t-shirt. We also picked up some t-shirts and miscellaneous things along the way. It was fantastic to have our boys climb on our bed and open all the gifts.

I can help! I am a HUGE Christmas person and I spoil my loved one's rotten this one day a year. I was very worried about feeling in the spirit without all the trimmings from home.

But I made a tropical christmas with:

1) gel clings. You can put them on the window or mirrors. We got ones that look like giant old fashioned multi-colored bubls. Gives the idea of lights without violating the rules.

2) command hooks with "stockings." Now last cruise we used the dollar tree kind and trashed them at the end. I am concerned they will take those, so we are going back to their roots and getting men's socks with a Christmas theme and hanging those after running a metal ring through them. Santa can even fill them with candy, gift cards and little knick knacks

3) metal advent calendar. I just got one off @mazon that is 12" round and will hang between the stockings on another command hook.

4) collapsible foil tinsel trees. Now I am not sure about this one. But it is flame retardant because it is only made of PVC and foil. They made a 3' and 4' set last year at T@rget and swayed beautifully with the rock of the ship and glittered like it had lights.

5) advent battery candles. You can find all kinds of holders (I made my own with 5 glass votive stars) and on line you can find batter votives with the blue/purple and pink colors and then just get a white to go with it.

All in all, the room was very festive. We checked our main luggage but flew with one suit case as a carry on with all the kids gifts (small things like 3DSs, cameras, books, games, puzzles etc) packed, along with gift bags, tissue paper, 2 rolls of wrapping paper (cut in half), tape and scissors. They each had their traditional gift of Christmas PJs (opened on Christmas eve) which, since we were tropical was cotton x-mass boxers and a t-shirt. We also picked up some t-shirts and miscellaneous things along the way. It was fantastic to have our boys climb on our bed and open all the gifts.

Was this last year before the new rules? People need to be aware that if they go to all this trouble their decorations may be confiscated. I can see now all the threads on CC and posts on facebook complaining after the Holidays.

Was this last year before the new rules? People need to be aware that if they go to all this trouble their decorations may be confiscated. I can see now all the threads on CC and posts on facebook complaining after the Holidays.

Yes this was last year - we are not to Christmas season yet. But everything I have listed is flame retardant. They can't take your socks - that's clothing - I just happen to chose to hang them on the wall. Command hooks are allowed. So are battery candles, a metal advent wreath etc, even by their own new rules. The only thing that is questionable is the tinsel tree. And if they take it, so what? It was a whopping $30 for the set.

Where can you find fire retardant window clings or other Christmas decorations?

We found ours at T@rget. But there are also lots at @mazon.

Here is the policy for those that need it:

We recognize some of our guests like to decorate their staterooms and we, too, love seeing your creative decorations. However, for safety reasons, we must ask that you abide by the following guidelines for decorating your stateroom door as well as the interior of your stateroom.

In the interest of guest and crew safety, effective with cruises departing October 31, 2016 and onward, the following stateroom decoration policies will be instituted and strictly enforced:

Decorations may consist only of fire retardant materials. Please note that items sprayed with fire retardant spray are not acceptable

Decorations may only be placed on the stateroom door and not the surrounding frame, walls or railings

You may use magnets and Command Strips but no adhesives such as tape or glue that may leave a residue

Over-the-door hanging organizers must hang inside the stateroom, must also be of fire retardant material and cannot damage the door

No decorations of any kind are allowed on balconies

No decorations or items may be placed over light fittings or fixtures. This may restrict the airflow and cause the item to ignite

No string lights of any kind are allowed

For the safety of all guests and crew, any decorations not made of fire retardant material or deemed flammable, will be removed and no compensation will be provided.

Edited by A&Jfamily

Just got back from Walmart & Target, None of the Christmas decorations, were marked fire retartdant on the packages. So I called the Diamond club to ask a few questions.

I was told the foil trees are not aloud either. And big NO to the spray on retardant

Just got back from Walmart & Target, None of the Christmas decorations, were marked fire retartdant on the packages. So I called the Diamond club to ask a few questions.

I was told the foil trees are not aloud either. And big NO to the spray on retardant

Like I said, the trees are questionable. They technically are fire retardant because of the materials they are made of. If CCL takes them, so be it as I would not have another use for them.

Am I taking my felt advent calendar? Nope. Doesn't comply, thus the metal one. Am I taking dollar tree stockings? Nope. Doesn't comply, thus socks for DH. Battery candles (allowed), glass dish for battery candle (allowed), gifts (allowed).

So the only question left is the gel clings. I truly don't think they are going to take your gel clings stuck to the mirror; after all, are they going to take your obviously flammable paper post it notes?

Right now, Carnival does not offer Christmas decorations. I asked John Heald last year to come up with something; so until they do, I have to think outside the box.

Battery operated candles are allowed, but not battery operated string lights? I get not allowing the electric string lights, but banning ALL string lights, even battery operated ones while still allowing battery operated candles doesn't make sense to me. If they are really going after "fire hazards on a ship", then shouldn't they go ahead and ban the hair straighteners and curling irons too? If it's about getting people to purchase their decorations (which I don't necessarily think that it is), then they need to offer more than birthday, anniversary, wedding and general cruise themes and add in some or all holidays too.

whats your take on doing a lipstick mural on the mirror I once saw a pic of people drawing on there mirrors hearts and stuff maybe there now difference between a heart and a tree or am I pushing it? I'm just sayin!!!

Draw away...but promise your room steward you will remove it!:eek: Heck, you could fingerpaint the thing! But cleaning it...that's a little much to ask of your steward! I truly don't think they are gonna mess with the gels...but if they do, what are you out? $5?