Zeebrugge

suzzek

We will be in port June 10 in Zeebrugge. I have not found too much info about things to do, highlights, etc. I have gathered from a few things I've read that it is pretty easy DIY. Any special recommendations for our day?

We will be in port June 10 in Zeebrugge. I have not found too much info about things to do, highlights, etc. I have gathered from a few things I've read that it is pretty easy DIY. Any special recommendations for our day?

You want to visit Bruges - short tram/train/combo (dependent on how quickly the first train departs) or taxi ride (about 20 minutes) from Zeebrugge. Tons to do/see in Bruges - it is lovely!

Why don't you post taxi share posts on your roll call?

As Dog4's post, the vast majority head to Bruges (also spelt Brugge) for the day.

Probably the best bet for first-timers.

Or you can take the kusttram to the nearby seaside resort of Blankenberge - or a little further to Ostende (also spelt Oostende). Or, if you're feeing a little more energetic, to just beyond Ostend the Atlantic Wall fortifications & museum at Raversijde.

The train from Blankenberge to Brussels or Antwerp is also possible

Google those places

JB :)

I’d definitely recommend visiting Brugge(Bruges)

We visited it on our land vacation from Germany and while sailing on Princess ship.

I’m not sure which line you are sailing with, but we were docked in industrial dock and Princess provided free shuttles to Blankenberge (not to the station, we had to walk for a bit, but not too long). We took a train to Brugge I believe for 7EU round trip.

Brugge looks like an old town from a fairytale.

It is very walkable, but I definitely recommend taking a boat trip through the canals.

And visit one of chocolate stores!

Yep! Another vote for heading over to Bruges. Was one of our favorite cities we've been to. Lot's to see, easy to walk around, things to eat (Belgian waffles!!) and just a nice, historical city. When we docked, there were shuttle buses parked right next to the ship, it was like 20 Euros/person for a R/T ticket to Bruges.

Or you can take the kusttram to the nearby seaside resort of Blankenberge - or a little further to Ostende (also spelt Oostende). Or, if you're feeing a little more energetic, to just beyond Ostend the Atlantic Wall fortifications & museum at Raversijde.

:)

The Kusttram takes a couple of hours altogether from Knokke (chic seaside resort) to De Panne (family seaside resort) with Oostende roughly in the middle. I paid EUR 6 for an all-day ticket last year and trams are every 10 minutes. De Lijn has all the timetables and connections.

Yep! Another vote for heading over to Bruges. Was one of our favorite cities we've been to. Lot's to see, easy to walk around, things to eat (Belgian waffles!!) and just a nice, historical city. When we docked, there were shuttle buses parked right next to the ship, it was like 20 Euros/person for a R/T ticket to Bruges.

What cruise line were you on? We are thinking of booking a transatlantic cruise on the Crown Princess next year from South Hampton to FLL, which includes Bruges

What cruise line were you on? We are thinking of booking a transatlantic cruise on the Crown Princess next year from South Hampton to FLL, which includes Bruges

We were on Carnival. The shuttle buses weren't from Carnival though. They were just from the local company there. It was so great and easy!

Were you on a Royal Carib ship? I’d love to hear more about the shuttles-that may be exactly what I need. I’ve had 2 knee replacements and don’t like to walk much or stand for long periods of time. How close do the shuttles get to the Square or Market?

Were you on a Royal Carib ship? I’d love to hear more about the shuttles-that may be exactly what I need. I’ve had 2 knee replacements and don’t like to walk much or stand for long periods of time. How close do the shuttles get to the Square or Market?

Oops, sorry-just saw where you said Carnival-still interested in how close they get you to the center of town where “tourist” things are. We also want to do a canal tour-did you do that?

Tour buses (about 40+ passengers) such as those used by cruise lines for "Bruges on your own" aren't allowed in the cobbled city centre - they have to drop / collect at bus stands near Minnewater.

That's a 15 - 20 minute walk from Grotemarkt - OK for most but sounds like it wouldn't be for you..

There is (was?) a local bus which provides a shuttle service between the bus stands and Grotemarkt for a couple of euros, but you could do with more-recent info about its frequency etc.

I frequently drove tour buses to Bruges & don't recall ever seeing any taxis near the bus stands.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/dir/51.1980129,3.2260073/Grote+Markt,+Markt,+Bruges,+Belgium/@51.2034471,3.216748,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m9!4m8!1m0!1m5!1m1!1s0x47c350d00d916a9f:0x26f3e1c3e74fe47b!2m2!1d3.2243733!2d51.2088569!3e2

Bruges train station to Grotemarkt involves a similar walk, there'll be taxis at the station but I don't know about buses.

Probably your best bet is a taxi or shared van from the port to Grotemarkt. They can be pre-booked, or you could check your RollCall for anyone organising a van & seeking sharers. The journey is about 12 miles / 20 minutes. I think the cost is a hefty €50 each-way, but that's not bad shared between 4 to 6 people.

Bruges is absolutely delightful! And as said the tour buses, regardless of which cruise line you are with, Park at a bus parking lot which is a moderate walk from historic area. We did a ships tour on our first visit and on our second we split a taxi with two ladies from our roll call, and the taxi dropped us off right in the market area. The taxi pickup and return to the ship were prearranged and I remember the price being 50€ each way (split since we shared)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oops, sorry-just saw where you said Carnival-still interested in how close they get you to the center of town where “tourist” things are. We also want to do a canal tour-did you do that?

So as others already said, no, it didn't take us to the city center. There really didn't seem to be much in the way of traffic to get you there, most people walk. Very little traffic. It was about a 15 minute walk to start getting to the things we wanted to see though.

We did the churches, chocolate and waffles, the torture museum, the chocolate museum (that was a waste of time, IMO!), and yes, we did a canal tour. I wish we had done the canal tour earlier when it wasn't so busy. They cram as many people as they can allow onto the boats, and it was a long wait for the ride. We got the crappy middle seats and I had a hard time getting some pictures. We happened to have some obnoxious people on our boat, just wasn't a super enjoyable ride. So I would recommend doing it early.

This is everything we did...

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2527009

We also want to do a canal tour-did you do that?

There are a number of boat operators, I'm fairly certain they all charge the same price, & they have berths at different points along same round-trip route - so the only difference is your start-and-finish point.

All the boats are about the same size, and they're all open boats - they have to be to get under the bridges.

An enjoyable & relaxing experience, as long as it's not raining.

Doing the boat ride early won't work for cruisers, other day-trippers will be in town before cruisers - but yes, as early as you can, especially if it looks like rain is on the way.

Doing the boat ride early won't work for cruisers, other day-trippers will be in town before cruisers - but yes, as early as you can, especially if it looks like rain is on the way.

When we were there, the shops weren't even open yet as we walked into town. Everything was still very quiet and calm. By the time we finished our first church, got a waffle, and did the next church, it was quite busy everywhere. We walked past several canal tour spots earlier in the day and they weren't as crowded as when we finally got around to it. It was the last thing we did before we went back to the ship. So I would say if you can do it earlier, and you notice the crowds aren't so bad, then do it. :D

We were on Carnival. The shuttle buses weren't from Carnival though. They were just from the local company there. It was so great and easy!

Oh my! I'm so used to saying we were on Carnival, since that's most of our cruises, but for our European one we were on Royal Caribbean! Duh! LOL!! But the shuttle buses still weren't from them.

Thanks for all the great suggestions for our upcoming trip to Brugge. We will be on Celebrity, and will look into a shared taxi from members on the roll call. Looking forward to chocolate and a canal trip, and hoping to avoid rain!

When we were there, the shops weren't even open yet as we walked into town. Everything was still very quiet and calm. By the time we finished our first church, got a waffle, and did the next church, it was quite busy everywhere. We walked past several canal tour spots earlier in the day and they weren't as crowded as when we finally got around to it. It was the last thing we did before we went back to the ship. So I would say if you can do it earlier, and you notice the crowds aren't so bad, then do it. :D

Thank you Cindy for your review. We are booked on a transatlantic on the Crown Princess. All these ports are new to me. I am very interested in the Canal Tour. Could you tell me how much these tours are and how long do they last. Thanks again.

Sandra

Thank you Cindy for your review. We are booked on a transatlantic on the Crown Princess. All these ports are new to me. I am very interested in the Canal Tour. Could you tell me how much these tours are and how long do they last. Thanks again.

Sandra

https://www.visitbruges.be/en/bruggemetdeboot

8€

Tatka, thanks again. My credit card company doesn't charge and exchange rate fee so I am going to use it as much as possible. I am so confused on the money and exchanges. I have a lot to learn.

Sandra

Looks like someone responded and gave you the info you need. I wouldn't have remembered how much they were, but I would remember that they weren't expensive. And it was like 30 minutes R/T.