World's Largest Cruise Ship

B-52

They definitely missed the fact check, the Solstice is no where near the largest cruise ship. According to NauticalCities.com there are 15 ships currently sailing or under construction that are larger than the Solstice. It is Celebrity's biggest ship.

Regardless of the factual error it is a beautiful ship. Hopefully I will be sailing on her next fall.

And the editor did not catch the writer's erroneous use of a punctuation mark. The writer used "it's" when "its" is correct in the context used.

It's "its"!

Okay, look. I'm a grammar snob. If you want to be able to communicate with others, you need to wrap that communication up in an easily digested package. You need to pay considerable attention to the form and structure of what you're saying as well as the content. Careless use of language instills in the reader a lack of confidence in the writer. In the academic world, poor grammar is often a further impediment towards the understanding of already complex material.

One particular error that never ceases to make me cringe is the misuse of the words "it's" and "its". The distinction between "it's" and "its" was first conveyed to me with great intensity in the eighth grade, by the venerable Donna George at West Island College in Montreal. For years thereafter I suppressed my anger at the apostrophical affront, playing the stoic as best I could. But as I grow older and more curmudgeonly, and as the grammatical fibre of our society erodes, my tolerance for this typographical trespass trickles away.

Here, then, is my defiant outpost, my barricade against the teeming masses who would overrun the world with superfluous apostrophes (or, less often, withhold those apostrophes when they are so rightly required). Of course, I would rather build a classroom than a fortress, and so here follows a lesson in the correct usage of the words "it's" and "its". Be kind to your friend the apostrophe.

It's

"It's" is a contraction. It is short for "it is" (or occasionally for "it has"). It's not a way to ascribe a property to some "it". Yes, I know that this would make sense given that the general rule for forming a possessive is to tack on "'s": fool's errand, brewer's yeast, horse's ass. "It's" is an exception to this rule, and I honestly apologize on behalf of the infuriating English language. I didn't invent this stupid rule, but it's hardwired into my brain like gender of nouns to French speakers.

Examples:

It's a small world, after all. It's a small world, after all. It's a small world, after all. It's a small world, after all.

You do the hokey pokey and you turn yourself around, that's what it's all about.

Well, it's been a long, been a long, been a long, been a long day.

Its

"Its" is a possessive pronoun. Its interpretation is something like "that which belongs to it", where "it" stands for some previously defined object. In the previous sentence, the object being referred to is the word "its", and the thing that belongs to it is its interpretation.

Examples:

He left it dead, and with its head he went galumphing back

Love rears its ugly head.

Using them correctly

With practice, it's easy to tell these two devilish words apart. To help you keep them separate, here are some handy tips:

* Try replacing your "it's" with "it is" in the sentence. If the sentence becomes obviously wrong, you probably meant to use "its". If it sounds okay, "it's" can stay.

Example: "Nothing can take it's place" can't be right, because "Nothing can take it is place" is nonsense. You probably mean "Nothing can take its place".

Example: "It's not easy being green". Well, "It is not easy" is right, so the original sentence is okay.

* Try replacing your "its" with "his" in the sentence. If it comes out sounding right, "its" can stay.

Example: "That's just its way of making friends" must be okay, because "That's just his way of making friends" is grammatical.

In general, "its" as a possessive is like "his". You wouldn't write "hi's", would you? Well, maybe you would if you were talking about something belonging to Hiram...

* Look at the word that follows "its" or "it's". A noun means that you want "its". An adjective probably indicates "it's". This isn't always true, but it's a half-decent rule of thumb.

Example: "The cat licks its tongue into the corners of the evening". "Tongue" is a noun. I probably don't mean "it is tongue", so I'll stick with "its".

Where to go from here

Misuse of the apostrophe carries over into the confusion between the plural and possessive forms of nouns. This is in some sense less forgivable, since the rule is much more general. Plural nouns require an "s", and possessives require an "'s". Never ever write something like

The twelve day's of Christmas

That's just wrong, and shouldn't require much thought. If you make this deplorable error, Bob the Angry Flower will descend on you and mess you up.

Admittedly, rules involving the apostrophe get somewhat fuzzy in places. I find it hard to pluralize a word like "printf" used as a noun, as in "This function contains twenty-two printfs", since that can lead to confusion. I would simply avoid the issue: "This function contains twenty-two occurrences of printf".

Conclusion

I'm glad I finally got that off my chest. Sorry to drag on for so long, but this really is important. If you want to be understood, you need to present your thoughts in a way that leaves the fewest barriers to comprehension. The error described here doesn't derail the reader, but it does present a speed bump, a momentary mental hiccup from which one must recover. A moment's thought while writing can make for a smooth ride later on.

I'm not alone in my concern for the proper use of the apostrophe. If you're still looking for answers, I'm sure you can find any number of other sources of information.

from

http://www.cgl.uwaterloo.ca/~csk/its.html

The It's vs. Its page

If you're confused by these two little words, you've come to the right place. (Not that there aren't other right places.)

It's is a contraction for it is or it has.

Its is a possessive pronoun meaning, more or less, of it or belonging to it.

And there is absolutely, positively, no such word as its'.

A simple test

If you can replace it[']s in your sentence with it is or it has, then your word is it's; otherwise, your word is its.

Another test

Its is the neuter version of his and her. Try plugging her into your sentence where you think its belongs. If the sentence still works grammatically (if not logically) then your word is indeed its.

Examples

It's been good to know you. Contraction: it has

It's a bird! It's a plane! Contraction: it is

The dodo bird is known for its inability to fly. Possessive pronoun: its inability = the dodo bird's inability

from

http://www.stormloader.com/garyes/its/#top

Maybe the largest ship constructed in Germany but not the largest. Someone did not check their facts.

You are correct. I saw a different article that properly described Solstice as the largest cruise ship produced by that particular German shipyard.

It's "its"!

Okay, look. I'm a grammar snob. If you want to be able to communicate with others, you need to wrap that communication up in an easily digested package. You need to pay considerable attention to the form and structure of what you're saying as well as the content. Careless use of language instills in the reader a lack of confidence in the writer. In the academic world, poor grammar is often a further impediment towards the understanding of already complex material.

One particular error that never ceases to make me cringe is the misuse of the words "it's" and "its". The distinction between "it's" and "its" was first conveyed to me with great intensity in the eighth grade, by the venerable Donna George at West Island College in Montreal. For years thereafter I suppressed my anger at the apostrophical affront, playing the stoic as best I could. But as I grow older and more curmudgeonly, and as the grammatical fibre of our society erodes, my tolerance for this typographical trespass trickles away.

Here, then, is my defiant outpost, my barricade against the teeming masses who would overrun the world with superfluous apostrophes (or, less often, withhold those apostrophes when they are so rightly required). Of course, I would rather build a classroom than a fortress, and so here follows a lesson in the correct usage of the words "it's" and "its". Be kind to your friend the apostrophe.

It's

"It's" is a contraction. It is short for "it is" (or occasionally for "it has"). It's not a way to ascribe a property to some "it". Yes, I know that this would make sense given that the general rule for forming a possessive is to tack on "'s": fool's errand, brewer's yeast, horse's ass. "It's" is an exception to this rule, and I honestly apologize on behalf of the infuriating English language. I didn't invent this stupid rule, but it's hardwired into my brain like gender of nouns to French speakers.

Examples:

It's a small world, after all. It's a small world, after all. It's a small world, after all. It's a small world, after all.

You do the hokey pokey and you turn yourself around, that's what it's all about.

Its

"Its" is a possessive pronoun. Its interpretation is something like "that which belongs to it", where "it" stands for some previously defined object. In the previous sentence, the object being referred to is the word "its", and the thing that belongs to it is its interpretation.

Examples:

Using them correctly

With practice, it's easy to tell these two devilish words apart. To help you keep them separate, here are some handy tips:

* Try replacing your "it's" with "it is" in the sentence. If the sentence becomes obviously wrong, you probably meant to use "its". If it sounds okay, "it's" can stay.

Example: "Nothing can take it's place" can't be right, because "Nothing can take it is place" is nonsense. You probably mean "Nothing can take its place".

Example: "It's not easy being green". Well, "It is not easy" is right, so the original sentence is okay.

* Try replacing your "its" with "his" in the sentence. If it comes out sounding right, "its" can stay.

Example: "That's just its way of making friends" must be okay, because "That's just his way of making friends" is grammatical.

In general, "its" as a possessive is like "his". You wouldn't write "hi's", would you? Well, maybe you would if you were talking about something belonging to Hiram...

* Look at the word that follows "its" or "it's". A noun means that you want "its". An adjective probably indicates "it's". This isn't always true, but it's a half-decent rule of thumb.

Example: "The cat licks its tongue into the corners of the evening". "Tongue" is a noun. I probably don't mean "it is tongue", so I'll stick with "its".

Where to go from here

Misuse of the apostrophe carries over into the confusion between the plural and possessive forms of nouns. This is in some sense less forgivable, since the rule is much more general. Plural nouns require an "s", and possessives require an "'s". Never ever write something like

That's just wrong, and shouldn't require much thought. If you make this deplorable error, Bob the Angry Flower will descend on you and mess you up.

Admittedly, rules involving the apostrophe get somewhat fuzzy in places. I find it hard to pluralize a word like "printf" used as a noun, as in "This function contains twenty-two printfs", since that can lead to confusion. I would simply avoid the issue: "This function contains twenty-two occurrences of printf".

Conclusion

I'm glad I finally got that off my chest. Sorry to drag on for so long, but this really is important. If you want to be understood, you need to present your thoughts in a way that leaves the fewest barriers to comprehension. The error described here doesn't derail the reader, but it does present a speed bump, a momentary mental hiccup from which one must recover. A moment's thought while writing can make for a smooth ride later on.

I'm not alone in my concern for the proper use of the apostrophe. If you're still looking for answers, I'm sure you can find any number of other sources of information.

from

The It's vs. Its page

If you're confused by these two little words, you've come to the right place. (Not that there aren't other right places.)

A simple test

If you can replace it[']s in your sentence with it is or it has, then your word is it's; otherwise, your word is its.

Another test

Its is the neuter version of his and her. Try plugging her into your sentence where you think its belongs. If the sentence still works grammatically (if not logically) then your word is indeed its.

Examples

The dodo bird is known for its inability to fly. Possessive pronoun: its inability = the dodo bird's inability

from

Hmmmm. I, on the other hand, am in favor of creativity. ;) I refuse to use spell check on general principles (I was tempted to use "principals" - just to spite the English teacher who drilled into us "my pal the principal" to remind us which one referred to the head of a school).

BTW, if I were so tempted - as to use spell check - it would probably tell me that your "apostrophical affront" should be "apostrophic affront"......:D

I saw this article earlier and the huge error stuck out instantly.

They seem to have confused the fact that Solstice is the largest ship constructed in Germany, not the world.

As it currently stands, the biggest in the world (in order) are Freedom class, Queen Mary 2, Voyager Class, Solstice Class, the Caribbean Princess of the Grand Class, and finally the rest of the Grand Class ships.

Eventually, the Carnival Dream will surpass Solstice by 8,000GRT.

It's "its"!

Holy crap!!!

It is too much information for me

Its too much information for me

It's too much information for me

Its' too much information for me

Oh, forget it... just TOO MUCH INFO period!:D derf... you have killed my brain. (not that it was a life worth saving)

It's "its"!

It's

Examples:

Its

Examples:

Using them correctly

Where to go from here

Conclusion

from

The It's vs. Its page

A simple test

Another test

Examples

Good. Now tackle "their, they're and there", "know and no", too and to"

"off and of", "I saw and I seen","principle and principal", capital and capitol.....SOOO many, hmmm?

Archived