How does Oosterdam compare?

Tananda

I have cruised twice on the NA and once on the Eurodam. Really enjoyed both ships, but they are not cruising from the east coast next spring when we want to travel and don't want to fly to California. Thus we booked the tropical Caribbean on the Oosterdam. We booked a cabana as we are spoiled by that experience now. How does Oosterdam compare to the other ships we sailed?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

I have cruised twice on the NA and once on the Eurodam. Really enjoyed both ships, but they are not cruising from the east coast next spring when we want to travel and don't want to fly to California. Thus we booked the tropical Caribbean on the Oosterdam. We booked a cabana as we are spoiled by that experience now. How does Oosterdam compare to the other ships we sailed?

It is from the slightly older and a bit smaller class of HAL ships (than yours). It lacks the Tamarind specialty dining for one thing, but otherwise has pretty much the same options and layout (as I recall).

It is from the slightly older and a bit smaller class of HAL ships (than yours). It lacks the Tamarind specialty dining for one thing, but otherwise has pretty much the same options and layout (as I recall).

Good summary. I would add the Vista class ships like the Oosterdam feel more utilitarian - everything works and feels efficient, but the NA has a little more mystery and intrigue in its layout. We have spent a lot of time on the Oosterdam and they have all been very good cruises. The changes in the libraries of course is now a downside on a lot of HAL ships. But that is long done.

Quite frankly, other than the section w/ Tamarind and Silk Den missing, the only difference I saw was decor.....which has since been updated on Oosterdam. For the most part, it's the same ship. In fact, my first 2 cruises on HAL were NA and Zuiderdam and at the time, I didn't even know they were 2 different classes.

After three sailings on the O'dam, we did two on the E'dam. It is hard to tell the difference (other than decor). E'dam has an extra deck dropped on top of the same basic platform. I would really miss the Tamarind if we sailed on one of the Vista class ships. Just came off a week on the Koningsdam and that felt different but they all "feel" like HAL.

Thank you all! DH really liked Tamarind...we are there twice on our Alaska cruise. However, he is not joining me this time. Mom is traveling with me and is not a specialty restaurant fan. So I guess it is safe to assume that we will have another fabulous cruise. Thanks, again!