Hiring a Private Taxi at the Pier not Ahead of time

molly361

Has anyone had success in hiring a private taxi at the pier instead of doing it ahead of time? If so what was the cost for 3 or 4 hours?

Every time we have been there they always want to pile lots of folks into their vans for the tours.

Just want to know if we could get a private tour right at the pier for just the 2 of us. :) Thanks

Has anyone had success in hiring a private taxi at the pier instead of doing it ahead of time? If so what was the cost for 3 or 4 hours?

Every time we have been there they always want to pile lots of folks into their vans for the tours.

Just want to know if we could get a private tour right at the pier for just the 2 of us. :) Thanks

Here are the rates for the taxis from International Pier.

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/TAXICZM

(If you are at another pier different tabs are available on the site.)

At the end of the table you will see the tours which include waiting time. I believe the island tour rate is for 3 hours. Rates are always listed on a board by the dispatcher and should be confirmed with the driver before leaving. I am sure you could negotiate extra hours. They fill up the vans with people going to similar beach clubs because people like to split the cost. As you can see the prices are for 1-4 ppl and 6-8 ppl in a van. If you just want a car for 2 you only have to say although you will be paying the 1-4 person rate, the price is for the vehicle not per person.

Initially we booked through Tours Plaza because I was more comfortable with that in the beginning, since you knew you were going to get a driver that spoke English and would give a great tour. We have continued to use them because we have become friends, they give excellent service and communications are good during the booking process, but the rates are higher than picking up a taxi at the port.

I do a lot of research before a trip and I know exactly where I want to go now but if you need guidance or suggestions then I wouldn't hesitate to book through Tours Plaza.

Thanks for the info. All we really want to do is drive to the other side of the Island and bar hop a bit:D. The Coz Bar Hop is $57 each and I thought for $114 maybe we could get a private taxi and do the same thing.

Tours Plaza gets $107 for a 3 hour car but I sort of just wanted to "wing it" that way if weather is bad we aren't obligated to get off the ship

Thanks for the info. All we really want to do is drive to the other side of the Island and bar hop a bit:D. The Coz Bar Hop is $57 each and I thought for $114 maybe we could get a private taxi and do the same thing.

Tours Plaza gets $107 for a 3 hour car but I sort of just wanted to "wing it" that way if weather is bad we aren't obligated to get off the ship

It is certainly possible to do it for less money than the bar hop or reserving the driver in advance. I replied on your other thread with taxi rates.

It all depends on what you want from the day. If you know where you want to go or speak Spanish I would say just go for it on the day but make sure you keep the taxi with you and pay for waiting since it is not easy once you get round the east side to just pick up a taxi back - possible, but not easy, and I wouldn't want to risk it if I had to be back for a ship at a certain time.

We have done both the "bar hop" and "driver for the day" and have enjoyed both for different reasons:

With the bar hop you have company and depending on the group you may, or may not enjoy it. We were lucky when we did it that we had about a dozen people and we did have fun but were free at the different locations to hang out alone, or mix. You get a pre-determined "drink/shot" included at each location. Despite the fact that we had visited most of the locations before we learnt new things just because it was a different format and a different guide. There are several people who have done it multiple times and enjoyed it each time.

The "driver for a day", whether booked in advance, or at the pier, has enabled us to completely customize our day stopping where we want, for as long as we want, when we want with our own private group -sometimes just my husband and I, sometimes with extended family.

If you have never been, most of the bars on the east side have some sort of covered area so the weather would have to be really bad to put a complete damper on the day. Obviously nice weather is always preferable!

Archived