Amber Cove vs. Grand Turk (attn fisherfolk!)

1964IceCreamLady

Looking to book a cruise for next Christmas. Family of 5 (family room!!! yea!!!!), either the Koningsdam or Nieuw Statendam. Identical save for first port of call.

Ports of call:

1) Grand Turk or Amber Cove

2) San Juan

3) St Thomas

4) Half Moon Cay

My husband and sons (teens) will want to get in as much fishing as possible, but I want to balance that with family time (my college daughter and me).

I guess my question is for those who fish: is Turks and Caicos a must-fish destination? Assume we will never be back....

I saw that the Amber Cove port has an amazing looking

which fits my FAMILY adventure time demand.

Thoughts??? Thanks for your input!

Been to both both. Amber Cove is set up for the tourist with a swimming pool and stores. You'll need to do an excursion here unless you want to lie by the pool (loungers free). Grand Turk is a beautiful beach, free loungers as well, but they also have a huge free form pool. Again, it's more of a beach day. Check what excursions are listed for each port. I don't remember seeing anything on either for fishing, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I'd vote for Grand Turk over Amber Cove.

Looking to book a cruise for next Christmas. Family of 5 (family room!!! yea!!!!), either the Koningsdam or Nieuw Statendam. Identical save for first port of call.

Ports of call:

1) Grand Turk or Amber Cove

2) San Juan

3) St Thomas

4) Half Moon Cay

My husband and sons (teens) will want to get in as much fishing as possible, but I want to balance that with family time (my college daughter and me).

I guess my question is for those who fish: is Turks and Caicos a must-fish destination? Assume we will never be back....

I saw that the Amber Cove port has an amazing looking

which fits my FAMILY adventure time demand.

Thoughts??? Thanks for your input!

I couldn’t get your video to play, but if this is the 27 Waterfalls excursion, we did it on our 11/11 Carnival sailing and it was fantastic!!! Get water shoes with good soles, or wear some old gym shoes you want to throw away.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 7 months later...

Been to both - Grand Turk was the far more interesting.

Amber Cove was artificial and crowded. But if you like manufactured entertainment, like fake scenery, over-priced shopping malls and gaudy plaster "monuments, this is the place.

Grand Turk is wild, remote and has a deeper charm if you explore it even a little bit on your own. Wild donkeys and one of the Mercury space capsules along with some amazing wild coast beaches and historic buildings in the little town itself. Grand Turk asks one to push the real travel exploration experience more, than just getting handed a "fake" onshore experience like Amber Cove. Even understanding Grand Turks former and more nefarious history as a drug-running stop-over can be educational about the entire Caribbean region. Nothing wrong with teaching global awareness along with travel at at least some of the ports.

Amber Cove is also a good jumping off spot for more extensive island explorations into the rich history of this island. Agree, both may not offer much fishing, but they both do offer unique travel and exploration experiences if you look beyond the dock areas themselves.

Good idea to rent the golf cart on Grand Turk - there is the Osprey Beach Hotel on the beach in the town that has a dive shop and one of the better snorkeling beaches. Worth taking a look there for lunch or a beach stop. http://ospreybeachhotel.com

The "Things to Do" while in Grand Turk on the Osprey Hotel website does include deep sea fishing: http://ospreybeachhotel.com/thingstodo/

Thanks, OlsSalt! We plan on exploring, fly fishing, and snorkling from shore on Grand Turk and Half Moon Cay. Get away from beaten path on both those islands. On Christmas Day we will splurge in St John USVI for an off shore trip. We want to be very laid back and not book back-to-back excursions like we did for Alaska. That got a bit too scheduled AND expensive. Christmas Eve is in San Juan and that will be all walking Old San Juan and eating all the local food! I wish the ship left at 2 am so we could go to the midnight mass (El Misa de Gallos) but...

......... That got a bit too scheduled AND expensive. Christmas Eve is in San Juan and that will be all walking Old San Juan and eating all the local food! I wish the ship left at 2 am so we could go to the midnight mass (El Misa de Gallos) but...

Beware! The dreaded mofongo awaits you in Old San Juan - hope you have better luck than we did at a place known to be the best in town - truly a dish that tastes worse than it both looks and sounds. But where else are you going to try this "national dish" for yourself? https://www.tripsavvy.com/puerto-rican-dish-mofongo-1621969

We sailed the Grand Turk variant of the internary on the K-dam in 2017, excellent itinerary with kids and lots of beach times. There is a good playground on Half Moon Cay but gets hot in the afternon. We had a late arrival and departure from San Juan which was very nice and walked around El Moro with the kids. They have a free shuttle bus that goes around old town. We hadn't been to St Thomas in 10 years and found its improved a lot, however, we went before the hurrican so I hope they have had a chance to recover.

We were going to do the itinerary with Amber Cove next year on the Caribbean Princess but something came up and had to cancel. I don't think you can go wrong either place. In my opinon, from what I've seen, Grand Turk gets a bit of an edge in that it has an actual beach very near the pier so there is no tender wait - and they also have a pool close too. The beach on the south side of the pier is less crowded but doesnt have any loungers. If I recall, most of the loungers on the main beach require payment.

Still a great itinerary. We wanted to do it in 2020 but chose a brand new ship that only goes to St Thomas, St Kitts, and Princess Cays instead.