Norwegian Getaway TV HDMI in port for laptop

iamchrisstone

We are looking to see if the Getaway has HDMI ports on the tv and what do we need to change the input? on the carnival ships that we've been on, they did have the HDMI ports but we had to have an IR controller/phone to change the input channels.

Thanks guys!

Hello All,

We are considering bringing our laptop to connect to the TV in the cabin via HDMI. We are curious as to if this has been done before successfully and if so are we needing anything other than an HDMI cord? I know most TV's in the room does not allow for input switching so this may be an issue. We are wanting to reach out and see if anyone has advice on how to do this?

Thanks All.

I've done it before successfully on its sister ship, the Breakaway - with our balcony staterooms, where the "Sole" brand TV swivel a bit, for easier access to the HDMI port #1. Switching to other (non-functional) HDMI ports not practical as it is firmware blocked, leave the Harmony IR universal remote home ... not needed. Bring a 10' HDMI cable (6' should do, but ...) to connect directly (also, with the proper adapter - Samsung & iOS output) to play/cast directly your own sources.

I have documented this in details before in my earlier reviews. Please remember to reconnect the original HDMI cable for ship's programming & interactive data when finished.

Access for the HDMI is very difficult, if not impossible with Insides & Oceanviews due to its tight TV mount.

It's possible to use Roku to stream but a lot more work ...

Last year on the Pearl I was able to cast video's from my tablet to the TV, no cable needed. I found out the 2nd to the last day of the cruise when I accidentally pushed the source button on the remote. I'd hope that the newer ships would have the same capability.

That's cool!!! How were you able to cast video from your tablet to your TV? Bluetooth, WiFI or some other method? What type of tablet were you using?

Thanks

Edited by Willkr3

To cast (in)directly, it's a complicated setup not intended for most end users, I have a Sony travel laptop that connect wirelessly and re-broadcast the signal (MiFi router function) using WiFi, although ethernet port is preferred. There is no inTERnet access whatsoever, only contents on a local/portable HDD or usb drive/device, etc. It setup inTRAnet access with an unique SSiD to stream, cast (re-broadcast) the signal on the other end (HDTV with the HDMI input, either via a cable or wirelessly using Roku (or something similar ... ) as it has Google's Chromecast support built-in.

iPad or Samsung devices, HDMI cable with the proper adapter/converter (OEM) cable would get the direct signal into the HDMI TV's functioning port. On some ships coming out of dry-dock, my recollection is that some aren't using HDMI as the source, rather with coaxial RG-59 cable (locking ring) so that would render this method useless - as changing input is likely, firmware blocked & disabled, override isn't possible.

It's nice on a sea day and when you don't feel like roaming the ship ... hence, I pack a little "Big Blue" bluetooth speaker alone, for better surround sound audio, sometimes. As always, YMMV.

OK - so if I follow this thread. If I bring a HDMI cable - I should be able to connect my device directly to the TV, use the TV remote to change inputs and display my content on the cabin TV? I was a bit confused about the OP casting comments. So the cabin is a Smart TV & has a Chromecast app? if I bring my laptop with Chromecast loaded - I should be able to cast wirelessly to TV? Would you not need to have purchased onboard WiFi time to be able to do that?

THANKS!

I've done it before successfully on its sister ship, the Breakaway - with our balcony staterooms, where the "Sole" brand TV swivel a bit, for easier access to the HDMI port #1. Switching to other (non-functional) HDMI ports not practical as it is firmware blocked, leave the Harmony IR universal remote home ... not needed. Bring a 10' HDMI cable (6' should do, but ...) to connect directly (also, with the proper adapter - Samsung & iOS output) to play/cast directly your own sources.

I have documented this in details before in my earlier reviews. Please remember to reconnect the original HDMI cable for ship's programming & interactive data when finished.

Access for the HDMI is very difficult, if not impossible with Insides & Oceanviews due to its tight TV mount.

It's possible to use Roku to stream but a lot more work ...

Hi any chance you could post links to your other discussions? Thanks!

Hi any chance you could post links to your other discussions? Thanks!

NCL's ship TV set is "not" a Smart TV and does not have have build-in Chromecast app support, etc. - it has exclusive interactive TV features typical of hospitality grade monitors.

A. You do NOT attempt to change, switch or use a different HDMI input source for your own content - identify & use whatever the specific ship is using there & then. It might or might not work at all, depending on the ship TV set & how it is configured.

B. Easiest, if the input source can be safely disconnected & reconnected - just plug your own HDMI cable (with the iOS Lightening or Samsung adapter/converter plug) between your video source & the monitor's "working" input - and play or cast directly.

C. To stream or cast wirelessly, it is much more complicated. You will need to make sure that you can re-use & re-broadcast a WiFi signal (inTRAnet only, no "outside" access or data, it is a closed loop) - using a laptop or notebook PC that support hotspot functions, typically with an Ethernet and wireless port ... bridged together. I also use a nano travel router that function as a MiFi router (running DD-WRT software) - even with this setup, it doesn't always work at land-based lodging.

D, Your devices with the ability to Chromecast is good on the output end but you still need something like or similar to Roku stick on the HDTV or monitor end to process & put out the signal for the HDMI port to play the source, wirelessly in this case.

E. All these do not involve paying for WiFi on the ship for inTERnet access, the casting function "borrow" the inTRAnet signal to re-broadcast one's own inTRAnet signal ... it might or might NOT work, a case of YMMV. A direct HDMI cable connection with a laptop, tablet, smartphone or iPad/iPhone that support the output directly is most likely to succeed and preferred.

Follow my Signature to see the explanation from the 2015 and 2017 Breakaway "Semi Live" reviews.

5c38c677f0e95f6eb958730c0559d7a0.jpg

be9fe4858347dc4ead302bd732f604b5.jpg

As you can see, the LG TV monitor is a different one, as used on the Gem last year and has a multi-function remote of its own, except, it is firmware locked down. HDMI-1 is in the back & not easy to dis/connect but doable, the Roku Streaming stick is difficult to see but connected & got my personalized homescreen cast onto the LG set.

NCL's ship TV set is "not" a Smart TV and does not have have build-in Chromecast app support, etc. - it has exclusive interactive TV features typical of hospitality grade monitors.

A. You do NOT attempt to change, switch or use a different HDMI input source for your own content - identify & use whatever the specific ship is using there & then. It might or might not work at all, depending on the ship TV set & how it is configured.

B. Easiest, if the input source can be safely disconnected & reconnected - just plug your own HDMI cable (with the iOS Lightening or Samsung adapter/converter plug) between your video source & the monitor's "working" input - and play or cast directly.

C. To stream or cast wirelessly, it is much more complicated. You will need to make sure that you can re-use & re-broadcast a WiFi signal (inTRAnet only, no "outside" access or data, it is a closed loop) - using a laptop or notebook PC that support hotspot functions, typically with an Ethernet and wireless port ... bridged together. I also use a nano travel router that function as a MiFi router (running DD-WRT software) - even with this setup, it doesn't always work at land-based lodging.

D, Your devices with the ability to Chromecast is good on the output end but you still need something like or similar to Roku stick on the HDTV or monitor end to process & put out the signal for the HDMI port to play the source, wirelessly in this case.

E. All these do not involve paying for WiFi on the ship for inTERnet access, the casting function "borrow" the inTRAnet signal to re-broadcast one's own inTRAnet signal ... it might or might NOT work, a case of YMMV. A direct HDMI cable connection with a laptop, tablet, smartphone or iPad/iPhone that support the output directly is most likely to succeed and preferred.

Follow my Signature to see the explanation from the 2015 and 2017 Breakaway "Semi Live" reviews.

5c38c677f0e95f6eb958730c0559d7a0.jpg

be9fe4858347dc4ead302bd732f604b5.jpg

As you can see, the LG TV monitor is a different one, as used on the Gem last year and has a multi-function remote of its own, except, it is firmware locked down. HDMI-1 is in the back & not easy to dis/connect but doable, the Roku Streaming stick is difficult to see but connected & got my personalized homescreen cast onto the LG set.

THANKS MKing

very helpful!

• 3 weeks later...
THANKS MKing

very helpful!

jordans mom

Could you please compiolate your NCL Cabin information?

Sorry for the question, however, I'm still waiting.

NCL Cabin Information Compilation

-NO CABIN QUESTIONS POSTED HERE PLEASE!

THANKS MKing

very helpful!

J's mom (hello, again - J's name of our little grand nephew too, cute & smart rascals) ... a brief follow-up for all the curious tech geeks on CC, based on the Gem last week.

The full details here - in the long Semi-Live review -

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=56031229&postcount=167

To make a long story short, this time - even connecting directly to the HDMI port behind the LG TV proved to be of no use whatsoever, as I noted previously, the default input signal comes from ship's ethernet wiring, not HDMI and not RG-59/cable sourced coaxial I/O.

Even tried a little different trick, not recommended for most, but still "no, can't do" and upon power cycling/reboot, the Smart TV go thru its little auto-setup & configuration, pretty sure it's Linux/Android-based customized TV box programming. Being this is a typical 7 days itinerary and we've not in our stateroom a lot, except for one afternoon - might've tried to run my Linux Mint Betsy LTS off the USB stick to see whether ... anyway - probably won't work either as I could've get it to "see" the Roku streaming stick at all, never mind the double nano router MiFi tricks, etc. It is more challenging than the Breakaway's setup.

Plan C - connected the "Big Blue" speaker via bluetooth & just listen to mp4 off the Sony Viao notebook PC for a little while - got about 200GB worth of media sources loaded for playback ... And, it sure beat the poor choice of interactive TV programming offered onboard. PPV options (since we aren't staying in a suite or Haven) @ $10 per rental is against my "religious" belief - even when we had available OBC to use)

Cruising soon, please "plan" your own accordingly. Regards !