Elevator Roulette

toberman

Have noticed some references to "Elevator Roulette" on these boards where they say it's a gas!! Our roll-calls have done the standard 'cabin/poker crawl', and the 'slot-pull' along with the M&G's, but have never heard of this one. Nobody has explained it, so - anybody got any insight??

Any other get-together things CC members can do to get acquainted would also be appreciated. We normally have a pretty active roll-call, so always fun to get together.

Doug

Several times we have ha lunch together on a sea day. I talked to the Maitre 'd in advance. I gave him an estimate of the number of people and he set aside a part of the dining room for us. Same menu as everyone else. One time, Princess gave us champagne.

Several times we have ha lunch together on a sea day. I talked to the Maitre 'd in advance. I gave him an estimate of the number of people and he set aside a part of the dining room for us. Same menu as everyone else. One time, Princess gave us champagne.

Thanks Paul.. We also set up a reservation in the DR for the first formal night. Really fun... last cruise we had about 20 couples (no free chanpagne for us though :(). Meet in the Piazza/Atrium for drinks and pics then off to the feast.

Have noticed some references to "Elevator Roulette" on these boards where they say it's a gas!! Our roll-calls have done the standard 'cabin/poker crawl', and the 'slot-pull' along with the M&G's, but have never heard of this one. Nobody has explained it, so - anybody got any insight??

Any other get-together things CC members can do to get acquainted would also be appreciated. We normally have a pretty active roll-call, so always fun to get together.

Doug

I don't know what this is but it strikes FEAR into me to hear it. I am a Wheelchair user and it is HELL to try to get an elevator on a ship, either they go right by or they are full or you are waiting and AB people rush in front of you to get on.

Also some ships have a bank of elevators that go to the dining room level but ONLY ONE out of the bank that goes to the accessible level, and so if you can an elevator you have a one in four chance of that one being the one that stops and then there is almost ZERO chance it will have space on it IF it is the one that stops.

PLEASE PEOPLE don't do any GAMES that involve using the elevators.

2 teens got bored on HAL and they hijacked the future cruise consultant's desk and a couple of chairs and loaded them into the elevator then rode up and down and as folks tried to board, the boys asked them if they had reservations. Sounds like a relatively innocent and amusing way to pass an afternoon.

2 teens got bored on HAL and they hijacked the future cruise consultant's desk and a couple of chairs and loaded them into the elevator then rode up and down and as folks tried to board, the boys asked them if they had reservations. Sounds like a relatively innocent and amusing way to pass an afternoon.

Oh my god, you are kidding right? INNOCENT

I don't know what this is but it strikes FEAR into me to hear it. I am a Wheelchair user and it is HELL to try to get an elevator on a ship, either they go right by or they are full or you are waiting and AB people rush in front of you to get on.

Also some ships have a bank of elevators that go to the dining room level but ONLY ONE out of the bank that goes to the accessible level, and so if you can an elevator you have a one in four chance of that one being the one that stops and then there is almost ZERO chance it will have space on it IF it is the one that stops.

PLEASE PEOPLE don't do any GAMES that involve using the elevators.

I am NOT a wheelchair user, but agree with you - "games" using elevators are a HUGE NO NO. Same with escalators. On a ship or anywhere.

Are you really being serious when stating " Sounds like a relatively innocent and amusing way to pass an afternoon" ?

With everything there is to do on these ships, there should never be any need for a person, no matter their age to amuse themselves in this manner. The elevators are there to transfer passengers from floor to floor. They are not amusement rides. Being disabled and having to use a mobility scooter I find this behavior unacceptable. It's even more deplorable that the parents didn't know what their children were doing .

wow, kids taking a person's desk? not cool, not funny. Please kids, do not do this! If that had been MY desk, I would have been livid.

I am on the side of elevators being transport only. No games, no riding up and down, just get in, get to your floor, get out. be courteous to others. let others off before you get in. simple stuff. you'd think.

I do not understand people when it comes to wheelchairs. To me, it's simple, it's like giving up your seat on the bus. Really, what super-important thing is happening that makes me unable to wait for the next one? Or taking the stairs?

[ok, sure, when you give up your seat on the bus, you are still ON the bus, but still... ]

kids should always take stairs :)

michmike, if you were in a wheelchair or scooter, or had some other physical disability, would you then think this was a relatively innocent and amusing way to pass a afternoon? I just wonder why, with all the things offered to kids on a cruise, that they were so bored they thought stealing a desk and chairs was part of the cruise entertainment schedule. I guess this just cements as true the article I read this morning about the Millennials, kids ages 13 to 25 who were discribed as "individuals who were taught to believe they are special, are self possessed and deserve recognition just because of who they are", not what they've accomplished. I guess just being on a great cruise wasn't good enough for these kids, so they had to make life difficult for other passengers. Sorry, but that kind of behavior is NOT innocent or amusing. It's sad and pathetic.

ELEVATORs are NOT TOYs:mad:...this is the GAME that on my last 2 cruises to the Mexican Riviera KIDs were playing 1000+ kids it was a ZOO!!.....PARENTs do you KNOW WHERE YOUR KIDs are and WHAT THEY ARE DOING?:confused:....it was ANNOYING-AGGRAVATING:mad: and started to get a little DANGEROUS when they were closing the elevator doors as people were trying to get on...YES on PURPOSE and LOL....

i dont even want to know what this is with ADULTs involved and i am sure that NON CCers would not be AMUSED if you were PLAYING this GAME with the ELEVATORs:eek:

I believe the OP is referring to "Elevator Roulette" that was mentioned recently in a review of a cruise on the Coral Princess. How I understand it is that a group of people watch the elevators and place small bets on which elevator door is going to open first. It does not involve holding or manipulating elevators nor their doors.

If no one is blocking anyone getting or or off the elevators, it is probably quite harmless.

The reviewer said it was silly fun.

Pearl

What's innocent about this kind of behavior? What's amusing about undisciplined kids playing with elevators?

"Elevator Roulette" is explained on the Princess Forum on a thread entitled "Live from the Coral Princess Dec. 7-22. Pia 1913"

Teenagers were not involved. It was adults.

Before getting all worked up about "Elevator Roulette" find out what it is.

Pearl

Doug

how about a digital scavenger hunt? It may be more fun than elevator roulette :rolleyes: I have a great list I can e mail to you

I will gladly remove myself from any elevator to accomodate a person with any type of visible disability. I also withold judgement of persons boarding and getting off only one floor, up or down, as I realize some disabilities are not visible.

I've never yelled at kids playing in the elevators, I find being nice to them takes them off their guard. A simple "do you really think it's such a good idea to make elevators hard for others to use?" in a soft friendly voice usually takes the fun out of it for them and just may embarrass them. They are anticipating anger from strangers, that's part of their delight while playing pranks.

If there is any truth to the story of a couple of families being ejected halfway through a Mexican Riviera cruise on Christmas Eve, it would be helpful for the cruise lines to make clear their rules -and the penalties for violations; also for there to be wider discussion of what penalties can be imposed. Recognizing what the consequences are can be a fairly effective motivation for appropriate conduct.

If there is any truth to the story of a couple of families being ejected halfway through a Mexican Riviera cruise on Christmas Eve, it would be helpful for the cruise lines to make clear their rules -and the penalties for violations; also for there to be wider discussion of what penalties can be imposed. Recognizing what the consequences are can be a fairly effective motivation for appropriate conduct.

Currently, you're just one thread away!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1124538

Not a bunch here I'd want to cruise with. Not a sense of humor among them. I thought it was inventive. Have spent 33 yrs working w/ convicts and the world would be a better place if more kids occupied themselves w/ what amounts to victimless and imaginative pursuits.

So you had to wait for another elevator. Were you on deadline? You're on VACATION.. roll w/ the punches..

Not a bunch here I'd want to cruise with. Not a sense of humor among them. I thought it was inventive. Have spent 33 yrs working w/ convicts and the world would be a better place if more kids occupied themselves w/ what amounts to victimless and imaginative pursuits.

So you had to wait for another elevator. Were you on deadline? You're on VACATION.. roll w/ the punches..

Did you even bother to read the problems WC guests have with elevators on cruiseships?

On land you might have to make it to one or two floors to do something on vacaiton, on a ship stuff is all over the place and it is nearly impossible to get the elevators where you and chair or scooter can fit. and I find using the stairs with my scooter or chair, is a bit painful!

You may work with convicts but your "humorous'" idea is not harmless nor would it be teaching youth how NOT to be convicts in fact just the opposite, shows them that it is great fun to inconvenience or harm others. And yeah There are people on this thread I would not want to sail with either.

perhaps funny if it was on some Alan Funt Candid Camera show.

wonder if the OP will end up doing the "elevator roulette"?

IF?? someone other than Pearl would tell me WTH it is, instead of going off on rants about something that had nothing to do with the question, I could make an educated decision on whether or not I want to do Elevator Roulette. Right now it seems like 'Russian Roulette' to even ask a question on these boards !!