Magnetic hooks on Zaandam

Lilacat

Can anyone tell me if magnetic hooks will hold on the walls and doors of cabins on the Zaandam or if I should plan on bringing removable sticky -backed hooks instead. This will be our first time on Holland America. Leaving Seattle May 7 to Alaska!:D:D

Can anyone tell me if magnetic hooks will hold on the walls and doors of cabins on the Zaandam or if I should plan on bringing removable sticky -backed hooks instead. This will be our first time on Holland America. Leaving Seattle May 7 to Alaska!:D:D

Yes, friends of ours used them on the Zaandam this past February. Worked very well on the walls and ceiling. I thought it was a great idea!!

Thought magnetic hooks sounded like a good idea, but I could never find surfaces where they would stick on different HAL ships. So if you want something you can be sure will work, take along the 3M removable ones. They have been great.

Thought magnetic hooks sounded like a good idea, but I could never find surfaces where they would stick on different HAL ships. So if you want something you can be sure will work, take along the 3M removable ones. They have been great.

We used magnets to hold up our maps and a magnetic hook on the Zaandam in January this year. We needed the strong ones.

• 1 month later...

Thought I would reply since we just returned from a 23 day cruise on the Zaandam.

I always take magnetic clips to hold papers and such, but in our cabin the only wall where they would attach without sliding down, was the outside wall (next to the window) which wasn’t a very handy spot. My husband had a VERY heavy duty magnet hook that he used on that wall to hang up his backpack which did work OK.

Our cabin was on Deck 3 facing the outdoor promenade deck...not sure if other cabins would be similar.

My husband checked for places the magnets would hold all over the cabin because he is hoping to rig up some sort of clothesline for our January Antarctica cruise. On such a long cruise, we found ourselves washing out a few things now and then. Hanging them on the clothesline in the shower was a bother and the clothes did not dry well in the enclosed, humid space. (We had the large new glass showers.) Since the self serve laundries were removed I’m sure others will be looking for creative ideas for laundry on longer cruises for things they don’t wish to send to the ship’s laundry.

We used magnets to hold up our maps and a magnetic hook on the Zaandam in January this year. We needed the strong ones.

Strong magnets are very heavy and dangerous around thumb drives, MP3 players, external media, etc.

Strong magnets are very heavy and dangerous around thumb drives, MP3 players, external media, etc.

Rare-earth magnets are strong and light. We've used magnet-mounted hooks from Lee Valley (item B in the link http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=73796&cat=1,43326) for a number of years for cruising and they've held on every cabin wall and ceiling so far. I carry 9 of them in my carry on bag and they are very light.

Rare-earth magnets are strong and light. We've used magnet-mounted hooks from Lee Valley (item B in the link http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=73796&cat=1,43326) for a number of years for cruising and they've held on every cabin wall and ceiling so far. I carry 9 of them in my carry on bag and they are very light.

Thanks for the suggestion. Ordered some today.

Have not had luck with our regular magnets after loving to hear about this possibility - DH always brings a large map of the area we are cruising for our cabin wall and has to use sticky tabs which are a nuisance and not always that secure either.

Not sure what the formula is - maybe there is no outer wall space in verandah cabins and other times the magnets have just slid down the door, or failed completely on the inner walls (mainly in R and S class ships). Have not tried them on the bathroom door yet.