Explorer -some photos of new Deck 12 cabins

We are just off the Explorer and had booked a balcony guarantee.

We were assigned cabin 1828 in the new deck 12 cabin area. Obviously with the cabins being new, information on them was quite limited. So we took some photos.

Here is the starboard side with the new deck 12 cabins in view. They are just to the right of the golf balls. Our cabin was the second balcony in from the right, next door but one from where it changed to the panoramic ocean view cabins.

Above the cabins was the deck 13 sunbathing area with new sunloungers.

From what i recall the port side is a mirror image of this.

IMG_2416.jpg

The running track used to go all the way round Deck 12 but it now goes round the back of the Sky Bar instead. Then there is a sunlounger area before the doors into Deck 12.

The automatic door (above the pile of dirty towels) goes directly into the public area of deck 12 next to the lifts.

The door to the right hand side with the port hole in it goes directly into the corridor for the deck 12 cabins. (again - this was a mirror image on the port side).

IMG_2436.jpg

Fromn the deck plans before we went, we could see a toilet very near the cabins - but the usual corridor has been put in and the cabins are separated from this.

IMG_2433.jpg

Standing in the corridor with the cabins behind you, this is the view of the first public areas - the toilet on the right and to the left are the lifts. Beyond the toilet to the right was the spa and the entrance to the port side Deck 12 cabins straight ahead.

IMG_2431.jpg

The cabin itself was very nice -we particularly liked the new lighter wood that they have used and the big flatscreen TV. You can't tell from the photo but the sofa was very long and the whole cabin just seemed very spacious (some of this is no doubt due to them no longer putting a coffee table in the rooms).

Sorry - we forgot to take a photo of the bathroom. That also had the lighter wood in there as a storage area and the sink was a proper sink - rather than a moulded out piece of plastic - it just seemed more "bathroomy" than some of the other cabins we have been in.

Now - the more eagle eyed amongst you may have noticed that the light switch for the balcony light is not where you would expect it to be (the left hand side wall of the balcony door).

After much investigation by ourselves and 2 stateroom attendants I can exclusively reveal that in cabin 1828 the balcony light switch is...

...in Cadiz.

They forgot to put it in when they constructed the rooms!

From what I can gather this was only the case in cabin 1828 - we had the light but no switch. Other cabins apparently had the light AND the switch.

It didn't bother us as the light switch in the cabin also triggered an LED light panel near the balcony doors and this was sufficient light for the balcony. However, it meant the lights in the cabin had to be on - so you couldn't have someone sleeping in the cabin with the lights out and someone on the balcony with the light on.

(So avoid cabin 1828 if this would be a problem).

IMG_0639.jpg

Here is the balcony (and Southampton Ikea!). Normal balcony - 2 chairs (slightly reclinable) and a table. I liked the glass all the way down to the bottom of the balcony - very good for seeing what was going on even when sitting down.

IMG_0642.jpg

Before going on the cruise we were slightly concerned we might feel stuck out of the way in this location and that perhaps if the sea was rough it might move a lot.

This was not the case at all.

In fact we loved the location. For a nice sunny day at sea or sail away it was perfect due to its proximity to deck 11 and 12.

The ship did move more than I expected given the highest seas were about 2.5 - 3 metres (not that it bothered us) but we were surprised on going from the Royal Promenade on deck 5 back to our cabin that it didn't seem to be moving any worse than on deck 5. (when we were on Radiance on the Tasman sea we had Deck 10 as far aft as you can possibly be and there was a noticeable difference in the movement between our cabin and the lower decks but I aren't sure if this was because of the type of movement, pitching vs rolling etc).

If there was any downside at all it was that we used the lifts much more than on other cruises. Anything below Deck 11, all the public areas were really Decks 3-5 so we used the lift. The lifts were very near the cabins though so it wasn't a problem (apart from not walking off our food as quickly!)

All in all we loved this cabin and location. But then, we are easily pleased which is why we always seem to book guarantees!

Any questions - ask away.

Thank you SO MUCH for posting these, minsterman.

I've booked us into one of these cabins (1832 I think) on our October sailing and I've been searching high and low for decent photos of them.

They look really really nice, I love the lighter airier colours and the integrated TV. Cannot wait.

Thank you SO MUCH for posting these, minsterman.

I've booked us into one of these cabins (1832 I think) on our October sailing and I've been searching high and low for decent photos of them.

They look really really nice, I love the lighter airier colours and the integrated TV. Cannot wait.

Very welcome.

This photo shows cabin 1830. We were in cabin 1828 which was just to the left of 1830. So if you are in 1832 it will be just to the right as you walk round the corridor partition.

IMG_2433.jpg

Hope you enjoy it as much as we did.

Hi we where on the same cruise as you. Great idea posting these loads are interested. I only managed to get photos of the panoramic ocean view. We went walk about on deck 12 and one of the stateroom attendants let us take a quick photo. I think his name was naheen. He told us to stay in his cabins next time.

Well done on your cabin allocation they were really lovely up there.

I've never experienced a ship move that much. Did you have vibrations or creaking up there like we had on deck 7?

We had a fab cruise except for a few niggles. I'm half way through my review at the moment.

Great Pics.

We will do Explorer Barcelona-Dubai in Oktober wird our Son. So do you have any pics of the Kids/Youth Outdoor Area Deck 12 Aft?

Before DryDrock there was a toddler Pool with a small Waterslide. Do you know in there is still any toddler Pool around there?

Thanks Alot

Blue

Edited by bluesky999

Hi, Great pictures, we are on this cruise from Barcelona to Dubai, one of these cabins did become free last week but by the time our TA got onto RCI it had gone. I thought I had read that the childrens pool and slide had been removed during drydock (asked by the above poster)

I've never experienced a ship move that much. Did you have vibrations or creaking up there like we had on deck 7?

quote]

Yes we were surprised how much the ship moved compared to the swell of the seas - though we never felt remotely seasick (though I heard some people did).

We didn't notice any vibrations / creaking in our cabin. In the past on different ships sometimes we noticed vibrations when the ship was docking and manoeuvring but we didn't even notice that this time. We would wake up some days (eg Toulon, Cadiz) and wonder whether we had docked yet.

Great Pics.

We will do Explorer Barcelona-Dubai in Oktober wird our Son. So do you have any pics of the Kids/Youth Outdoor Area Deck 12 Aft?

Before DryDrock there was a toddler Pool with a small Waterslide. Do you know in there is still any toddler Pool around there?

Thanks Alot

Blue

Sorry - no photos of that area. Mainly because there was nothing to see - they have taken away the toddler pool and waterslide.

At the Captain's questions and answers on the last sea day one man in the audience complained about its removal as apparently travel agents are still giving out the information that the ship has one.

I think that the policy was that if children aren't toilet trained, they can't use the main pools which leaves them nowhere to go. I saw a paddling pool by the side of the pool one day which someone had brought on board and the crew were helping the parents fill it up with water so their child could sit in that.

I think the area on Deck 12 where the waterslide used to be is now nothing much - there are some chairs there and a table tennis table.

A bit of a waste really.

...After much investigation by ourselves and 2 stateroom attendants I can exclusively reveal that in cabin 1828 the balcony light switch is...

...in Cadiz.

They forgot to put it in when they constructed the rooms!...

That got a real laugh out of me:p

We were on the Explorer for 14 nights shortly before it left Florida for drydock in Cadiz. I enjoyed seeing and hearing about the new rooms.

Great Pics.

Thanks Alot

Blue

Hi

I was on the 29/06 sailing - there is no toddler pool and I heard that some other parents were asked to take their toddlers out of the other pools. We brought a blow up pool and I'm so glad we did. There is a big playroom for toddlers on deck 2. I have loads of photos and will upload them in a review within the next few days.

Thanks for the great photos. We have booked a couple of balcony guarantees recently and didn't even think about the possibility that it might throw up one of these. They are category E? Looks nice.

Must say we rarely use the balcony light so that would not worry us. Funny though!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Hi

I was on the 29/06 sailing - there is no toddler pool and I heard that some other parents were asked to take their toddlers out of the other pools. We brought a blow up pool and I'm so glad we did. There is a big playroom for toddlers on deck 2. I have loads of photos and will upload them in a review within the next few days.

Ah so we didn't meet but I did see you and your paddling pool. Great idea. Was it you that raised the point in the captains corner? Because I thought the response from the hotel director was quite sh*tty; Not my problem kind of response.

Sorry - no photos of that area. Mainly because there was nothing to see - they have taken away the toddler pool and waterslide.

At the Captain's questions and answers on the last sea day one man in the audience complained about its removal as apparently travel agents are still giving out the information that the ship has one.

I think that the policy was that if children aren't toilet trained, they can't use the main pools which leaves them nowhere to go. I saw a paddling pool by the side of the pool one day which someone had brought on board and the crew were helping the parents fill it up with water so their child could sit in that.

I think the area on Deck 12 where the waterslide used to be is now nothing much - there are some chairs there and a table tennis table.

A bit of a waste really.

I thought that area was a waste also.

quote]

Yes we were surprised how much the ship moved compared to the swell of the seas - though we never felt remotely seasick (though I heard some people did).

We didn't notice any vibrations / creaking in our cabin. In the past on different ships sometimes we noticed vibrations when the ship was docking and manoeuvring but we didn't even notice that this time. We would wake up some days (eg Toulon, Cadiz) and wonder whether we had docked yet.

I don't get sea sick I get the opposite - land sick. Takes me a week once home for the ears to stop hurting and my head to stop swaying. I'm just awkward like that lol. My hubby suffers though. A lot of people commented on the movement of the ship compared to the swells.

We spoke to our waiter about it and asked if he had noticed any difference since the deck 12 cabins were added, with the centre of gravity changing. He said it could well be and that this captain wasn't a fan of stabilisers.

Ah so we didn't meet but I did see you and your paddling pool. Great idea. Was it you that raised the point in the captains corner? Because I thought the response from the hotel director was quite sh*tty; Not my problem kind of response.

No that wasn't me at the captains corner! If you spotted a lady with a toddler in a sling at any point that was me! I was definitely the only one on there with a sling.

No that wasn't me at the captains corner! If you spotted a lady with a toddler in a sling at any point that was me! I was definitely the only one on there with a sling.

Gorgeous little girl with curly hair? Would shuffle on her bum away from you and then you would hold her hand and she'd stand up and walk back?

Ha ha yes that was definitely us, she took her first steps on the cruise and has spent most of this weekend walking. Have lots of videos of her on the cruise of her last few bum shuffling days!

We sat in the bar near you one afternoon. The one that had the seat within the huge picture frame. We were laughing watching her shuffle away. Then later on the cruise I remember seeing her fast asleep in her sling. Gorgeous! Just stuck out 'coz I'm a registered childminder so cooing over cute babies and toddlers is part of my job lol.

Shame we didn't actually get to meet x

I don't get sea sick I get the opposite - land sick. Takes me a week once home for the ears to stop hurting and my head to stop swaying. I'm just awkward like that lol. My hubby suffers though. A lot of people commented on the movement of the ship compared to the swells.

We spoke to our waiter about it and asked if he had noticed any difference since the deck 12 cabins were added, with the centre of gravity changing. He said it could well be and that this captain wasn't a fan of stabilisers.

I wonder why the captain isn't a fan of stabilisers, you would think the comfort of his passengers would be his main concern. This isn't looking good for our 1st ever cruise on 3 November. One of the things we were concerned about was seasickness. If I'd know we would have perhaps chosen the only other cruise line that does Singapore to Perth.

I wonder why the captain isn't a fan of stabilisers, you would think the comfort of his passengers would be his main concern. This isn't looking good for our 1st ever cruise on 3 November. One of the things we were concerned about was seasickness. If I'd know we would have perhaps chosen the only other cruise line that does Singapore to Perth.

I don't know that it's true that a Captain would not use stabilizers. However, I do know that deploying stabilizers does increase drag and causes increased fuel consumption if they want to maintain the same speed as they would without the stabilizers deployed.