Scenic Eclipse

Unregistered, just back from your cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:11 PM.
20 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
We are currently booked on the January 17, 2019 Antarctic cruise, but in light of the fact that Scenic appears to still be making it up as they go (I had more than one person tell me that there would be no lift/elevator access to Deck 9 - which has since been rescinded), their ridiculous luggage limitation, and their inflexibility with flights, I'm about to kiss the US$3,000.00 deposits goodbye and cancel.

So if anyone's interested in Owner's Penthouse Suite 901, it'll soon be available.

I'll continue to follow developments on this thread, and hope you all have a great time - maybe we'll try again in a couple of years.
Ontario
686 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by Host Jazzbeau
Surely many Scenic customers fly Business class, which entitles you to check 2 large bags and have 2 carry-ons [including the 'personal item'] per person. If I wanted to live out of a backpack, I would book a Rick Steves tour...
They may want backpackers! I noticed awhile back that they have switched the piece of complimentary Scenic Club luggage to a complimentary backpack or a unisex satchel.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
MOST RECENT

•October 2016 QM2 Eastbound
•October 2016 Celebrity Eclipse TA Broadway,Boston and Beaches
•December 2016/January 2017 Crystal Serenity/Island Holidays/Yucatan 21 days
•December 2017 Crystal Serenity Carib (14d)
•January 2018 Caribbean Princess
Panama
•May-June 2018 Crystal Serenity
22 days Rome-Dover
•October 2018 Scenic Eclipse Yacht Cuba in Depth CANCELLED
Ontario
686 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by cruising kirby
See my comments at post #50. I am not concerned now about the baggage "allowance". Scenic has told me it is just a guide and won't be strictly enforced (they are not going to leave an "extra" suitcase on the dock as the owner boards a 5* cruiseship!). My intention is to take my usual - 2 larger suitcases and 1 smaller suitcase (total), for my husband and I. That falls into their "reasonable" luggage allowance, as currently practiced on Scenic river ships.
We are booked on " Cuba in Depth" in October. Maybe I have missed it, but does anyone know the evening dress code?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
MOST RECENT

Panama
22 days Rome-Dover
Ontario
686 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by boccenana
Still not getting any information updates. When I checked my passenger forms they have added Terms and Conditions that are readable. Also pdf form to give Medical Director of the ship when you arrive.

The terms and conditions still state ONE BAG 42LB. limit. Absurd.

I just came back from one week to Ambergris Caye, Belize. Traveled alone and my bag weighed 61 pounds.

I cannot believe they expect my husband and I to do a 23 day cruise plus pre and post days with 42 pounds. Am I sounding spoiled?

Anyone with better information please post here.

Thanks guys.
The terms and conditions I have state one case ( 30"x21"X11)/(76x53x28cms) and 50lbs/23kgs. Not much better!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
MOST RECENT

Panama
22 days Rome-Dover
Spain
16 Posts
Joined Jun 2018
Originally posted by Cancun01
We are booked on " Cuba in Depth" in October. Maybe I have missed it, but does anyone know the evening dress code?

We are also booked on the "Cuba in Depth" sailing of 18th October,I think,we are having a terrible time trying to get any information with regards anything! I have contacted Boston Headquarters,I get no reply what so ever.I had to book through Spain because this is where I reside,had to make payments by Bank Transfer!!!!! Have never done this before,always paid with Credit Card. Yet to receive a receipt of payment which was sent two weeks ago. The Scenic representatives here in Spain do not know anything,always saying that they have to contact headquarters,but, if headquarters does not know,how will they. We have very important issue that needs to be confirmed,I shall not go into it, I need an answer,now of course we are within the 130 days Penalty period! Have sailed 5 times with Silversea and never had any problems.So far the Customer Relations with Scenic has been abysmal. I can only hope the ship meets up to all the expectations!!!!!!!!!! So you can imagine "dress code", would only surmise it would be as other Luxury cruise ships.
Oro Valley, Arizona
65 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Roll call for Scenic Eclipse 23 days Tenerife to Athens April 5 2019.

Now I am getting very concerned about our cruise.

We are not volume cruisers, have only done a 16 day Silver Cloud Panama Canal and this will be a 23 day Mediterranean. These are our dream cruises. I would sure hate for this one to be a screw up.

Would have stuck with Silver Sea but reports the last few years weren't exactly glowing.

If this is a mistake I really want to know NOW!

We are getting so little information and certainly not any kind of special treatment like Silver Sea gave 10 years ago.

I would have expected a lot more from a "6 Star" cruise.

Am I wrong?

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

44 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Fron having experienced Scenic with 1 river cruise, I do recall the customer service, information and feedback was not good, but the actual boat, crew and food were first class, so here's hoping ��
Ontario
686 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Scenic are currently giving information sessions across Canada. Unfortunately, we were not able to go to the one in our city last week. We have been before and information regarding "open seating" in the restaurants was explained at that time.

We paid our final payment on Friday by cc through our TA. We received a receipt with all of our info., terms and conditions etc. within the hour from our TA but it was issued by Scenic. I then completed the trip personalizer. This morning I received a " Welcome to Scenic" email which basically said " glad you have chosen to join us" and outlined all of their products. Nothing of any consequence or that I did not already know. My understanding is that the documents are issued within the month before sailing.

I asked about the dress code because in my experience dress codes do vary even among the luxury lines.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
MOST RECENT

Panama
22 days Rome-Dover
Ontario
686 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Now I am getting very concerned about our cruise.

We are not volume cruisers, have only done a 16 day Silver Cloud Panama Canal and this will be a 23 day Mediterranean. These are our dream cruises. I would sure hate for this one to be a screw up.

Would have stuck with Silver Sea but reports the last few years weren't exactly glowing.

If this is a mistake I really want to know NOW!

We are getting so little information and certainly not any kind of special treatment like Silver Sea gave 10 years ago.

I would have expected a lot more from a "6 Star" cruise.

Am I wrong?

In my experience we don't usually hear much from any cruiseline until after final payment.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
MOST RECENT

Panama
22 days Rome-Dover
Ontario
686 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Originally posted by Mistinguett
We are also booked on the "Cuba in Depth" sailing of 18th October,I think,we are having a terrible time trying to get any information with regards anything! I have contacted Boston Headquarters,I get no reply what so ever.I had to book through Spain because this is where I reside,had to make payments by Bank Transfer!!!!! Have never done this before,always paid with Credit Card. Yet to receive a receipt of payment which was sent two weeks ago. The Scenic representatives here in Spain do not know anything,always saying that they have to contact headquarters,but, if headquarters does not know,how will they. We have very important issue that needs to be confirmed,I shall not go into it, I need an answer,now of course we are within the 130 days Penalty period! Have sailed 5 times with Silversea and never had any problems.So far the Customer Relations with Scenic has been abysmal. I can only hope the ship meets up to all the expectations!!!!!!!!!! So you can imagine "dress code", would only surmise it would be as other Luxury cruise ships.
From my understanding, the Boston office is for USA based passengers. The Canadian office is based in Vancouver and they have contacted me through my TA when the itinerary changed and to tell us that the stateroom size was larger than advertised in the brochure.

If you have an important issue your TA should be assisting you. Scenic do not appear to have an office in Europe. The head office info is:

Level 4
25 Watt Street
Newcastle
NSW 2300 Australia
[email protected]
scenic.com.au

Hope this helps and that you get your issue resolved. Good luck!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
MOST RECENT

Panama
22 days Rome-Dover
Spain
16 Posts
Joined Jun 2018
Originally posted by Cancun01
From my understanding, the Boston office is for USA based passengers. The Canadian office is based in Vancouver and they have contacted me through my TA when the itinerary changed and to tell us that the stateroom size was larger than advertised in the brochure.

If you have an important issue your TA should be assisting you. Scenic do not appear to have an office in Europe. The head office info is:

Level 4
25 Watt Street
Newcastle
NSW 2300 Australia
[email protected]
scenic.com.au

Hope this helps and that you get your issue resolved. Good luck!
Thank you. Keeping my fingers crossed,see you on board,hopefully!
Ontario
686 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
Thank you. Keeping my fingers crossed,see you on board,hopefully!
Hopefully you can resolve your concern. I feel your frustration from here!!!! I have toll free phone numbers but I don't think they work outside of Canada.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
MOST RECENT

Panama
22 days Rome-Dover
17 Posts
Joined Jun 2018
Originally posted by AnnOther1
We are currently booked on the January 17, 2019 Antarctic cruise, but in light of the fact that Scenic appears to still be making it up as they go (I had more than one person tell me that there would be no lift/elevator access to Deck 9 - which has since been rescinded), their ridiculous luggage limitation, and their inflexibility with flights, I'm about to kiss the US$3,000.00 deposits goodbye and cancel.

So if anyone's interested in Owner's Penthouse Suite 901, it'll soon be available.

I'll continue to follow developments on this thread, and hope you all have a great time - maybe we'll try again in a couple of years.

DearAnnOther1,

Thank you for your review and we are sorry to hear about your decision to cancel at this time. Due to the nature of our cruise and this particular destination, there are certain restrictions we must abide by such as the luggage limitations to meet the airfare conditions. Unfortunately, the airlines scheduling and changes to scheduling are also outside of our control. Scenic Eclipse however has a multitude of destinations that we will be sailing to and perhaps there will be another destination that is more favourable to you in the future.

Best wishes,
The Scenic Team
17 Posts
Joined Jun 2018

Dear Mistinguett,

We are sorry to hear you are having difficulties getting through to someone. If you could please email your contact details and booking number through to [email protected], one of the team will be able to contact you.

Best wishes,
The Scenic Team
Australia
748 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
Scenic Tours!!!!! It is great to see you are on this board. You will see a number of people are getting quite anxious about the Scenic Eclipse. I think this is mainly due to the lack of information/conflicting information currently available. Your timely responses here will be most appreciated I am sure.
Sunshine Coast -Australia
2,626 Posts
Joined May 2011
The baggage restriction on cruises to Antarctica from Ushuaia is the same for all cruise lines.It is due to the planes flying in and out of Ushuaia Here is a thread from the Silversea board.
https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/s....php?t=2568749.
I know Ponant have the same restrictions.

The team on board for the Antarctica cruises should be first rate.The person in charge of the Expedition staff is Kara Weller from Silversea.She is very experienced with cruising in Antarctica and a lovely person as well.Scenic has a few short videos on youtube with Kara.One here-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH9xu-axyk0

They certainly are getting some experienced people into management positions for the Eclipse.
http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/...pse-debut.html

So we are looking forward to our cruise.We never book a cruise in a brand new ship so our cruise is in August 2019 from Iceland to quebec.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Alexandr Pushkin- 1988 - 3 day Bicentennial Tall Ships Cruise
SIKUMI - August 2006 - 8 day Inside Passage Alaska
ATHALA II - 2008 - 8 day Galapagos cruise
ORION - July 2009 - Broome to Darwin
SILVER EXPLORER (PA II) - August 2010 - Arctic
ORION - December 2010 Antarctica- Mawsons Hut
SILVER SHADOW - May 2011 - Incheon to Anchorage
SILVER WIND-July 2012-Black Sea
SILVER CLOUD -November 2012 Bridgetown-Amazon-Bridgetown
SILVER EXPLORER-March 2013.Capetown-Accra.
SILVER EXPLORER-September 2014.Sapporo-Lautoka
ORCAELLA-December 2014.Mandalay-Bagan
SILVER CLOUD- June 2015. Copenhagen-Archangel-Copenhagen
SILVER EXPLORER - September 2015 Nassau- Cuba-Guayaquil 24 days B2B
CALEDONIAN SKY April 2016 Japan Cherry Blossom Cruise 13 days.
SILVER WHISPER August 2016 Stockholm/SPB/Copenhagen/Southampton B2B 18 days

*** FUTURE CRUISES ***

SILVER MUSE 2/2/2019 Sydney to Auckland

Oro Valley, Arizona
65 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Originally posted by cruising kirby
Scenic Tours!!!!! It is great to see you are on this board. You will see a number of people are getting quite anxious about the Scenic Eclipse. I think this is mainly due to the lack of information/conflicting information currently available. Your timely responses here will be most appreciated I am sure.
Indeed it is good to see someone from Scenic is actually reading these posts. It's the first place I would look if I wanted to know how our future passengers are viewing our customer service. Good sign.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Miami, FL
401 Posts
Joined Nov 2012
Originally posted by ScenicTours
DearAnnOther1,

There are certain restrictions we must abide by such as the luggage limitations to meet the airfare conditions.

Best wishes,
The Scenic Team
Hello Scenic Team. Hoping you can give a definitive answer on this to ease many of our minds. For non-Antartica sailings on the Eclipse, or in other words, Eclipse sailings that represent a "standard" experience and do not have special requirements (i.e. a Mediterranean voyage)...are guests still limited to 1 suitcase at 42 lbs?

If Scenic as you say quoted above, is abiding by airline luggage allowances, many airlines for international flights allow 2 checked pieces of luggage. So will we then be allowed to bring 2 suitcases onboard per person?

It's understandable for Scenic River Cruises to have the 1-suitcase luggage limitation due to the extremely small size of the vessels. However as the Eclipse is an ocean-vessel representing a more typical luxury ocean cruise experience, most of us expected that luggage allowance to be more generous, as the spacial limitations would not be an issue.

Would appreciate any clarity you can provide on the matter.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
UPCOMING CRUISES
Symphony of the Seas - Bahamas, August 31st, 2019
Mariner of the Seas - Bahamas, August 31st, 2018

PAST CRUISES
Mariner of the Seas - Bahamas, Shakedown Cruise, June 22nd, 2018
Symphony of the Seas — Spain, Pre-inaugural, March 17, 2018
Regent Explorer - Caribbean, February 9th, 2018
Celebrity Reflection - Exotic Caribbean, November 17th, 2017
Enchantment of the Seas - Irma Evacuation Cruise to Nowhere, September 8, 2017
Azamara Quest - Venice & the Amalfi Coast, July 14th, 2017
Celebrity Reflection - Southern Caribbean, November 12th, 2016
Harmony of the Seas - Bahamas, Inaugurals, November 8th, 2016
Empress of the Seas - Shakedown Cruise to Nowhere, May 26th, 2016
Allure of the Seas - Western Caribbean, November 15th, 2015
Norwegian Epic - Western Caribbean, March 30th, 2014
Norwegian Epic - Eastern Caribbean, March 9th, 2013

THE CRUISES THAT NEVER WERE
Scenic Eclipse - Mediterranean, September 14th, 2018 Regent Explorer - Mediterranean, October 4th, 2016
Oro Valley, Arizona
65 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Originally posted by towel-animal
Hello Scenic Team. Hoping you can give a definitive answer on this to ease many of our minds. For non-Antartica sailings on the Eclipse, or in other words, Eclipse sailings that represent a "standard" experience and do not have special requirements (i.e. a Mediterranean voyage)...are guests still limited to 1 suitcase at 42 lbs?

If Scenic as you say quoted above, is abiding by airline luggage allowances, many airlines for international flights allow 2 checked pieces of luggage. So will we then be allowed to bring 2 suitcases onboard per person?

It's understandable for Scenic River Cruises to have the 1-suitcase luggage limitation due to the extremely small size of the vessels. However as the Eclipse is an ocean-vessel representing a more typical luxury ocean cruise experience, most of us expected that luggage allowance to be more generous, as the spacial limitations would not be an issue.

Would appreciate any clarity you can provide on the matter.
Well put Miami, looking forward to Scenic's answer.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Australia
748 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
And let's hope that Scenic's response to the luggage question is the same as I received from their Sydney office (at post 50)! I am fairly certain that if they insist on only one suitcase per person on a "normal" cruise, there will be much agitation (and non compliance)! Passengers used to luxury ocean cruise lines expect to take whatever luggage they choose, and many take 2 suitcases per person, particularly for longer cruises.